First Krav Experience

Qwik

White Belt
Reaction score
Well, did my first class last night.

Was going with a friend, so he came over beforehand, and we watched this promotional DVD they'd given him...bad news. Cheesy lit (for those into photog/lighting, think "key light only") shots of the instructors looking "tough", and an extensive portion on J-Lo's role in "Enough" (glad I missed that one) and her use of Krav Maga therein. Uh oh.
Ever the optimist, however, I said, "Well, hey, it could be they wanted a promotional DVD but just didn't want to spend a lot of money on it. This could still work out."
I got some dubious glances, but we went anyway. As we got there, the window that looked out onto the street was so fogged up that you couldn't see in. I figured at the very least maybe we'd get a good workout. So, we go in, get shown around, notice that belt tests are $60 for the first (yellow), $85 for successive (orange up), grow slightly more concerned about all the marketing stuff, but move on to start the class.

They started off with jogging around the gym, jumping jacks, etc. The warmup went on a little long, which had me concerned about paying $120/mo. for aerobics...BUT after the warmup was through, we went right into some very solid defense technique, which allayed quite a few of my fears.

They went into important basics that I've always found lacking in most of the places I've looked...it was "here's how to move, here's how you want to be on your feet, here's when to use this type of strike versus this type of strike, here's things you're going to want to train into muscle memory, etc." Lots of work using focus mitts, and some solid drills. All good, I was really enjoying myself...I knew that a lot of what we were learning was considered "nothing special, just basic self-defense stuff" by a lot of people, but my stance on that is: "Hey, you have to start somewhere." Anyone who expects to go into a gym once or twice and come out knowing sooper ninja seekrits! is silly.

So at this point in the game, about halfway through the class, I figured I'd be getting my money's worth...I was getting solid self-defense technique, and an intense workout. I hadn't seen any Krav specific technique yet, but I figured it was coming.
Then they picked up the pace. Oh.
I got my *** KICKED. Intense training, mixed drills, fast pace. No relenting. I loved it.

THEN we finally went into some Krav technique...and that's when I fell in love. When the first technique we were taught was a headlock counter that started with a blow to the groin and finished with an optional (extremely destructive) shot to the windpipe, I knew I'd found the art for me. Simple, brutal, effective, no BS.
I am VERY pleased with my first experience at Krav Maga SF.

One of the things I really liked was the fact that when they were teaching us KM specific "techniques" (such as the headlock counter) it wasn't just "memorize this series of moves and repeat" like I've seen in so many MA places...it was active "here's what someones body will be like when they have you in a headlock, here's how the balance of that works, here's where their exposed spots will be, here's a few ways to take advantage of that, feel free to experiment" which is EXACTLY the kind of training I was looking for.

One of the other things I was concerned about prior to walking into KM was "cold patterns" -wherein the partner you're training with puts you in a weak headlock and doesn't resist as you pull a bunch of fancy nonsense that looks great on a compliant partner, but would never work in real life. I'm pleased to say that that wasn't a problem either as, after a few cold runs to get the feel for the motion down, our partner was to actively resist as much as possible to teach us how to use the techniques against a real foe.
Fantastic.

The only downside was that with the intensity of the workout, I had an old untreated shoulder injury flare up, which I'm concerned might hamper my training in the future.
...Anyone have any experience with shoulder injuries? ;p

Other than that, I *LOVED* it. KM sf is no joke, even if some of their marketing is. I'm thrilled. Signed up right after class.

Thanks everyone for all the great advice :]

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounds like you had a great time! Glad to hear it!:ultracool I remember going to that seminar a while back...we started the warmup session and it seemed like it was never ending. I'm think, "Yeah, and I'm supposed to have enough energy to finish the rest of the day after this??" It was great though, and it certainly showed my weak areas.

Its good to see that they're taking the time to fully explain all the fine points of the techniques, etc. The instructors certainly sound like they're taking pride in what they're doing.

Congrats on finding a school that you like!

Mike

OP
Q

Qwik

White Belt
Reaction score
MJS said:
Sounds like you had a great time! Glad to hear it!:ultracool I remember going to that seminar a while back...we started the warmup session and it seemed like it was never ending. I'm think, "Yeah, and I'm supposed to have enough energy to finish the rest of the day after this??" It was great though, and it certainly showed my weak areas.

