Fist? another way to make it stronger?

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, This month Black Belt Magazine has an article by Chuck Sullivan "the Indomitable fist"

Please read the article! It will change the way you make your fist!

Short cut of the story...put your thumb on top of the flexed finger,(Issuanyu stylist do this alot?).

The act of repostioning your thumb shortens the ligaments and muscles in your wrist and strengthening the joint.

Plus punch more vertical for more knuckles impact...!

The article take's several pages in the magazine..I suggest you get a hold of one : Read it first for more explantion!

Many other styles have been doing this for a long time....after reading the article...Now one can understand the WHY's of this fist...IT WILL CHANGE YOU WAYS OF MAKING A FIST....it has for me.....Aloha

PS:just when you learn one thing...something new changes it...(this is not new)..just never understood by me....NOW I KNOW!

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Also "Chuck" mentions in the book written by Bruce Lees widow,Linda Lee. "The Bruce Lee Story"...pages 29,39 &40 shows Bruce Lee with the regular fist....BUT on the cover of the book --shows Bruce Lee with this capped fist.

Chuck saids he doesn't know when Bruce change to this style of fist.

You gotta read the article!! ....Aloha

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'll read the article

i have used th capped fist for 30 years now after my instuctor showed it to me

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I can't deny the strength of the vertical capped fist. My only commentary regarding it is that there is no such thing as a best fist...only the best fist for the situation.

My two cents...

Kenpojujitsu3

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
still learning said:
Hello, This month Black Belt Magazine has an article by Chuck Sullivan "the Indomitable fist"

Please read the article! It will change the way you make your fist!

Short cut of the story...put your thumb on top of the flexed finger,(Issuanyu stylist do this alot?).

The act of repostioning your thumb shortens the ligaments and muscles in your wrist and strengthening the joint.

Plus punch more vertical for more knuckles impact...!

The article take's several pages in the magazine..I suggest you get a hold of one : Read it first for more explantion!

Many other styles have been doing this for a long time....after reading the article...Now one can understand the WHY's of this fist...IT WILL CHANGE YOU WAYS OF MAKING A FIST....it has for me.....Aloha

PS:just when you learn one thing...something new changes it...(this is not new)..just never understood by me....NOW I KNOW!

Sounds like the "Chuck Liddell Fist". Gonna have to check this article out.

OP
S

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Starting to find more people who use the fist this way! Many do not know why? Buy there Teachers told them to punch this way!

After reading the article it make sense. .........Aloha

soul_sword34

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I was taught by an Okinawan instructor to make a regular fist except to straighten the forefinger so it points towards the elbow. He claimed this made the fist stronger in that the energy will have a way out instead of shattering your bones. I don't know. The verticle fist was taught to me in Kenpo and really helps with speed IMHO too.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
soul_sword34 said:
I was taught by an Okinawan instructor to make a regular fist except to straighten the forefinger so it points towards the elbow. He claimed this made the fist stronger in that the energy will have a way out instead of shattering your bones. I don't know.

He was probably an instructor of the Shuri system, where they use such a fist. The forefinger is straightened, and the thumb pushes down on both the forefinger (flattened), and middle finger (curled).

It does make a tighter fist, and as far as I've seen, has no drawbacks, even when hitting a wall-mounted heavy bag.

funnytiger

Blue Belt
Reaction score
If I am picturing this correctly, we too use this method in Jow Ga. We use a lot of wheel punches and by moving the thumb to this position it exposes the knuckles more for impact and more damage to our opponent and not our thumb. :)

Latest Discussions