First thing you wanted to learn

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:
When you started your Martial Arts journey and you were the excited newbie in the class, what was the first thing you wanted to learn. What was it that you just couldn't wait to be shown. A certain kata? A technique? what?

When I started Karate I wanted to learn katas really really bad. I thought they were so cool! :D

How not to break people when you grab them and place them into an interference fit with a wall. :)

Jenna

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Hey Lisa :) I can just see you doing your little katas I am picturing you with your rising sun bandana wrapped around your forehead.. crane stance arms outstretched perched up on a stump down at the beach at dawn.. I bet you were the bees knees! :)

When I started out I think I was a teenager or maybe not even.. My inspiration was Seagal plain and simple.. Hey I wanted to be Nico.. I wanted to prove I could really throw someone like that.. that it was not just a figment of Hollywood choreography.. I wanted to prove even if I was small I could still move someone bigger who was bearing down.. well twelve thirteen years later I think I got some Seagal moves down pretty sweet.. I am STILL trying to acquire the belly and the menacing eyebrow though, ha! :D

green meanie

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
When I was a kid and I imagined being able to study a martial art I wanted to learn how to kick. Now I'm pushing 40, teach Jujutsu, and I hate throwing kicks. Lol. Go figure.
icon10.gif

OP
Lisa

Lisa

Don't get Chewed!
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Jenna said:
Hey Lisa :) I can just see you doing your little katas I am picturing you with your rising sun bandana wrapped around your forehead.. crane stance arms outstretched perched up on a stump down at the beach at dawn.. I bet you were the bees knees! :)

LOL! Jenna, not quite but that does remind me of my instructor a little bit! :D

Jenna said:
When I started out I think I was a teenager or maybe not even.. My inspiration was Seagal plain and simple.. Hey I wanted to be Nico.. I wanted to prove I could really throw someone like that.. that it was not just a figment of Hollywood choreography.. I wanted to prove even if I was small I could still move someone bigger who was bearing down.. well twelve thirteen years later I think I got some Seagal moves down pretty sweet.. I am STILL trying to acquire the belly and the menacing eyebrow though, ha! :D

Too Cool Jenna. I think we have all had the fantasy of kicking someone's ***, however, Steven Segall? lol, I am sure of one thing, you probably are a better actor! :lol:

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
When I started, I had no clue, except that I wanted to get the guy who dragged me in to quit bugging me about it... although I quickly fell in love with tuls (patterns) and those are still my first love.

MRE

Orange Belt
Reaction score
When I was 7, I watched a martial arts demonstration. There were lots of talented people presenting kata, self-defense, and choreographed routines. I was impressed with all of it, but was especially impacted by one of the instructors who, from what I understand now, demonstrated a very short and basic form. His movements were so sluid, his pace so measured, and his strikes so precise. He embodied grace, power, and control. I always wanted to be able to move like that.

donna

Black Belt
Reaction score
After about the first 5 min I realised I wanted to learn how to fall without hurting,or breaking something :uhohh: :)

Jonathan Randall

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lisa said:

A high forearm block.

Christina05

Green Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:

Katas were my thing too. I couldn't get enought of them I was so excited everytime I was gonna learn a new one I was the first one in class that day lol.

Shaolinwind

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lisa said:

I'm with you there, I wanted to learn forms so badly I could taste it. I'm at that point again, now that I am studying Kajukenbo they aren't going to be teaching me any forms at all for a few months. :waah:

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Balance..I was recovering from an industrial accident that broke both legs..I was told that the MA would help me recovery balance and reverse the antrophy,,They were right...

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
Jenna said:

Jena,
With you being an aikidoist......you and I could hang out. Seriously, hapkido and aikido have serious randori fun.

Seriously, yeah I was serious.......I wanted to do the splits like van damme, the jump spinning cresent was what made me as a teen want to be a good kicker. Watching Above the Law at 15, hmmmmm.......I spent more of the movie picking out the hapkido wrist technique (Variations of) than I did watching the story.

Watching Bong Soo Han do the hapkido in Billy Jack was awe inspiring. Dad used to let m sit in on class, for the throwing/punching/kicking....no wrist locks till 14 though.

Latest Discussions