Favorite defense

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should clarify my question. By "fight" I don't mean sparring, however heavy the contact, I don't mean any "match" in a ring, octagon, or on a mat. I mean outside in the real world when someone seriously intended to see that some harm came to you.
And the reason for my question wasn't to hear war stories, but to ask Part 2:
How many times have you actually been able to execute (or even think about executing) your "favorite" technique?
On the job or off? Both, dozens.

Off the job, about 9 street fights since the age of 18.

I fought two guys at one time in Texas.....in a small trailer house bedroom (So I guess it wasn't a 'street fight' technically ;))........I got lucky and they got hurt. That's the only time I had more than one person attacking me at the same time.

I walked away from that one because I knew the fight was coming and decided to go ahead and start it on my terms and strike first. One of the guys was getting ready to attack and the other was getting ready to follow his lead, when I acted as though I were going to submit by throwing my hands up and feigning backing away......at which point I slapped the one I perceived as the more 'experienced' of the two in the groin with my left hand and threw a right forearm into his jaw as he bent over in pain, knocking him in to the trailer wall and back on to the bed......I was hoping to knock him unconcious, but I didn't hit him flush and merely broke his jaw.....he managed to recover in time to try and tackle me after I punched the second guy in the nose.

I grabbed him and was choking him, when the other guy started punching me in the back of my head......I remember thinking 'Man....I'm glad he hasn't figured out that punching me in the back of the head is not doing him any good, and start punching me in the face'.......I was able to throw a right elbow in to that guys face and I broke his nose, blood went everywhere and he was worried about his face at that point, giving me time to choke the first guy unconcious.

We tore the entire room up, flipped the bed over, knocked a TV and dresser over.......a 3rd guy actually came in the room with a stick......I managed to bluff him in to dropping the stick while I was choking his buddy unconcious by telling him if he didn't drop it I was going to beat him to death with it.....he believed me and dropped the stick, I dropped the unconcious guy on the floor, saw that the broken nosed guy had no more interest in fighting, and walked out the front door.......with nothing but a few knots on the back of my head for my troubles.

It was D.U.M.B......i'm not gonna lie.......the whole thing was over my ex-wife's purse and $100.00 that these guys stole from our car while she was visiting some friends at this crappy trailer park! I could have been shot or stabbed......but I was young and dumb.......live and learn. ;)

Last edited:

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right cross stop-hit to the maxilla bridge (the mustache area). I call it "The Touch of Sleep". Of course, seldom is it that pretty but if you miss you might catch the nose or the lower jaw (or open a knuckle on his teeth *uhg*).

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
'Favorite Defense'? A good offense....seriously, not to be flippant or throw out a cliche. When violence really comes, aggression will sometimes save you where caution will not. Speed, Surprise and Violence of Action are the watch-words when a fight is unavoidable. Hit first, hit hard, hit often.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
Right cross stop-hit to the maxilla bridge (the mustache area). I call it "The Touch of Sleep". Of course, seldom is it that pretty but if you miss you might catch the nose or the lower jaw (or open a knuckle on his teeth *uhg*).
Not bad......I do something similar......left upper-cut below the chin to LIFT the chin up, THEN fllow with a right-cross to the jaw. ;)

I like to step in close when i think there is going to be an altercation, then if it comes to that I follow his chest with the back of my left fist and guide it right in to the chin......a right cross is even more devastating when their chin is lifted as high as it can get by the left upper-cut.

sgtmac_46

Senior Master
Reaction score
I should clarify my question. By "fight" I don't mean sparring, however heavy the contact, I don't mean any "match" in a ring, octagon, or on a mat. I mean outside in the real world when someone seriously intended to see that some harm came to you.
And the reason for my question wasn't to hear war stories, but to ask Part 2:
How many times have you actually been able to execute (or even think about executing) your "favorite" technique?
I've used one of my favorite moves, which is the left 'nut-slap' followed immediately by a right forearm targeted at the jaw twice. (the nut-slap sets up the forearm by causing the guy to double over forward and drop his hands to his groin....works everytime i've done it ;))

I pulled it off both times, and knocked both guys off their feet.....one, however, was jacked up on methamphetamines and I slipped as the forearm was coming, so I didn't hit him flush and failed to knock him out....it still dazed him. The other guy was out cold unconcious.

paulH

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, reload, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang, bang.... "stop or I'll shoot more!"

just a thought...

but you must either be a realy bad shot... or the "stop or i'll shoot more" is a waste of words?

Ahriman

Green Belt
Reaction score
Create distance, draw my most accessible weapon at that time, evaluate seriousness, depending on the result, attack/threaten/resheath. In some cases the "create distance" part is enough to stop the attack.
Oh, and as I'm a smoker, I mention a specific "technique" - if attacked/threatened from front, flick the cigarette in the attacker's face while getting off the X. Can be quite painful (especially if the burning tobacco gets inside clothing - loose clothing isn't always good :saint:) and buys me enough time to create distance in my experience.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, all above are good suggestions.
My favorite; AVOID.
Know what's going on around you and you can minimize your threats.
Then as Benny, "the jet", Urquidez always said: "if they can't stand they can't fight and they can't chase you."
He advocated knees and arches too as first strike areas as they don't require much force to damage.

OP
JadeDragon3

JadeDragon3

Black Belt
Reaction score
I like attacking the knees or the throat. I say show no mercy. Either cripple them or kill em'. Make sure their are no witnesses though or throw a knife in his hand and claim that self defense was justified. If no knife is available throw your light saber in his hand.

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I like attacking the knees or the throat. I say show no mercy. Either cripple them or kill em'. Make sure their are no witnesses though or throw a knife in his hand and claim that self defense was justified. If no knife is available throw your light saber in his hand.
I understand your point but do you know how expensive light sabres are these days?:)

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
Master Yoda has a life time supply of them.

He only has a lifetime supply because HE never LOSES his (*cough.. Skywalker family*) so ONE is enough ... for HIM.

In any case, it's not like you can just run down to the "lightsaber store" and pick up a dozen.

Jedi hand-craft their lightsabers!

http://www.geocities.com/erik_the_jedi/saber.html

For shame. You both should know this. :sigh:

kwaichang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
vertsaber.gif

Hey, this is really a great site.:shock:

Latest Discussions