first post

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I`d advice you to practice under a teacher and use a bokken for a few months before getting any other kind of practice sword. Many clubs have deals with smiths that make traditional swords and you can get a good iaito this way. You won`t need a shiken (sharp sword) until you are at least dan level.

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
God himself came to a thief and told him to stop stealing and everything will be ok. The thief knew no other way of life. So the thief continued to steal. The thief wanted to obey but lacked the faith that he would be provided for. three days later the thief met a man who hired him to do a job. The thief took the job and decided that in two weeks he would stop stealing for he would have a pay check. As it turned out The thief never finished his two weeks. Went to jail instead where the preacher man could teach him about God. When the preacher heard the story it bothered him. He had never been approached by God the way the thief described. Then the devil reminded the preacher not to trust a thief. With that settled the preacher went home and prayed for a man who knew God. And The thief repented and realized that He is being provided for.

I Have teachers...not of the flesh. I will go to class as a white belt but not if it means i shouldn't listen to my muse. Better to anger a man then anger a muse if you ask me.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
paulgalactic said:
LOL I'll buy a Boken... I'm convinced...My wooden dowl is pretty balanced and even has a bit of a curve to it...it was straight but i use it alot. And i got to ask did you look at the hand made swords what about one like this http://sharpedgetrading.com/damascus_handmade_katana_in_gift_box_closeout_.html if i save my pennies i bet i could get it.

Hm...no indication about *who* made this sword. Personally, I would be very wary about a buying a sword - if I don't know who made it. I would go through a *reputable* dealer, where the quality control would be much better.

RichK

Green Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk and enjoy. For banging a sword, please use a boken or even shinai if you are thinking of BANGING a sword with someone else.

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I heard you say "your crazy paul" does it make me insane to write about it?

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
dragonfly----------------10years ago I was hiking to a friends in a high desert on the western slope of Colorado. It was about a five mile walk and I had with me a 32 ounce Hawaiian punch which was gone by the end of the first mile. About three quarters of the way there was the first shade. Three small trees. At each Tree was a swarm of Dragonflies Each about 2 inches in length. There was red ones and also blue, They were vibrant. I joined them in the shade and they welcomed me. They would fly in and out of the shade as if to show the shimmer of their scales. I remember How I would extend a finger to almost any individual one and they would land for a few moments before taking flight again. I drank water from a creek about 200 yards from the trees. I’ve never been bitten by one I just found out the other day that they bite. The animal is a inspiration to my creativity And they represent My personal Zodiac Signs. Libra is a water sign and the dragonfly is a sign of nearby water. my other zodiac the dragon Is pretty self explanatory. My weapon is named a dragonfly and The animal has inspired another invention that is not a weapon. I sent in a confidentiality form (with a description of the later) to a company that works with inventors. Testing the company out and find out if they actually will back a broke inventor hahaha. Chances are I will have to come up with the funding to do an official patent search and application If that is the case I’m sure I will find someone with money that would like to make some more. I got a new job no more Taco Bell!!!!! Its for an engineering company in a Machine shop that Machines rubber and steel parts, Perhaps that is for a reason...I chose to write about the Dragonfly because in the timeline of events my realization of the Dragonfly spirit came after the butterfly and Before the cheetah. Thank you for reading my thread.

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I'm not getting a sword any time soon. Instead a boken, a set of sais, and a rapier. then after a few months practice A katana. I'm also starting Kung Fu class next week. And i now have medical benifits so at least if i cut myself i can get stitches.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
paulgalactic said:
I'm not getting a sword any time soon. Instead a boken, a set of sais, and a rapier. then after a few months practice A katana. I'm also starting Kung Fu class next week. And i now have medical benifits so at least if i cut myself i can get stitches.

A Katana after a few months of home study will likely cost you more dearly than a few stitches. I can only hope we won`t see posts typed one-handed by you in the near future.:waah:

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
If one trained one time a week with a boken It would take 7 months to learn what one would learn training every day. If the guy who trained every day had 15 percent more natural ability, trains harder, Sees Energy, Prays for knoledge of the art and believes himself to be destined. How much more do you think he would learn in one month then the guy who trained once a week going Formal martial art class? Now Add the Formal Class To the more Dedicated Man...Thats the person I See in the Mirror every day. Thank You For reading My Thread.

