Standing wristlocks

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Just because you're unaware of the science of neurotransmitters, that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Correct.

But also just because you say things like neurotransmitters does not mean you understand the concept.

So who taught you this?

What level of understanding do they have?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Correct.

But also just because you say things like neurotransmitters does not mean you understand the concept.

So who taught you this?

What level of understanding do they have?
I did my undergrad work in Psychology. I read actual textbooks and listen to lectures by folks with PhD and PsyD after their names - the people who actually do the research in this stuff. As I said, there's science in this, not conjecture. That evidence-based training you always want - this is part of it.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I did my undergrad work in Psychology. I read actual textbooks and listen to lectures by folks with PhD and PsyD after their names - the people who actually do the research in this stuff. As I said, there's science in this, not conjecture. That evidence-based training you always want - this is part of it.

Fair enough. Most people who honk on about self defence psychology are full of crap.

Do you have the articles on this. It would be interesting to read?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
People don't really fight the cops because they are aware of the consequences.

I don't think your emotional hijacking is as much of a thing as you make it out to be.

Actually, there's little doubt that emotional hijacking is a real phenomenon. How much of a role it plays in bar fights, of course, is quite debatable.
Personally, I'd hesitate to use terms like "most" or "few" simply because actual data on this very specific situation is not available. I'd settle for "it's one possible factor."

It's difficult to extrapolate from the general to the specific, especially given the enormous number of variable at play.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
People don't really fight the cops because they are aware of the consequences.

I don't think your emotional hijacking is as much of a thing as you make it out to be.
There was a time in college I came face to face with a bear. I knew academically what to do. But I screamed like a 7 year old girl stumbled to the ground and ended up running away. In our words, in spite of knowing what I should do, I was completely out of my mind. I was on full auto pilot. I completely understand what it means to be e optionally hijacked. I don't remember anything of what happened between the screaming and the running, and being in my car, seriously... Listening to a cassette tape of Disney songs my wife had from her work at the Disney stores.

What's interesting to me is that I've been in fights, threatened with a knife, was in some hairy situations in Saudi Arabia, and other situations that were very stressful and didn't have that feeling. So, I don't think it's a given that it will happen under extreme stress. But I will say that it happens, and when it happens to you, you will know it.

I've seen it happen to others, too. Road rage is a fairly common one.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
There was a time in college I came face to face with a bear. I knew academically what to do. But I screamed like a 7 year old girl stumbled to the ground and ended up running away. In our words, in spite of knowing what I should do, I was completely out of my mind. I was on full auto pilot. I completely understand what it means to be e optionally hijacked. I don't remember anything of what happened between the screaming and the running, and being in my car, seriously... Listening to a cassette tape of Disney songs my wife had from her work at the Disney stores.

What's interesting to me is that I've been in fights, threatened with a knife, was in some hairy situations in Saudi Arabia, and other situations that were very stressful and didn't have that feeling. So, I don't think it's a given that it will happen under extreme stress. But I will say that it happens, and when it happens to you, you will know it.

The morning after, I hope that makes sense. Typing on an iPad stinks. I apologize for the typos.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fair enough. Most people who honk on about self defence psychology are full of crap.

Do you have the articles on this. It would be interesting to read?
I'll see what I can dig up. I may have some notes on some of the sources I've run into. Mind you, my notes are usually a complete mess, so...

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You dont choose to road rage?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You dont choose to road rage?
There's a "yes" and a "no" to this. The road rage reaction, itself, isn't chosen. However, we can make behavioral and attitudinal choices that make it highly unlikely. There's also a period of time (a few seconds, except in extreme situations) where we can actually recognize the precursors to the neurotransmitter dump (this is part of the "self-awareness" that's one quadrant of what's taught as "emotional intelligence"), and we can cut off the sequence by some fairly simple methods (deep breathing, thinking of something entirely different, going for a walk, doing push-ups). So, no, we don't actually choose to road rage, but we oddly can choose NOT to road rage.

Latest Discussions