Figure 8 Arm/Wrist Lock

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
A few years ago back when I was at my old traditional jiujitsu dojo I was shown a technique called a figure 8 wrist lock. I am writing an article on odd and weird submission type moves that could be applied in BJJ, and I realised that I had never seen this specific technique utilised. I'd seen plenty of Figure 4 locks but lookin gup the Figure 8, it was nowhere to be found. Does anyone here have any experience with it or pictures of it?
figure_8_lock_1.jpg
figure_8_lock_2.jpg
figure_8_lock_3.jpg

These are pictures of me applying the techniques to my father (thanks Dad). This technique is supposed to work as a wrist crush and an arm lock simulatenously. In terms of BJJ, it is applied when your opponent is in turtle position. I imagine some of you have more experience with techniques such as this and I was curious as to what you thought about its efficacy, and what its real name is?
Thanks guys.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks a lot like a standard gooseneck wrist lock, to me. Though I would be transitioning the reinforcing arm from my own wrist to controling the hand for cuffing...

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Looks a lot like a standard gooseneck wrist lock, to me. Though I would be transitioning the reinforcing arm from my own wrist to controling the hand for cuffing...
Or something. I'm never happy if I have to use both arms to control one. I don't have cuffs, but there are still other options than both arms on one.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Can you do a video of how you would set that up?

Otherwise you might find similar concepts with the terms kimoura or double wrist lock.

Last edited:
OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Can you do a video of how you would set that up?

Otherwise you might find similar concepts with the terms kimoura or double wrist lock.
I've just travelled back from England to Glasgow so I don't have an uke for the set up, but I will describe it as best I can.
The set up for it came as a defence from a bear hug hold from an attacker behind you. You would then stamp one of the feet and straighten one of the arms (pushing down on their wrist, and up on their elbow) simultaneously to break their grip. At this point you have control of the arm, which you would then twist and walk forwards to force your attacker to kneel down on the ground. After that you would apply a figure 4 type hold but with one hand holding your opponents wrist. Twisting sideways dislocates the shoulder (or breaks the arm? not sure) and pulling towards you crushes their wrist bones. I believe it is called a figure 8 because the hand that holds your opponents wrist makes the hold sort of "loop" into a figure 8

OP
Ivan

Ivan

Black Belt
Reaction score
I think that that was one of the intentions. There were four black belts (or maybe one of them was brown), 3 of which were instructors. The fourth was the main instructor's son who worked as a police officer, so I think that they considered that application.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've just travelled back from England to Glasgow so I don't have an uke for the set up, but I will describe it as best I can.
The set up for it came as a defence from a bear hug hold from an attacker behind you. You would then stamp one of the feet and straighten one of the arms (pushing down on their wrist, and up on their elbow) simultaneously to break their grip. At this point you have control of the arm, which you would then twist and walk forwards to force your attacker to kneel down on the ground. After that you would apply a figure 4 type hold but with one hand holding your opponents wrist. Twisting sideways dislocates the shoulder (or breaks the arm? not sure) and pulling towards you crushes their wrist bones. I believe it is called a figure 8 because the hand that holds your opponents wrist makes the hold sort of "loop" into a figure 8

There is a kimoura defence from a back take that sound similar.

So probably anywhere you could hit that kimoura you could hit that figure 8.

Here we go.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

It would be a hard transition mechanically. There would be a lot of rolling him over in to position.

Otherwise at some point you are going to want that hand that is stopping his head from bouncing off the ground. And he will probably fight you to prevent that.

You might be able to get a back take that would solve that problem.

There are police kimoura variations.

Last edited:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Or something. I'm never happy if I have to use both arms to control one. I don't have cuffs, but there are still other options than both arms on one.
Well, we don't all get to give the happy juice... And I can't get anyone to make me a Haldol fogger...

AIKIKENJITSU

Green Belt
Reaction score
A few years ago back when I was at my old traditional jiujitsu dojo I was shown a technique called a figure 8 wrist lock. I am writing an article on odd and weird submission type moves that could be applied in BJJ, and I realised that I had never seen this specific technique utilised. I'd seen plenty of Figure 4 locks but lookin gup the Figure 8, it was nowhere to be found. Does anyone here have any experience with it or pictures of it?
View attachment 28060View attachment 28061View attachment 28062
These are pictures of me applying the techniques to my father (thanks Dad). This technique is supposed to work as a wrist crush and an arm lock simulatenously. In terms of BJJ, it is applied when your opponent is in turtle position. I imagine some of you have more experience with techniques such as this and I was curious as to what you thought about its efficacy, and what its real name is?
Thanks guys.
Put your right hand down lower.
Sifu
Puyallup, WA

Latest Discussions