Its good to see that they're taking the time to fully explain all the fine points of the techniques, etc. The instructors certainly sound like they're taking pride in what they're doing.

Congrats on finding a school that you like!

Mike

Fun fact - it is now two days after my workout and I feel like I'm paralyzed from the waist up

owwwww....looks like somebody was out of shape xD

Kensai

Black Belt
Reaction score
Strangely enough, my old man, who's NEVER been interested in MA at all, has started tai chi recently for health (he's 61, recently quit smoking) and has enjoyed a couple of sessions now. He was persuaded to try a KM class on Tuesday evening. Said it was good, but too heavy for him. Will wonders never cease. I've generally heard that the marketing is cheese, but the content is better. Good stuff. KM looks pretty cool to me.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sounds like my Krav Maga experience. I attended a KM class with an old college buddy during my recent trip to Los Angeles. I also got my tail kicked by the intense warmup exercises. I haven't had to do that many pushups since my Army ROTC days, and was ready to pass out halfway through the class. I also liked the techniques we reviewed that night; it was escaping from a chokehold.

I looked into joining the local KM school, but unfortunately, it was shut down. I probably couldn't afford it anyway; the LA instructor told me that lessons averaged $120/month.

OP
Q

Qwik

White Belt
Reaction score
Swordlady said:
Sounds like my Krav Maga experience. I attended a KM class with an old college buddy during my recent trip to Los Angeles. I also got my tail kicked by the intense warmup exercises. I haven't had to do that many pushups since my Army ROTC days, and was ready to pass out halfway through the class. I also liked the techniques we reviewed that night; it was escaping from a chokehold.

I looked into joining the local KM school, but unfortunately, it was shut down. I probably couldn't afford it anyway; the LA instructor told me that lessons averaged $120/month.

Yeah, it's def. expensive. Worth it though, I'm learning a ton. Turns out the second, third, etc class arent as bad...I think they only do the super high intensity workout for newcomers to scare off the weak ones....

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Qwik said:
Yeah, it's def. expensive. Worth it though, I'm learning a ton. Turns out the second, third, etc class arent as bad...I think they only do the super high intensity workout for newcomers to scare off the weak ones....

Sounds great to me - looks like you're getting in super shape while learning some good MA as well.

OP
Q

Qwik

White Belt
Reaction score
Jonathan Randall said:
Sounds great to me - looks like you're getting in super shape while learning some good MA as well.

Fun Fact: I should never have opened my mouth about how classes were now "less intense".

Last nights class was brutal, and I am hurting today. Of course, the fact that I'm coming back from strep and still on antibiotics might have something to do with that ;p

I talked to some guys there who go to two classes a night, 3 days in a row...jesus.
I guess that's one way to get into shape fast.

Still learning lots of great technique...last nights class was really full and there were a lot of people who were gearing up to take their belt test, so there were some really good guys in there.

Last night we worked on both super basic strike technique (perfecting your groin kick, OOoo (also roundhouse kicks)) and also the more complex "what to do if" type stuff...focused on response to a neck push from behind. We did some drills with kick pads called pendulums where the person holding the pad moved it from side to side in a pendulum motion without slowing down, while the person practicing was supposed to kick the pad as much as possible using the best kick available to them.
Took a good bit of concentration to track the pad.

I mention that because it became part of the awesome drill we did at the end of the night...three person groups, one holding pad doing pendulum, one trying to hit pad. And the third...well, while the middle guy was trying to focus on the pad, the third guy was to sneak up behind him and actually try to put him into the wall using a neck push from behind, which of course, the middle guy would have to counter using the technique learned in class.
Great drill, ton of fun.

Looking forward to next class, but even more looking forward to being off these bloody antibiotics so I can be at 100% again.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Sounds like you're having a good time. Glad to hear it.

The only thing that worries me is the prices I'm reading here. I guess $120 monthly is average in America, but I pay 150 shekels (1 shekel is less than 25 cents) monthly for two double-lessons weekly.

$60 for a yellow belt test?! I payed just over half of that for my black belt test.

