first time sparring krav help?

indycore317

White Belt
Reaction score
ok so i am going to go to our schools "stand up fight" class for the first time,all i know is i need headgear,mouth guard,cup and shin guard

what should i expect of full conat sparring in krav maga class?

does that mean full but light contact?....or does everyone hit there partner as hard as they can?....wouldnt that promote lots of injury?

or is it somewhere inbetween light contact and as hard as you can?
ive never been in a real fight so i have no idea what to do,i dont want to hit someone too hard,but i dont want to go too light?
sorry if this is a wierd question but can someone enlighten me so i know what to expect please? :)

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Have you asked your instructor? I think that is the best place to get this kind of information, rather than asking on an internet forum.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Have to agre with FC here go and ask the instructor, he will know what is best for you.

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ok so i am going to go to our schools "stand up fight" class for the first time,all i know is i need headgear,mouth guard,cup and shin guard

does that mean full but light contact?....or does everyone hit there partner as hard as they can?....wouldnt that promote lots of injury?

ive never been in a real fight so i have no idea what to do,i dont want to hit someone too hard,but i dont want to go too light?
sorry if this is a wierd question but can someone enlighten me so i know what to expect please? :)

These are questions that you should really be asking your instructor, but judging from what I've heard and seen from various Krav Maga orgs., the sparring will most likely be intense. There will be contact. Here are a few clips as examples:

A few clips from the KMF in NYC headed by Rhon Mizrachi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVXujBQkdZY&feature=channel_page

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNyUy_-z8c&feature=channel_page

These I believe, are from the KMWW group in Ca.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCnaHIu6ELM&feature=related

Last edited by a moderator:

zen4me

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

The suggestions to speak with your Instructor about it first are spot on. That said, if its anything like our fight classes, the first few weeks will be spent working on sparring techniques (much different than when you work on stuff in Krav class) - with some sparring to practice the techs and get used to being hit. Any actual sparring will be done, but likely at 50-80% speed and power to further help acclimatize you to hitting and being hit but also to work on strike recognition, putting strikes together and doing defenses, as well as movement and distancing.

Good luck! Fight class is fun :)

- Kelly

Latest Discussions