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
paulgalactic said:
If one trained one time a week with a boken It would take 7 months to learn what one would learn training every day. If the guy who trained every day had 15 percent more natural ability, trains harder, Sees Energy, Prays for knoledge of the art and believes himself to be destined. How much more do you think he would learn in one month then the guy who trained once a week going Formal martial art class? Now Add the Formal Class To the more Dedicated Man...Thats the person I See in the Mirror every day. Thank You For reading My Thread.

Erm...come again? I don't think I'm following your logic. :confused:

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
now thats Funny because I don't understand what you don't understand. Maybe a little more information would help? Could you be a little more specific as to what you don't understand?

I can elaborate: Tiger Woods didn't get so good at golf by practicing as much as the rest of the pros. How about Barry bonds...He had been playing in the majors for quite some time Then bam his Bat came alive...Bonds used to hit 10-20 a year. I bet he practiced a bit more then everyone else on his own. Michael Jordan practiced before and after Team Practice. He practiced After Games. He wound his ankles every morning And focused on Basketball Basketball Basketball When he achieved he focused basketball. He took a vacation and tried new things and still practiced basketball. There are many NBA players That could be like Mike if They would just do as Mike did.

A few months will not make me an expert with a sword when I pick one up Duh. I've used Nunchakus every day for the last 5 Months with very few exceptions Maybe Two days, Still not Mike. I think it would be Logical to say That I am much better Then just about anyone if they put in less then half the hours that I have Regardless of training Method. Not to mention the Spiritual Experiences That I have Every Day - of course it wouldn't be Logical to Add that into the equation If your Dr spock.

The Reality of it is that I'm not seeking guidance or approval (Others inputs, views and suggestions are Appreciated even when not right for me/some are right for me) I'm seeking Knowledge, Help (with my patent), Entertainment (I'm entertained). I have a goal To write A journal That I Hope to one day transform to a publishable work. I have a goal to make Martial Arts my bread-winner. And More importantly I have a goal to Continue to Grow as an Individual spiritually. I also have A goal to Teach others What I learn and Help others to learn on their own. And I believe That to me Part of my Destiny.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul, are you currently training at a particular school with an instructor or are you working at teaching yourself...?

Swordlady

Senior Master
Reaction score
paulgalactic said:
I can elaborate: Tiger Woods didn't get so good at golf by practicing as much as the rest of the pros. How about Barry bonds...He had been playing in the majors for quite some time Then bam his Bat came alive...Bonds used to hit 10-20 a year. I bet he practiced a bit more then everyone else on his own. Michael Jordan practiced before and after Team Practice. He practiced After Games. He wound his ankles every morning And focused on Basketball Basketball Basketball When he achieved he focused basketball. He took a vacation and tried new things and still practiced basketball. There are many NBA players That could be like Mike if They would just do as Mike did.

Notice a common theme about all these athletes you mentioned? They all had coaches. They were all trained in their respective sports. Tiger Woods didn't just pick up a golf club one day and decide to win a championship. Barry Bonds had to go through the minor leagues like everyone else. He also received coaching from those more experienced than he. Most all coaches and hitting instructors (if not all of them) were former major league ballplayers themselves. Michael Jordan also had a coach. He may have had talent for basketball, but he still needed someone to teach him how to play correctly - and at a professional level.

paulgalactic said:
A few months will not make me an expert with a sword when I pick one up Duh.

No...but it *may* land you in the hospital if you're not careful. Don't you know how ridiculously easy it is to cut yourself with a sword? I've completely lost track of the number of horror stories I've heard of inexperienced folks playing around with swords, and end up cutting themselves. Have you read about Don Rice on SFI? He "self-trained" in a JSA for over 20 years. He had *one* lapse in concentration - and almost lost his arm and his life. Give his story a read: http://forums.swordforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=53083

paulgalactic said:
I've used Nunchakus every day for the last 5 Months with very few exceptions Maybe Two days, Still not Mike. I think it would be Logical to say That I am much better Then just about anyone if they put in less then half the hours that I have Regardless of training Method. Not to mention the Spiritual Experiences That I have Every Day - of course it wouldn't be Logical to Add that into the equation If your Dr spock.