The headlock technique is really cool. Try this one, it's a very unlikely situation, but it's creative and fun: your partner grabs you in a headlock with one arm, and cups the other over his nuts, effectively preventing you from smacking him there. You take the closer hand (the one that's supposed to pull his hair later on) and throw a chop between his legs from behind towards his groin, as if you were trying to cleave him in half from the bottom up. The reaction to this is usually for him to throw his pelvis forwards to avoid be so ferociously violated. Fortunately for you, he usually moves his hand away from his crotch, eagerly awaiting to be smacked by your other hand towards the regular completion of the technique.

Loki

Black Belt
Reaction score
Qwik said:
The only downside was that with the intensity of the workout, I had an old untreated shoulder injury flare up, which I'm concerned might hamper my training in the future.
...Anyone have any experience with shoulder injuries? ;p

My instructor has a really bad old shoulder injury that effectively prevents him from training. He dislocated it badly when he was a kid, and then as a teen he trained too hard while disregarding the pain and fudged it up again. Our organization is overly concious of injury, and if we're injured, we slow down or take a break. See a doctor for advice on how to train and take care of your shoulder at the same time, and listen to your body: if it hurts, slow down or stop completely. Also make sure your instructor knows about your shoulders.

Train safe

OP
Q

Qwik

White Belt
Reaction score
Loki said:
Sounds like you're having a good time. Glad to hear it.

The only thing that worries me is the prices I'm reading here. I guess $120 monthly is average in America, but I pay 150 shekels (1 shekel is less than 25 cents) monthly for two double-lessons weekly.

$60 for a yellow belt test?! I payed just over half of that for my black belt test.

The headlock technique is really cool. Try this one, it's a very unlikely situation, but it's creative and fun: your partner grabs you in a headlock with one arm, and cups the other over his nuts, effectively preventing you from smacking him there. You take the closer hand (the one that's supposed to pull his hair later on) and throw a chop between his legs from behind towards his groin, as if you were trying to cleave him in half from the bottom up. The reaction to this is usually for him to throw his pelvis forwards to avoid be so ferociously violated. Fortunately for you, he usually moves his hand away from his crotch, eagerly awaiting to be smacked by your other hand towards the regular completion of the technique.

Haha, that is wonderful. I really do enjoy the Krav mindset...

juzam

White Belt
Reaction score
hey guys,
new to the forum here but was just checking it out because i'm thinking of taking KM.

hey quik,
i'm located in san mateo so not so far from the place you are currently going to. i was just wondering how your training is progressing so far? i'm still trying to narrow a good place down, but i'm starting with location. there's a good 5-7 places that i'm considering taking a look at (berkeley, fremont, san mateo, palo alto, SF to name some). so far, the SF one has the most impressive website though.

let me know your thoughts guys...

OP
Q

Qwik

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Juzam, welcome to MT.

My training's been progressing quite well, it's a lot of fun, I learn a lot, and the physical fitness components are very effective (especially the conditioning classes, sheesh). I've learned that what makes a "good" school is highly subjective and means different things to different people, so I'll cover a few things here.

First, for me was efficacy - how effective the techniques were. Would they make me better at defending myself/destroying an opponent, and were they valid techniques in a real down and dirty streetfight and not merely effective in staged fights or "cold" situations. To this, I say yes, the techniques we've learned thus far seem to be very effective; and beyond technique, we learn super basic things that are important to all good fighters...movement control, proper striking technique, etc etc. Almost like boxing, very pleased so far, seems to be very useful knowledge and not just McDojo nonsense. (that said, I'm sure it's not nearly as good an education in KM as I would get in Israel, and I am starting to be able to see the distinction between true Israeli KM and American KM, but, living in the states this is what's available. THAT said, I think some of the instructors at KM-SF go a little bit above and beyond the typical American curriculum, and do teach us a little bit more, closer to what you might see in true Israeli Krav.)

Second, for me, was speed and ease of learning. How quickly could I attain proficiency in the things I was taught? With this, again, I've been satisfied. I'm pretty surprised at how much I've picked up in just under 2 months of training, it's really quite amazing; I feel that I've made a substantial improvement. I don't even feel like I've put in as much effort as I should, and still I've improved, which speaks to me about the training.

