Seven Star Praying Mantis.

N

nlmantis

Yeah trips are attacks on structure usually followed by submission technique. A sweep is usually more of a technique on itself, after which you might have to start from longer distance again.
(My Sifu calls it "building a bridge"; "don't just kick the guy; build a bridge, close the gap and control his centre and twist him up like a pretzel") (or "her")

Naturally a good sweep on the back leg can bring your opponent down in a hard way, whatever the situation dictates. My Sifu's preference is obvious.

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
-Yeah, that 7*Sweep can be done really gently to control the person, or hard and fast to punish them. The hard part about that technique for me is pulling the opponent's arm across the chest, kind of like pulling an arrow with in the bow.

-Does anyone know the name of the technique where you could for example, start out with a la choi, then your lead foot steps around behind your opponent's, and you pull back towards you with a 'hook', pulling him/her forward a foot or so, then, with that same foot, pushing back forward and hitting the opponent's back leg, somewhere around the knee or inner-thingh? Thats one we were working on the other night. It is hard to describe some of them, haha;-)

A---)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I dont know that there is a name for it, but I think I know what your talking about. Its like a sweep plus a back knee kick with the same leg?

7sm

Flying Crane

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
arnisador said:
I have Leung Ting's book "7-Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu" on my shelves. Is this considered a good representation of the style?
I did not know Leung Ting is a mantis person. I thought his training is in Ving Tsun. Anyone know his Mantis lineage, or did he just lend his name as a collaborator with a different author?

mantis

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Ok so this was like a year ago, but I just found it again. I have to agree with Skard1 here, the LKW book is much deeper and to me alot more technical.

Anyone else read either of these books? We have quite a few newbies here, thought this might help get some conversation going.

7sm
do you mind providing the ISBN's for both of the books, or any good 7*PM books?
couldnt find any @ barnes!
thanks...

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mantis said:
do you mind providing the ISBN's for both of the books, or any good 7*PM books?
couldnt find any @ barnes!
thanks...
I dont know that you will find sifu Lee's book anywhere but his own website...I believe its www.leekamwing.com
Being a part of the US Kung Fu Exchange, you probably would really enjoy Sifu Raymond Fogg's Latest book...here

Also, I recomend Adam Hsu's book: The Sword Polishers Record: The Way of Kung Fu to all new CMA people. Of course you can probably find this one at your local Barnes & Nobles.

7sm

brothershaw

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I didnt know Leung Ting practiced/ taught 7 star or was an autority on it. Is he highly regarded ofr his 7 starmantis?

Side note are there are 7star people in NYC on this forum? I know there is a school in brooklyn ny.

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There are many school in NYC, we actually have a few sister schools there too.

7sm

Latest Discussions