How would you know how *good* you are with any kind of weapon, without any kind of reference point to measure your skill? You are just PLAYING with your weapons, NOT training. Training involves LEARNING from a qualified teacher.

Here's an analogy for you: I wake up one morning and decide that I want to become a brain surgeon. It can't be too hard, since I'm already comfortable with knives, right? What if I walked up to a hospital and asked them to hire me as a surgeon, since I have experience with knives? I would probably get laughed out of the hospital.

paulgalactic said:
The Reality of it is that I'm not seeking guidance or approval (Others inputs, views and suggestions are Appreciated even when not right for me/some are right for me) I'm seeking Knowledge, Help (with my patent), Entertainment (I'm entertained).

Then *why* are you here? This is a martial arts forum. Most everyone here is currently involved in the martial arts, or aspiring to become a student in the near future. This is a forum where people come together to help each LEARN more about their own art and other arts they may not be familiar with. If you don't have an attitude to LEARN, then what will you possibly gain from this forum?

paulgalactic said:
I have a goal To write A journal That I Hope to one day transform to a publishable work. I have a goal to make Martial Arts my bread-winner. And More importantly I have a goal to Continue to Grow as an Individual spiritually. I also have A goal to Teach others What I learn and Help others to learn on their own. And I believe That to me Part of my Destiny.

Sir...you cannot teach others what you do not know yourself. No one who is serious about studying a martial art will seek the aid of an individual who doesn't have a single shred of formal training under his/her belt.

Please consider what you really want to do with your life and any kind of training you wish to pursue. I wish you the best in your search.

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
paulgalactic said:
I've used Nunchakus every day for the last 5 Months with very few exceptions Maybe Two days, Still not Mike. I think it would be Logical to say That I am much better Then just about anyone if they put in less then half the hours that I have Regardless of training Method.
No, it would be logical to say that you know how to "bang your nunchakus about." If you had put in a few hours of formal training every week and then practiced every day you might have built some skill over this period.

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Yes I am starting this week training...As a white belt As Id mentioned before...Spirits Are Qualified Teachers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgalactic
The Reality of it is that I'm not seeking guidance or approval (Others inputs, views and suggestions are Appreciated even when not right for me/some are right for me) I'm seeking Knowledge, Help (with my patent), Entertainment (I'm entertained).

(Others inputs, views and suggestions are Appreciated even when not right for me/some are right for me) <--------------------Why I'm Here To learn

I'm seeking Knowledge, Help (with my patent), Entertainment (I'm entertained). <-------------also Why I'm Here

Does what I say not make sence the Two of you at All??? I'm not self taught. I'm not ignorant? I'm alot like you, I don't Believe everything I here. I know what I Know. And today I'm going to continue to share some of it. If you want to read it great if not thats fine to. If I cut My arm off You will not suffer the consequence. Why not want me to succeed Why not want me to have a great invention and insite. Want me to do things please don't want me not to do things. Share you opinion on what you think the right way to reach my goals may be. I APPRECIATE IT. I'm probably not going to do it exactly the way you think i should. And that shouldn't make a difference to anyone no matter how well they know me. I fight with my Mother about it all the time she thinks i should do alot of things. and my co-workers in the rubber shop that have been there longer did a little bit then after working with me they started watching to see how i got the work done faster then them. now their excuses come Pauls 6'3" he has an advantage. I have skill what ever i touch becomes an extention of me. And Did Learn alot From the people I work with And I Have earned A reputation there. I haven't yet earned my reputation In Martial Arts YET, I'm confident that I will. not only because I already have earned reputation to those that have witnessed.

Spirits are Qualified teachers.

pstarr

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Paul,
If you're not particularly interested in heeding the advice we give you, why do you ask for it? All of us have given you the same advice - seek out a qualified teacher (a human) who will teach you.

You're right in that if you injure yourself none of us will suffer the consequences. But you would do well to listen to those who have tread further along the path.

If you refuse to do that, there's nothing more we can do for you except wish you luck in finding whatever it is that you think you're looking for.