Thirdly, for me, was realism (this relates to #1, efficacy) - how realistic were the training situations in class? Would we be practicing technique on an opponent who was basically told to stand there and not resist, or would we be performing against an actively resisting individual? Would the drills we were put through come anywhere close to accurately representing street scenarios? Here, too, I've been satisfied...once we've practiced a technique with low resistance a few times, we practice it with more significant resistance. One drill we've done for a warmup is - jog out of the gym, run a few blocks on the sidewalks in the tenderloin (read, slum, but not a particularly dangerous one), instructor ran us down a dirty alley past (I kid you not) a hobo getting a "favor" from a hooker, stopped us in front of a rank-*** dumpster, made us practice some technique there, a little striking exercise, then made us lift and carry a partner up the alley. Then run back to the gym, some stretching, and into new technique. Not all drills are like that, but that shows to me that they have an eye on realistic training, so I am quite satisfied.

Fourth, comes attitude around the gym....everyone so far has been very cool, very low ego, very supportive, will cheer you on if youre struggling through a drill or warmup, etc etc etc. Good people all around. There's only one guy I've met there that I can't stand, and for someone like myself who hates everybody, that's really quite impressive.

The only negative things I could say is that it's expensive (but I think it's worth it), and that my schedule doesn't always mesh as well as I'd like with the class schedules, but so it goes, they can't schedule around everybody.

I'd write more, but I've gotta run a few errands before class tonight...hope this helps, and let me know if you decide to stop by the SF gym, they offer a free class to try it out you know <_<

Good luck in your search. :]

Mcura

Green Belt
Reaction score
I recall taking in a quick workshop on Krav Maga two years ago at the MMA Expo. It was short (only 45 minutes) but intense. Lacking the proper class time, we skipped the warm up and went straight into Counters for a Gun To The Back. The technique was real easy, to keep the retainability for the Expo participants, but applying it was intense.

Keep in mind that I'm still a relative beginner, so you can imagine my reaction when I stepped onto the mat and was surrounded by black belts. This class seemed to draw every black belt that was on that floor. All around me, I could see black belt, black belt, black belt, sensei, shihan, soke, etc. And then there's me - no belt.

And wouldn't you know it, the guy I partnered up with was this *huge* bulldog of a man, no neck, buzzcut-square head, and just plain thick. You ever seen Strong Mad from homestarrunner.com? That was him in a black gi.

So we take turns holding the rubber pistol, and applying the technique. I tell you what, this guy was just laying it on thick. I know he possessed control, as the knees and elbows he was applying "to distract me" landed with little hurt. But the fury of this fella ... well, let me just say that when it came his turn to hold the pistol, I thought "When in my life am I ever going to have the opportunity to knee a black belt in the face?" So ... I returned the favor.

Actually, now that I think about it, it was kind of funny that he'd throw in a sweep and a finishing blow and stop, "Was there supposed to be a throw in there?" I said, "Hey, it works. We can ask, but why question success?" And yes, this fella was such a nice guy. But man, to this day I can still recall the technique as crisply as I did that day. And it's kind of exciting to know that I could hang in there with a black belt, even if only for a short time.

Jonathan

Blue Belt
Reaction score

Very similar to my experience during a KM demo class... Fighter's Garage in Falls Church, VA. Warm-up was intense, and I thought myself to be in decent shape (until then, anyhow!). Went through some basic strikes, and a couple combos.

juzam

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

So far, I've narrowed my search to 5 places: Self Defense Institute in Fremont, KM-SF, Int'l Self Defense Institute in San Mateo (closest to my house), Academy Self Defense in Santa Clara and KM_Berkeley.

I'm probably going to check out each studio first, then pricing and then the free trial class.

If I lived in SF, I'd definitely go the place your at but I'm a little out of the way.

What do you think?

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

So far, I've narrowed my search to 5 places: Self Defense Institute in Fremont, KM-SF, Int'l Self Defense Institute in San Mateo (closest to my house), Academy Self Defense in Santa Clara and KM_Berkeley.

I'm probably going to check out each studio first, then pricing and then the free trial class.

If I lived in SF, I'd definitely go the place your at but I'm a little out of the way.

What do you think?

Glad to have you here on Martial Talk!

Don't underestimate the value of proximity in aiding your training. It's much easier to go to that "extra class" during the week if the journeys short.

Good luck in you search!

Latest Discussions