What is Garuda Tibetan Tai Chi?

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Came across this interesting form of Tai Chi (in Albuquerque NM) while while surfing the ol' net. What drew my attention was the history of this form as stated on its website Tibetan Tai Chi Chuan Martial Arts Training Albuquerque, NM Liu Siong

Over six centuries ago, there lived a Tibetan monk by the name of Bodhidarma-Daruma. After meditating in the Tibetan mountains for forty days, he awoke and studied the natural movements of the animals. He studied such creatures as the praying mantis, the crane, and the tiger. Impressed by their suppleness and grace, he imitated those movements for quite a time. Though quite elderly, Bodhidarma-Daruma obtained great benefit: he became calmer, healthier, more energetic, and felt much younger than his chronological age.
One day, he traveled east to the forests of western China, where he lived in a cave. There, he met a man named Shao-Lin whom he taught for many years. Shao-Lin, too, noticed the benefits of these movements. When Shao-Lin returned to his city (which is now named after him), he founded a temple where he started teaching a small group of monks.
In the orient, Tibetan Tai-Chi is taught only to very few students, who are carefully screened and evaluated by the master. At present, the original Tibetan Tai-Chi is a lost art except for the very few masters that have learned it from their own fathers trained in the Soringi Temple (the rebuilt Shao-Lin temple) that existed in pre-communist China.

Is this Tibetan Tai Chi something totally different from what most of us know? Also, I can't find any videos showing their movements. I'm very curious how it would look, has anyone heard of them? Or anyone knows this system?

oaktree

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Never heard of Tibetan Taiji sounds like B.S. the history makes no sense and best to avoid it and train in a legit Taijiquan style.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The history is COMPLETE bollocks. Aside from the the stories od Bodhidarma going to Shaolin, the rest of what you posted from their website is beyond wrong.

OP
Z

zzj

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The history is COMPLETE bollocks. Aside from the the stories od Bodhidarma going to Shaolin, the rest of what you posted from their website is beyond wrong.

Exactly, when I read the 'history' I was completely utterly speechless. While this may not necessarily mean that the martial art itself is not good (it may be excellent for combat or health), but it casts doubt on the inter gritty and lineage. Also, what exactly qualifies to be tai chi? This style claims no relationship at all in terms of its origin and lineage, not even a zhang Sanfeng.

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Exactly, when I read the 'history' I was completely utterly speechless. While this may not necessarily mean that the martial art itself is not good (it may be excellent for combat or health), but it casts doubt on the inter gritty and lineage. Also, what exactly qualifies to be tai chi? This style claims no relationship at all in terms of its origin and lineage, not even a zhang Sanfeng.

Bravo! Good to see you nearly spit your coffee out too!!

What does qualify as taiji... eh I don't think there's a singular answer for that although you'll hear plenty of them.

hunyuan24

White Belt
Reaction score
I am speechless as well, but the video clip looks ok.

Maybe someone just made up the story for business reasons, but they may actually know their stuff...

Tibetan Tai Chi! Never heard of this.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Their history is fiction....even the Bodhidarma bits.

There is no reputable/reliable historical record/proof that Bodhidarma even existed little alone go to Shaolin

And the whole Mountaintop Shaolin temple part outside of Peking (Beijing) is just wrong

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I am speechless as well, but the video clip looks ok.

Maybe someone just made up the story for business reasons, but they may actually know their stuff...

Tibetan Tai Chi! Never heard of this.

I don't see any vids... :(

clfsean

Senior Master
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I might be wrong - I clicked on a video link in the post above. It might not be Tibetan Tai Chi.
http://www.martialtalk.com/forum/60...eral/41930-ggm-reeders-s-tibetan-tai-chi.html

Lama Pai White Crane Needle In Cotton Set

No... this isn't anything taiji like except it's not done "fast". I practice Lama Pai & know the Min Loi Jaam along with a couple of other hei gung & noi gung sets & drills.

Taiji is Taiji. Taiji is Chinese & has "X" principles with "Y" Chinese principles. The Lion's Roar arts (Lama Pai, Haap Ga, Bahk Hok Pai) are from Tibet but were grown with Chinese refinement & development. Taiji isn't included in that.

Ok... watched the mySpace vid... only thing Tibetan I see about it is the marketing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Prince Blue

White Belt
Reaction score
Came across this interesting form of Tai Chi (in Albuquerque NM) while while surfing the ol' net. What drew my attention was the history of this form as stated on its website Tibetan Tai Chi Chuan Martial Arts Training Albuquerque, NM Liu Siong

Is this Tibetan Tai Chi something totally different from what most of us know? Also, I can't find any videos showing their movements. I'm very curious how it would look, has anyone heard of them? Or anyone knows this system?
The responses here are low information conjecture.

I study and train in Reeders (Liu Seong) Family System of Kuntao.

I do not practice Tibetan Tai-Chi but I do know that school's founder Willem Reeders is exactly who he says he is. He lived an extraordinary life and I have two binders full of evidence and proof.

Oily Dragon

Senior Master
Reaction score
Willem Reeders is exactly who he says he is. He lived an extraordinary life and I have two binders full of evidence and proof.
Do either of them contain something to back up his claim to have been "certified by Ngawang Lobsang Thupten Gyatso Jigdral Chokley Namgyal?

Just a curious cat.

O'Malley

Black Belt
Reaction score
The responses here are low information conjecture.

I study and train in Reeders (Liu Seong) Family System of Kuntao.

I do not practice Tibetan Tai-Chi but I do know that school's founder Willem Reeders is exactly who he says he is. He lived an extraordinary life and I have two binders full of evidence and proof.
I initially read it "blinders". That was funny.

Prince Blue

White Belt
Reaction score
Do either of them contain something to back up his claim to have been "certified by Ngawang Lobsang Thupten Gyatso Jigdral Chokley Namgyal?

Just a curious cat.
No. His widow Miss Marilyn who runs that school in NM probably does.

The binders have history, ancient texts, descriptions of concepts & techniques, news paper articles, interviews, government letters from the DOD and letters from the police.