Victory in Japan Day

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Today, 15th August 2015, is the 70th Anniversary of VJ Day, please spare a few minutes to remember those we lost, those who fought and those who still suffer. Victory over Japan - the end of WW2 - The Royal British Legion.

We will remember them.

Right on!

I actually remember either VE or VJ day. I don't remember which as I was only just under 4 years old. My recollection is of my father listening to the radio in the living room, then being exuberantly happy, and me asking him why. He told me it was because the war was over. That is why I figure it was VJ day.

It was bad times for the military in harm's way, and those on the home front who had to sacrifice to keep the military going. My father volunteered for the military but wasn't allowed as his job was declared "war essential". He was a government meat inspector, working at several meat packing plants.

I can remember once my brother and I were in the rumble seat going somewhere with my parents when we ran out of gas (rationing). We had to take the bus the rest of the way and then back home. He used to save up his gas ration cards so he could drive to visit my parent's family in the Missouri Ozarks. I still have one of his gas ration cards.

I expect all that seems quaint, at best, looking back. But it was a different world then. We do well to remember what was going on and why we did what we did to support the war effort.

Thanks for reminding us Tez3.

Latest Discussions