Edmund BlackAdder

<B>Rabid Wolverine</B>
Reaction score
I stand between the Dorkness and the Not Bright
paulgalactic said:
Yes I am starting this week training...As a white belt As Id mentioned before...Spirits Are Qualified Teachers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgalactic

(Others inputs, views and suggestions are Appreciated even when not right for me/some are right for me) <--------------------Why I'm Here To learn

I'm seeking Knowledge, Help (with my patent), Entertainment (I'm entertained). <-------------also Why I'm Here

Does what I say not make sence the Two of you at All??? I'm not self taught. I'm not ignorant? I'm alot like you, I don't Believe everything I here. I know what I Know. And today I'm going to continue to share some of it. If you want to read it great if not thats fine to. If I cut My arm off You will not suffer the consequence. Why not want me to succeed Why not want me to have a great invention and insite. Want me to do things please don't want me not to do things. Share you opinion on what you think the right way to reach my goals may be. I APPRECIATE IT. I'm probably not going to do it exactly the way you think i should. And that shouldn't make a difference to anyone no matter how well they know me. I fight with my Mother about it all the time she thinks i should do alot of things. and my co-workers in the rubber shop that have been there longer did a little bit then after working with me they started watching to see how i got the work done faster then them. now their excuses come Pauls 6'3" he has an advantage. I have skill what ever i touch becomes an extention of me. And Did Learn alot From the people I work with And I Have earned A reputation there. I haven't yet earned my reputation In Martial Arts YET, I'm confident that I will. not only because I already have earned reputation to those that have witnessed.

Spirits are Qualified teachers.
Fascinating.

OP
P

paulgalactic

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Ok I've taken advice and left advice so we have no missunderstanig.

spirit of the cheetah. I was useing my 2nd butterfly knife. and like most of the time I felt as if i was exactly where i should be. I had been feeling the knife point make contact while i fallowed the natural flow of the knife for awhile now and had realized the it was alot like accupuncture. ( minus the actual puncture) I noticed that when i'd drop the knife it would land in one of a few possitions. (two 90 degree angles. one 90 and two 45<-- also would stick in the floor alot and a couple other common) when i'd pick it up sometimes it'd be in a continued motion other times i'd use my mind and miss the flow. The best thing happened...the knife flew from my right hand stabbing my left foot...it was ment to.

I learned several things from the cheetah spirit... A knife was given to me. one inch lock blade with cheetah handle. it has a flow of its own and i learned about how small light weight things enhanced speed,power, and control. cats paw at the carpet and furniture. I did that to my carpet and later learned to susspend cottonballs between my hands, shoot from hand to hand. float from hand to foot and shoot from hand to foot. its static electricity of course but i learned how to harness it. got shocked by a burning candle- I don't know that i'd call that grey area.

The dog is mans Best Friend for a reason...

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
paulgalactic said:
Ok I've taken advice and left advice so we have no missunderstanig.

spirit of the cheetah. I was useing my 2nd butterfly knife. and like most of the time I felt as if i was exactly where i should be. I had been feeling the knife point make contact while i fallowed the natural flow of the knife for awhile now and had realized the it was alot like accupuncture. ( minus the actual puncture) I noticed that when i'd drop the knife it would land in one of a few possitions. (two 90 degree angles. one 90 and two 45<-- also would stick in the floor alot and a couple other common) when i'd pick it up sometimes it'd be in a continued motion other times i'd use my mind and miss the flow. The best thing happened...the knife flew from my right hand stabbing my left foot...it was ment to.

I learned several things from the cheetah spirit... A knife was given to me. one inch lock blade with cheetah handle. it has a flow of its own and i learned about how small light weight things enhanced speed,power, and control. cats paw at the carpet and furniture. I did that to my carpet and later learned to susspend cottonballs between my hands, shoot from hand to hand. float from hand to foot and shoot from hand to foot. its static electricity of course but i learned how to harness it. got shocked by a burning candle- I don't know that i'd call that grey area.

The dog is mans Best Friend for a reason...

Edmund BlackAdder said:
Fascinating.

paulgalactic

I know this has been said to you before, but I implore you to seek out a qualified teacher, especially if you are playing with Butterfly knives and various other bladed weapons. I do not condone self-training for much and I definitely DO NOT condone it when it comes to real weapons. They can and will injure you.

I will say no more on the subject.

Latest Discussions