Fighting plan

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's a fighting plan? For example, a plan can be as simple as:

A keeps kicking at B's groin. When B drops arm to block it, A then punch on B's face.

Do you have a plan when you fight? Your thought?

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The 4 H club.

Hit First
Hit Fast
Hit Hard
Hit Last

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I gave this some serious thought and came to the conclusion that I really don't have a plan. I just have strategies to use for different scenarios. For example, if I fight someone taller the strategy is to fight using Strategy A. If I fight some one who like to grab then I use Strategy B.

It's s simple as using a car. If I'm going to work then I use Car Type A. If I'm moving to a different home then I use Truck Type B. It's not really a plan as much as it is just identifying what to use for the situation

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you have

- stronger right punch than your left punch?
- stronger side kick than your front kick?
- better single leg than your hip throw?
- better elbow lock than your wrist lock?

Do you try to create opportunity to use your strong point, and avoid your weakness?

For example, if your right punch is stronger than your left punch, you will try to create opportunity for your right punch, and skip opportunity for your left punch.

wait for opportunity < create opportunity

You will need to have a plan to know how to create your opportunity.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you try to create opportunity to use your strong point, and avoid your weakness?
I tend to take what my opponent gives me. I don't have to do much to create opportunity. I just need to be able to recognize it and take advantage of it when I see it.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I tend to take what my opponent gives me. I don't have to do much to create opportunity. I just need to be able to recognize it and take advantage of it when I see it.
What if your opponent uses a strong defense, move in inch by inch, and wait for your attack?

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Strike First. Strike Hard. No Mercy.
e7849bcadf06ca54b6368168f9f026a8.jpg

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What if your opponent uses a strong defense, move in inch by inch, and wait for your attack?
Even with a strong defense, an opponent will still offer an opportunity or open window in which to take advantage of. If an opponent only moves inch by inch then he has given me the opportunity to be more mobile than he is.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Even with a strong defense, an opponent will still offer an opportunity or open window in which to take advantage of. If an opponent only moves inch by inch then he has given me the opportunity to be more mobile than he is.
Do you need a plan to force your opponent to open his guard?

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Do you need a plan to force your opponent to open his guard?
No I do not need a plan to force my opponent to open his guard. Here is my understanding.

1. There is no 100% guard.
2. When my opponent guards one area another will be open.
3. When I attack that opening, my opponent will adjust to either protect it, or my opponent will retaliate.
4. When my opponent adjust to protect an area that I just attacked, it will provide an opening somewhere else.

Because of this there is no need to force my opponent to open. He is already open.

Prostar

Green Belt
Reaction score
Something I used to with my students was to say the following. "The next technique I will throw at you is this right hand. I will plant this punch in the center of your chest. Other than block your strikes, this is the only technique I will throw." Then I proceeded to do just that.

It was a lesson on getting psyched out. It worked.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In boxing, you will throw a jab first. Depending on your opponent's respond, you then decide whether you want to follow by a cross, a hook, or an uppercut.

When you throw your 1st jab, you won't commit 100%. You jab is just a door opening move. That's a plan.

I truly don't believe there is anything on earth that doesn't require a plan. Even when you chase a girl, you will need a plan.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
When you throw your 1st jab, you won't commit 100%. You jab is just a door opening move. That's a plan.
Sounds more like a strategy, because you don't know what you'll do beyond that as it takes the opponents response that will determine the next punch.

If the opponent responds the same way each time you jab, then you can lay out a plan, because you know what will happen next beyond your first punch

I truly don't believe there is anything on earth that doesn't require a plan. Even when you chase a girl, you will need a plan.
I never had a plan when I chased girls. I only had strategies because I didn't know what the response would be.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What's a fighting plan? For example, a plan can be as simple as:
A keeps kicking at B's groin. When B drops arm to block it, A then punch on B's face. Do you have a plan when you fight? Your thought?

Variously attributed to either Yip Man or his notable student, Wong Shun Leung: "Your opponent will show you how to defeat him".

...Having a detailed "plan" just clouds your vision.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I never had a plan when I chased girls. I only had strategies because I didn't know what the response would be.
Strategy is plan.

If you like to

- kick, I want to meet my elbow joint into your kick.
- punch, I want to kick your leg.
- wrestle, I want to punch on your head.

Those are all "plan".

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just Google the definition of strategy.

strat·e·gy
  1. a plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim.
  2. the art of planning and directing overall military operations and movements in a war or battle.
  3. a plan for military operations and movements during a war or battle.
So strategy = plan.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I just Google the definition of strategy.

strat·e·gy
  1. a plan of action or policy designed to achieve a major or overall aim.
  2. the art of planning and directing overall military operations and movements in a war or battle.
  3. a plan for military operations and movements during a war or battle.
So strategy = plan.
Well based on that definition I guess I have a plan. Or I'm using the wrong word lol.