Wacky stuff I've heard about firearms

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While we're at it, I've never met or known anyone to do this. I've known people set up targets, cans, etc but never just bimble around shooting 'things'.
I've heard some hunters (I've never hunted) talk about getting bored when the hunt isn't "going well", and finding targets to shoot at.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Btw, you can't use practicing for sparring as an answer - sparring is practice for fighting.
Just as it's possible for someone to practice firearms just to practice hitting inanimate targets, it's also possible to practice sparring for the sake of sparring.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What this country needs is more guns. We should sell them in vending machines.

Think of the time that would save.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Just as it's possible for someone to practice firearms just to practice hitting inanimate targets, it's also possible to practice sparring for the sake of sparring.

But you can't sensibly use "sparring as practice for sparring" while absolutely discounting that someone could "shoot targets as practice for shooting targets".

I spar so I get better at sparring, I have no intention of fighting as it holds no appeal.

I also shoot targets so I get better at shooting targets, I have no intention of killing with a gun as it holds no appeal.

If anyone has a sound reason as to why the latter statement makes me mentally unsound but the former doesn't I'd love to hear it.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Correctly known as baton rounds, they fired from a weapon not 'ejected', there's plastic and rubber ones. We used them in Northern Ireland. They can kill.

Popularly known as "rubber bullets" in the media, which is a more known phrase the 'average' person is more likely to have heard. Had I used the term FBR or PBR probably about 7 people on here would've understood within context.

I should have used the word "propelled", the casing is ejected - my mistake.

They can kill, so can a single drunken punch. Neither of those things are necessarily intended to do so though, so the statement "guns only have one mode, maximum damage" is akin to saying the same about a punch.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Popularly known as "rubber bullets" in the media, which is a more known phrase the 'average' person is more likely to have heard. Had I used the term FBR or PBR probably about 7 people on here would've understood within context.

I should have used the word "propelled", the casing is ejected - my mistake.

They can kill, so can a single drunken punch. Neither of those things are necessarily intended to do so though, so the statement "guns only have one mode, maximum damage" is akin to saying the same about a punch.

You are on a thread where people actually know about weapons, don't insult them by using phrases from the media, they prefer the proper names.

They can be used to kill deliberately not accidently.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
You are on a thread where people actually know about weapons, don't insult them by using phrases from the media, they prefer the proper names.

But, the person who I aimed the comment at probably wouldn't have understood. Then, you would have blamed me for being deliberately confusing. Somewhat like "you can't expect everyone to know that"...

There's just no middle ground is there?

They can be used to kill deliberately not accidently.

So can a spoon.

I was taught to use a spoon before I could walk, I suppose my parents were getting some death-kill-destroy training in early and setting me up to be a mentally maladjusted gun worshipping paper target murderer.

OP
Runs With Fire

Runs With Fire

Black Belt
Reaction score
What this country needs is more guns. We should sell them in vending machines.

Think of the time that would save.
Think of the the scene when it gets jammed. It'd be a heck of alot worse than not getting my barbeque tater chips.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But, the person who I aimed the comment at probably wouldn't have understood. Then, you would have blamed me for being deliberately confusing. Somewhat like "you can't expect everyone to know that"...

There's just no middle ground is there?

So can a spoon.

I was taught to use a spoon before I could walk, I suppose my parents were getting some death-kill-destroy training in early and setting me up to be a mentally maladjusted gun worshipping paper target murderer.

You are saying he's too stupid to know what you were talking about unless you phrased in a simplistic way. You can also stop jumping to conclusions about what you think I would have said. You seem to enjoy pretending o be misunderstood but it's wearing off and we can see the pot stirrer behind it all.

Spoons are not made with the intent of hurting, maiming or killing someone, baton rounds are and if used in a certain way will likely kill someone so your faux naïf comment comes across as pointless and smart aleck-ly. :rolleyes:

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well GUNs have no other purpose than to kill things,

And yet, I've been shooting for some 50 years and never killed anything. And the most severe injuries I've inflicted on any person have been from my hands (or feet).

if your shooting TARkets ,your practising killing things. It's rather the same with your Bow and crossbow to be honest, if you want to show of your hand eye coordination, play snooker or darts, or if you want something pOSHer, play croquet,

Look at it this way, if someone spent their Sunday afternoon practising hitting People shaped tarkets with their car, you might suspect them of being unsuitable to own a car

You mean like all the time I've spent pounding on BOB?

