Finally put the Smoker together

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Finally had the day off to put my new Smoking brothers 30 together. Got the traditional added a bottom shelf and front folding shelf.

Picked it up at our warehouse.

Started unpacking

Last edited:
OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So as I said above I ordered a front and bottom shelf. I however was not smart enough to read directions for the extra parts so I put it together as the main directions showed

Last edited:
OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
THEN I read the rest of the directions and learned I Needed to take it apart again:bag:

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

So here it is with the bottom and front folding shelf

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
I hope you like it. My older son-in-law really likes smoking a lot of things, and it does tend to taste good. I was surprised how good a smoked turkey can be.

Pesky directions anyway!!@!#

jezr74

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think we have all done that before. Intrigued me to look up more about smokers, not something you see in Aus very often or at all.

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
What's the fuel source? Pellets? I see some kind of dial on the smoker box.
I have an electric smoker that is fantastic.

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes pellets. It has a hopper you fill with pellets a spiral auger that pushes pellets into a fire box. Then fans and auger speed control the temp and smoke.

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
How long do you need to keep the meat in, in this electric smoker of yours, say for red meat is it around 8 hours or so? I have never heard of an electric smoker, how does it work?

Zero

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes pellets. It has a hopper you fill with pellets a spiral auger that pushes pellets into a fire box. Then fans and auger speed control the temp and smoke.
This is awesome ballen, thanks for the thread and pics! I have been thinking about a smoker for a while. I am a hard core bbq guy, I have a gas, charcoal and an old school brick fire pit in the back yard. I was thinking about making a smoker but your set-up looks great. Can you let me know the times, once you have experimented, for fish and red meat/venison?

OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
This is awesome ballen, thanks for the thread and pics! I have been thinking about a smoker for a while. I am a hard core bbq guy, I have a gas, charcoal and an old school brick fire pit in the back yard. I was thinking about making a smoker but your set-up looks great. Can you let me know the times, once you have experimented, for fish and red meat/venison?
Everyone has their own methods and times and internal Temps they like so it's kind of personal preference but here is a good baseline of times per pound then you Mae changes based on likes. For example for pulled pork I go lower Temps like 180ish for a few hours at first to get good smoke flavor then I'll wrap the meat in foil and turn rtimesohehehe heat higher 250ish until my internal meat temp.is around 200 then I remove it wrap in a towel and put in an empty cooler for an hour to cool off some and then I'll pull it
Smoking Times and Temperatures Chart for Beef, Pork & Poultry

Flatfish

Black Belt
Reaction score
How long do you need to keep the meat in, in this electric smoker of yours, say for red meat is it around 8 hours or so? I have never heard of an electric smoker, how does it work?

My electric smoker just has one compartment. At the bottom there is a heating element, controlled by a thermostat. The heating element will keep the temp at what you set it at and also heats up a box in which you put chunks of wood or chips etc. As it heats up it'll get the wood smoldering. In terms of ease nothing beats it. I have put shoulders or a packer brisket in in the evening and let it cook through the night. Depending on weight and type of meat it usually gets done some time mid morning. Then wrap in foil and stick it in a cooler until eating time.
Now there is definitely a difference compared with charcoal/wood fired smokers. You don't get a smoke ring and the taste is a bit different. It works very well though and I have gotten lots of compliments on my food. I call it the "magic box".....whatever you stick in, it comes out as delicious food.

As for cooking times, the answer is all with all BBQ: until it's done" :)

It seems largely to depend on the piece of meat. I have had 8lb pork shoulders be ready in as little as 6h and taking as long as almost 12h if I get a piece that stalls at 180F or so for a long time. I pull pork at 195F internal temp.
I have also cooked a 16 lbs packer brisket in about 9h (which was crazy fast, I was expecting 12h plus). Pulled at 190F internal temp.
Ribs: 4-5 hours or 6 if I do the 3-2-1 method.
Chicken drumsticks and things about 2h.

More info on mine: www.smokin-it.com

I have the smallest model.

Oh and in the interest of maintaining proper interwebz discourse, we have to start arguing about whether to foil your meat during the cook or not.

It is improper to foil your meat :p

Last edited:
OP
B

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Atomic peppers

Jalapeño peppers filled with cream cheese and mozzarella. Wrapped in bacon

Latest Discussions