First thing you wanted to learn

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The first thing I wanted to learn was self defence because of my ex who was a bully, I started out learning Aikido and when I realised that the teachers (in my eyes they didn't deserve the name Sensei) were only interested in helping the higher grades and I didn't know any more after 6 months than I knew after 6 days, I left. Then a year later I found TaeKwon-Do. In one lesson I'd learnt how to front snap kick, side kick, back kick, punch, block, and some really great basic self defence moves, along with the beginnings of my first pattern, it impressed me so much I just kept going back. (yea I know Sagi Jirugi isn't a proper pattern but I was impressed ;) )

After one seminar (I got a gold medal) and my first grading I was totally hooked, all because of my instructor teaching me at MY pace and not just at the pace of the slowest learner.

bydand

Senior Master
Reaction score
The first art I tried was Judo, and it was the only thing around the rural area I lived in. I really wanted to be like Cain on "Kung Fu" or any one of the myriad of MA movies I loved. Turns out, movies and TV are a bit unrealistic; kind of dissapointing for a 10 year-old. When I started in Ninjutsu, I just wanted to be able to stop that little half-pint instructor from bouncing me around the Dojo at will. (Still my goal, years later. :) )

Zida'sukara

Black Belt
Reaction score
It was learning to have more self-confidence(still learning), and weapon skills. But I like the mental trainings better now but.......cannot forget the Bo. :)

snapmule

White Belt
Reaction score
Id have to say for me it was joint locks and pressure points. When I was a kid, there was a guy who worked with my dad who showed me a few joint locks. I was always fascinated by the ability to immobilize somebody with little effort.

yumeiko

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
ok main reason i wanted into the martial arts was because of the power rangers, sad i know, but i thought they were super cool. When i got into the class finally i wanted to learn everything, but sparring was really what i look forward to, though slightly scary it is a lot of fun and keeps you on your toes.:rolleyes:

Just4Kicks

Green Belt
Reaction score
Those crazy jumping spinning kicks. <3 I haven't yet got them down.... but I will! They just look awesome, and do pretty good damage too. I love sparring so I really want to be able to do them.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Those crazy jumping spinning kicks. <3 I haven't yet got them down.... but I will! They just look awesome, and do pretty good damage too. I love sparring so I really want to be able to do them.

Yea they do look fantastic! I'd like to be able to do them too but I can't even jump a 180 yet :(

ChingChuan

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Well, I don't really know anymore what I wanted to learn first, even though it's only a year ago that I started training Pencak Silat ;). I think I really wanted to learn a jurus (kata). I don't really know why, but when I started, I knew next to nothing about Pencak Silat only that jurusses (sp?) play a very important role so of course I wanted to learn them.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

How I could stick with the MA with the knees I had. Fancying myself an old street warrior, I hated forms (kata). Turns out, the forms were what got me off metal knee braces, down to heavy polyurethane (do I have that right?), to Ace slip ons, to none at all! Who woulda thunk it? :wink2:

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Yea they do look fantastic! I'd like to be able to do them too but I can't even jump a 180 yet :(

Well, but you can jump! More than I can say. I'm jealous. :high5:

But I can still do my art--low kicks, etc. Good enough....:)

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
You know it was so long ago I have no ideal what I wanted to learn, today all I want to do is completely understand every aspect of my Art, good luck I always say.

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
You know it was so long ago I have no ideal what I wanted to learn, today all I want to do is completely understand every aspect of my Art, good luck I always say.

'The older I get, the less I know', eh? Isn't it amazing how the deeper we go in our art, the deeper we see it goes? I'm with ya' terryl. :)

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Weird! No, not this thread but an odd 'rep' glitch I just caught. I wanted to give a bit of a rep buff to terry and kidswarrior as I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments they expressed.

However, the message I got back on hitting "rep buff" was 'Thanks for adding to FranktheTanks reputation' ... let me be the first to say "huh!"? I think perhaps the page hadn't loaded right and the hot-spots were a bit confused :lol:. So, Frank, you're welcome to the rep but I'm embarassed to say it wasn't intended for you :eek:.

Regardless, at least you chaps now know I approved :D.

Oh, and the first thing I wanted to learn when I first started kung fu in my 'teens {which was a while ago :lol:} was how to do all those flashy Bruce Lee kicks ... thankfully I've since learned that looking a little deeper is sometimes helpful :blush:.

EDIT - The mystery of the misdirecting 'rep' was quickly cleared up :).

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Weird! No, not this thread but an odd 'rep' glitch I just caught. I wanted to give a bit of a rep buff to terry and kidswarrior as I wholeheartedly agree with the sentiments they expressed.

However, the message I got back on hitting "rep buff" was 'Thanks for adding to FranktheTanks reputation' ... let me be the first to say "huh!"? I think perhaps the page hadn't loaded right and the hot=spots were a bit confused :lol:. So, Frank, you're welcome to the rep but I'm embarssed to say it wasn't intended for you :eek:.

I just keep on getting messages that say I have to spread the love around a bit first, I must stop picking on the same people! heehee

kidswarrior

Senior Master
Reaction score
Weird! No, not this thread but an odd 'rep' glitch I just caught. I wanted to give a bit of a rep buff to terry and kidswarrior as I whooleheartedly agree with the sentiments they expressed.

However, the message I got back on hitting "rep buff" was 'Thanks for adding to FranktheTanks reputation' ... let me be the first to say "huh!"?

Thanks! FranktheTank is my WWF name. :lfao:

JBrainard

Senior Master
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

As much as I could in the shortest amount of time. I've learned the value of patience since then, although I still find myself chomping at the bit sometimes :)

Latest Discussions