Firearms Magazines

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
If I was to subscribe to and read only one fire arms magazine, what should it be and why?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on what a person's interests are and what they hope to see in a magazine. Some magazines bit generalistic. Some specify in types of guns, or types of hunting, or both.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Switch subscriptions every year or two too as they ALL tend to recycle stories. May not be Exactly the same but very similar.

O:nen ki' wahi' Bye for now

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Depends on what a person's interests are and what they hope to see in a magazine. Some magazines bit generalistic. Some specify in types of guns, or types of hunting, or both.
I would say a general firearms publication that covers a wide spectrum of gun types and shooting. I've looked through a few over the years but not enough to form an opinion on quality of content.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really does depend on which kind of shooting you're interested in I would say.

Then again, I'm a rifleman (can't shoot a pistol for toffee) and yet read "Handgunner" assiduously until the government ban rendered it all academic :(.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
It really does depend on which kind of shooting you're interested in I would say.

Then again, I'm a rifleman (can't shoot a pistol for toffee) and yet read "Handgunner" assiduously until the government ban rendered it all academic :(.
That's just it, I don't want to subscribe to one that focus on just rifles or pistols or shotguns etc. More inline with something that covers all the bases.

SFC JeffJ

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Become an NRA member and get American Rifleman. It's pretty general and a decent magazine.

KenpoTex

Senior Master
Reaction score
Become an NRA member and get American Rifleman. It's pretty general and a decent magazine.
+1

Guns&Ammo and Guns are okay as well.
The only ones I have subscriptions to now are American Handgunner and SWAT. I like American Handgunner because they discuss a variety of hanguns (recreational, defense, competition), they also have several self-defense columns every month (Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, etc.). As you would guess, SWAT is geared toward "tactical" stuff for LE and military but there's a lot of cool stuff and again, some good columns.

Just remember, whatever you get, that the gun-rags are like internet-forums...there are a lot of people who have no idea what they're talking about. You'll see some of the most absurd BS imaginable from the "experts" that write for these mags.

OP
Tames D

Tames D

RECKLESS
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
+1

Guns&Ammo and Guns are okay as well.
The only ones I have subscriptions to now are American Handgunner and SWAT. I like American Handgunner because they discuss a variety of hanguns (recreational, defense, competition), they also have several self-defense columns every month (Massad Ayoob, Clint Smith, etc.). As you would guess, SWAT is geared toward "tactical" stuff for LE and military but there's a lot of cool stuff and again, some good columns.

Just remember, whatever you get, that the gun-rags are like internet-forums...there are a lot of people who have no idea what they're talking about. You'll see some of the most absurd BS imaginable from the "experts" that write for these mags.
Yeah, I'm sure no different than MA mags.

K31

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The only magazine I get delivered now days is American Rifleman.

In the past I really liked Guns&Ammo and Shotgun News used to have some really great articles in it but I haven't seen a copy of it on a news stand around here in years.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
America's First Freedom is what I got with my NRA membership, although most of the info from that magazine can be obtained from the website instead.

Still, there are some product reviews that I find quite useful, and product announcements that come in handy.

Other than that, I sometimes get Handgunner, as well as Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement. I'm not a law enforcement officer, but I do enjoy reading about what tools of the trade are being used.

CityChicken

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I have a subscription to Guns & Ammo. Nice articles that cover much of the spectrum of firearms. However, I question their objectivity. Every gun they review is 'fantastic' and 'a dream to shoot'. I don't see them ever saying, "stay away from this gun, it's crap". I guess they need to keep their advertisers happy? More honesty is found on the web, i think. But other than that, it's a pretty good mag and subs are fairly cheap.

Latest Discussions