Finger injury

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I was at jiu jitsu last night and I was rolling and I got swept and I can't be sure but I think I put my hand out to brace it (I know amateurish mistake I know) but it bent my fingers now they're killing and really badly swolen. They're not broken as I can move them fine but it's annoying because it's all the fingers.

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Sounds like muscle and tendon strain. You know the drill: Ice, elevation, and rest. Might have to lay off rolling for a while.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So I was at jiu jitsu last night and I was rolling and I got swept and I can't be sure but I think I put my hand out to brace it (I know amateurish mistake I know) but it bent my fingers now they're killing and really badly swolen. They're not broken as I can move them fine but it's annoying because it's all the fingers.
I did a similar thing, only falling of a mountain bike riding down a set of steps. It took months to heal. I get the impression you at the more mature end of things and healing injuries can be difficult. I found maintaining my body in an anabolic ( growth )state. Ment that my blood chemistry was such that injuries healed a lot quicker, that and your muscles get bigger, so win win

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It happens to all of us, just ice it and use finger tape. Try to avoid using that hand for awhile for things around the house and stuff too.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
it will heal quickest if he moves it to encourage blood flow

Ok, you know than I do so I won't argue it. It's been awhile since that happened to me, I did type alot when they were hurt so that maybe helped out.

JP3

Master Black Belt
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it will heal quickest if he moves it to encourage blood flow
I think the tape was meant for during class, to keep the fingers from moving too freely.

using the fingers, though it can be a bit on the painful side, combined witht he rest, ice and elevation, all a good plan. In the beginning, consider an over the counter anti-inflammatory, like ibuprofen, as that helps int he healing process as well.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think the tape was meant for during class, to keep the fingers from moving too freely.

using the fingers, though it can be a bit on the painful side, combined witht he rest, ice and elevation, all a good plan. In the beginning, consider an over the counter anti-inflammatory, like ibuprofen, as that helps int he healing process as well.
its a difficult one, as the pain people experience is very personal dependent on how sensitive their nervous system is .
but a INJURY, 9 Or ten on the scale with ten being agony should be rested , anything else will benefit from gentle movement. We use run injuries off playing soccer and ot seemed to work

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
All good it feels perfectly fine now and that was also after a takedown class on Saturday so probably just badly bruised them

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All good it feels perfectly fine now and that was also after a takedown class on Saturday so probably just badly bruised them
Glad to hear it's doing better. I'd still suggest taping it for a while. I suggest my students use colored tape (rather than white, or band-aids). If a finger was injured and is feeling okay, I suggest they put colored tape on the finger (just two circles - no actual functional taping) for a couple of weeks more so people don't attack that finger. It's less important if you don't do small-joint manipulation, but still worth giving folks the warning marker for a while.

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah great still getting some pain from this hand but it's generally better but tonight I went and did the same blooming thing on the other hand but doesn't seem as bad this time at least

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Glad to hear it's doing better. I'd still suggest taping it for a while. I suggest my students use colored tape (rather than white, or band-aids). If a finger was injured and is feeling okay, I suggest they put colored tape on the finger (just two circles - no actual functional taping) for a couple of weeks more so people don't attack that finger. It's less important if you don't do small-joint manipulation, but still worth giving folks the warning marker for a while.
Back when I was in my 20s, if we knew someone had an injury, we went right after it. That tape would've been a huge bullseye.

Now that I'm in my 40s and many of my classmates are a few years older than me, we back off.

Getting old sucks :)

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back when I was in my 20s, if we knew someone had an injury, we went right after it. That tape would've been a huge bullseye.

Now that I'm in my 40s and many of my classmates are a few years older than me, we back off.

It beats the alternative, brother.

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score

Not getting old. Getting wiser.
Your mates in class are not opponents, so help them be better so you can be better. Trying to fight them as opponents that needs to be beat means you spend every day fighting. When in that case will you ever get a chance to train?

People misstake fighting for training just as much as others misstake training for fighting.

RTKDCMB

Senior Master
Reaction score
I had a similar injury with my toes. I went for a kick and caught my sparring partner's shin, sprained all five of my toes. After re injuring it once or twice it took a total of nine months to heal properly.

Latest Discussions