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Admin's Note:

Folks, I'm going to ask you to keep political matters out of here. If you want to discuss the technical aspects of weaponry, tactics, etc., then please feel free to do so. However, trying to throw in the usual tired arguments is not permitted.

The owners of this forum do have a sister forum setup for those who wish to make such discussions.

US Message Board - Political Discussion Forum

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Dirty Dog,]And yet, I've been shooting for some 50 years and never killed anything. And the most severe injuries I've inflicted on any person have been from my hands (or feet).

Yes you have spent 50 years practising to kill something, that's a MIGhtt obsessive

You mean like all the time I've spent pounding on BOB?
We have already dealt with the Bob human shaped target Thing as somE what oDD

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes you have spent 50 years practising to kill something, that's a MIGhtt obsessive

Well, I started martial arts training in 1969, so I guess that's close enough to 50 years for our purposes. I started shooting at about the same time, and I had my own gun by 1970 or 1971 (I honestly don't remember exactly). I've never injured anyone with a gun, or even caused anyone pain with one. I've certainly done both with my martial arts training. I've never killed anyone, but I have broken a mans neck. I suspect he's dead by now, given the life expectancy of most quadriplegics. So it would certainly seem that my martial arts training is a more likely source of injury than my shooting hobby.
If you object to martial arts training, I don't understand why you're here, to be blunt.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I started martial arts training in 1969, so I guess that's close enough to 50 years for our purposes. I started shooting at about the same time, and I had my own gun by 1970 or 1971 (I honestly don't remember exactly). I've never injured anyone with a gun, or even caused anyone pain with one. I've certainly done both with my martial arts training. I've never killed anyone, but I have broken a mans neck. I suspect he's dead by now, given the life expectancy of most quadriplegics. So it would certainly seem that my martial arts training is a more likely source of injury than my shooting hobby.
If you object to martial arts training, I don't understand why you're here, to be blunt.
I didn't say I objected to ma training, I did say I laugh at people who buy a life sized doll to beat up.

If your not going to kill things with your gun, there is no point in having one, so your ether pretending to kill things or practising to kill things and as such you shouldn't be allowed to have one

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I didn't say I objected to ma training

Yes. You did. Gun training is martial arts training.

, I did say I laugh at people who buy a life sized doll to beat up.

I laugh at people who don't understand the value of practicing strikes on an anatomically correct target which much more closely approximates the impact feeling of a real body. So we're even.

If your not going to kill things with your gun, there is no point in having one, so your ether pretending to kill things or practising to kill things and as such you shouldn't be allowed to have one

I hope I never have to kill anything with any of my martial arts training (which includes the guns). That doesn't mean I'm not willing to, if it's necessary. I guess, according to your ridiculous logic, I should have my hands and feet chopped off. Because, after all, I've spent most of a lifetime practicing how to kill with them.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes. You did. Gun training is martial arts training.

I laugh at people who don't understand the value of practicing strikes on an anatomically correct target which much more closely approximates the impact feeling of a real body. So we're even.

I hope I never have to kill anything with any of my martial arts training (which includes the guns). That doesn't mean I'm not willing to, if it's necessary. I guess, according to your ridiculous logic, I should have my hands and feet chopped off. Because, after all, I've spent most of a lifetime practicing how to kill with them.
Being laugh at by a man with a doll, for not having a doll is something I can live with.

You are of course at liberty to consider guns a martial art, but most of the rest of the ma community seem to disagree, including the owners of this site, as they haven't included a messing about with guns section as one of the listed martial arts

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Being laugh at by a man with a doll, for not having a doll is something I can live with.

You are of course at liberty to consider guns a martial art, but most of the rest of the ma community seem to disagree, including the owners of this site, as they haven't included a messing about with guns section as one of the listed martial arts
They also didn't include a "cane and staff" forum - those weapons and guns all fall under this: General Weapons Discussion

Latest Discussions