Seven Star Praying Mantis.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have Leung Ting's book "7-Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu" on my shelves. Is this considered a good representation of the style?

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by arnisador

I have Leung Ting's book "7-Star Praying Mantis Kung Fu" on my shelves. Is this considered a good representation of the style?

Now you've done it! I haven't read that book yet, and now I'm on the hunt! I'll be goign to the local Barnes and Nobles whne it opens today to search for that book! Thansk ALOT!!:D

7sm

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Let me know if it's a good resource--I figured I could use it to get a better picture of things you were describing! It's an older copy (1990) that I have but there's a 1999 version so I hope you find it. It has a wooden dummy set in it and everything!

S

Skarbromantis

Yes it is a very good book, it has good basic information on 7*PM.

I prefer the book Lee Kam Wing did with out Leung Ting, it goes into PM theory a lot deeper.

Skard1

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Skarbromantis said:
Yes it is a very good book, it has good basic information on 7*PM.

I prefer the book Lee Kam Wing did with out Leung Ting, it goes into PM theory a lot deeper.

Skard1
Ok so this was like a year ago, but I just found it again. I have to agree with Skard1 here, the LKW book is much deeper and to me alot more technical.

Anyone else read either of these books? We have quite a few newbies here, thought this might help get some conversation going.

7sm

W

WLMantisKid

I havent read those books, I'll see if I can't check them out soon, but I will be buying Sigung Pui Chan's chinese philosophy book shortly. Expect a review :)

G

GermanMantis

Hi there,

the LT books is a little bit basic, but therefor is very good. The LKW book has 3 forms in it, "Crushing Step", "Black Tiger Crossing" and "Mantis comes out of the cave" also there is a lot of theoretical background and photos of techniques and stances in PM. The newest one hast all Plumblossom routines in it. I only had a glance on it, when Sigung Lee held his workshop at my Sifus school. Lost of forms and descriptions, photos of old masters and more ....
Greets,
GM

Darksoul

Black Belt
Reaction score
GermanMantis,

-Let me welcome you as well to Martial Talk. This website is quite an adventure some days, but lots of information and very cool people. If you don't mind, share a little bit about your experience with Praying Mantis. I've only been studying the style about 2 months, but absolutely love it. 7*Mantis seems to be the "go-to" guy here on the style, I think he's been at it the longest here, though there are others here who also study. (Not to put you on the spot 7*;-) So if you have questions or just want to chat, fire away.

A---)

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thank you Darksoul, I just really love what I do. I really love mantis and I can sit all day and talk about the principles of kung fu and 7* mantis. Any questions or comments, fire away.

7sm

CMack11

Orange Belt
Reaction score
7starmantis said:
Any questions or comments, fire away.

Since you offered :)

We learned a 2-man iron arm drill in class yesterday. Normally sifu said he doesn't start this until intermediate class, but he went ahead and showed us. It's a basic 2-man arm-banging technique using all of your forearm (bang top, then thumb-side, then pinky side, then switch arms). I wouldn't mind getting ahead on my iron arm training, but I don't have a partner to train with. Do you have any good iron-arm stuff I could do by myself as a beginner?

Progress is going very well. I feel like I'm getting a pretty good handle on most of the basics (movement, drills, etc.).

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Yes, its much easier and better with a partner, but you can do it by yourself. Starting off make sure and go slow, ask your sifu but I wouldn't go more than 5 minutes on each arm, starting off. Also, you may want to get yourself some jow. You can start using a hanging bag, doing the same type of drill you guys did together. Then move to harder surfaces. We actually have a frame that holds a hanging wooden log for use in iron arm, but thats very advanced. You can use a wooden beam and roll it down your arm, but thats usually used for iron shin.

7sm

V

Vanilla Heath-Bar Crunch

We do two-person Iron Arm drills in Taiji Tanglang training. I keep my forearms conditioned simply by banging them together when I cant go to class.

seriously.
People will look at you funny if you do it in public (like me Ill do it anywhere, the bus stop is a favorite) but I dont bruise.

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Does 7 star mantis kung fu have kicks or is it mostly hand/arm work? I was looking at the videos on this website, sorry dont have much money. O yeah, do you learn any joint lock techniques?

N

nlmantis

Mantis uses Monkey footwork. Most kicking is low, it is usually considered inefficient to kick far above the waist, unless if your hands are constricted somehow. The basic kicking techniques in Mantis, not considering leg chin na:

Rear LegFront LegJumping RearJumping FrontSpinningFront Kick2222 Side Kick22222Roundhouse Kick22222Inside Crescent Kick22222Outside Crescent Kick22222Reverse Roundhouse22222Retractionless Roundhouse22222Hook Kick22222Axe Kick2222 Reverse Axe Kick22 Cross Kick2222 Mule Kick22222Front Sweep22222Rear Sweep22222Chop Kick2222 Reverse Chop Kick22 Monkey Kick2 22 Inside Butterfly Wing2222 Outside Butterfly Wing2222

N

nlmantis

OK that came out pretty badly. Decipherable, nonetheless..

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
ninhito said:
Does 7 star mantis kung fu have kicks or is it mostly hand/arm work? I was looking at the videos on this website, sorry dont have much money. O yeah, do you learn any joint lock techniques?

Yes, more hands than feet, but alot of footwork and sweeps/throws. There are lots of kicks, but like they said, mostly low knee/groin or below. Lots of hands techniques and depending on your lineage ALOT of joint lock / Chin Na techniques.

7sm

ninhito

Orange Belt
Reaction score
o yeah okay wait i was wondering if there was a difference, i know i sound like a kid, between a sweep kick where your leg is like parallel to the ground and the trips liek where you push the person opposite where you pull there leg, with your leg, up into the air.

Latest Discussions