Fat

shihansmurf

Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, fat is not automatically unattractive. Some of the most attractive women that I know and have known would be considered fat by most people, and at least two were definitely fat. At the same time, being thin does not automatically make one good looking either.

Lastly, as we age, it is more difficult to burn calories. For some women, menopause causes changes that make it impossible for them to be 'thin' afterward, even with a good diet and a lot of hard work. For people in general, as we age, our bodies not only burn calories less efficiently, but for us MA-ists, accumulated injuries can also make certain exercises less feasible. Not to mention arthritis and other maladies that make working out more challenging.

Really, it is important to be as healthy as you can be for the size that you are and then establish more specific goals from there.

Daniel

1. True. Scarlette Johansen springs to mind. The starved look may work for some but I'm not a fan. I like healthy.

2. Age and injuries do indeed factor into ones levels of fitness, but given the vast range of training option out there for low impact cardio I tend to think that if a person sets physical fitness as a priority then they will be able to attain it. Now a guy in his fourties most likely isn't going to be able to achieve the same type of results a a man in his twenties, that would require herculean effort and a peculiar combination of genetics so unlikely that its as close to impsooible as you can get, but they can still achieve very good results if they wish to. Guys like Randy Courture are the exception.

3. On your last point, I wholeheartedly agree. Well said.

Mark

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
But would they not have been even BETTER looking if they had a leaner, more toned build?
No. They are perfect as is. I am sure that they would be just as good looking if they were leaner and more toned, but it would have been a different kind of attractive; not better.

Daniel

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For one, not not all of us are saying the same thing on this subject.:)

And since this thread was specifically about fat, it is unlikely that the subject of smoking and alcohol would come up, though as a segue, beer, ale, malt liquor, and some other alcoholic beverages contain a lot of empty calories and will certainly contribute to a weight problem.

So, if you (the general you, not you Terry) knock a few back after class or on frequent basis, even you are not getting wasted, it is impacting your caloric intake in a big way.

Conversely, a lot of people gain weight when they quit smoking; apparently, smokers do not snack as much? Models also smoke to stay thin, as nocotine boosts the heartrate. Of course, smoking is full of its own inherent health risks.

Whether or not you are involved in martial arts, smoking is just plain silly and taking it up in the first place is just plain stupid, especially if you have taken it up within the past forty four years after they started putting surgeon general warnings on the darned packages back in 1965.

Smoking elevates the heartrate and constricts blood vessels, thus making the heart work harder. They also have an adverse effect on one's breathing. Given that circulatory and respiratory systems are both taxed in the practice of a martial art, and indeed, any athletic event, the foolishness of smoking is self evident.

But then, so what?

The fact that smoking at all and drinking too much are unhealthy does not alter the effect that excess fat has on the human body, irrespective of how well one can still practice their art.

What about them? They are idiots who sacrifice their longterm health for quick benefits and competition victories, possibly risking legal consequences and sanctions from whatever organizing body they compete in.

The fact that performance enhancing drugs are illegal and unhealthy does not alter the effect that excess fat has on the human body, irrespective of how well one can still practice their art.

Not everyone's attitude is disgusting. To be honest, I do not know that any of the opinions expressed in this thread could be classified as disgusting, though I am not going to go through each response again to verify.

Pretty much everyone, regardless of weight, seems to agree that excess fat is usually the result of greater caloric intake than exercise and that there are some people who have a weight gain for other reasons, such as genetics, medical complications, or medication for other maladies that have the side effect of adding weight.

I also would like to point out that a good number (not a majority, but a good number) of people who overeat do so due to depression and use food to self medicate, so to speak (eating makes them feel better) and generally choose comfort foods, such as macaronni & cheese, chips, fries, etc., all of which tend to be fattening.

Someone earlier pointed out economic reasons. Healthy food costs money and if you are unable to afford it, you eat what you can and deal with the consequences.

I hear you. Though I do not have quite so many years in, I have enough to remember when that kind of training was commonplace. With the amount of training that I do, combined with my age, I do feel it and can relate.

Well, I think that what you pointed out is certainly legitimate and indeed, is food for at least two or three threads.:)

That is every day for smoking, as I am not nor have ever been a smoker, and most every day for drinking, as I drink very little.

As I stated earlier, the only time that I see excess weight as being an issue for a martial arts instructor to be specifically physically fit (as opposed to fit for fighting) is if the school literature touts physical fitness, specifically weight loss. And personally, I think that use of weight loss and fitness as a means of bringing in students has a negative impact on the martial arts because it brings in people who really have no intention of being competent aikidoka/hapkidoin/karateka/kendoka/taekwondoin/whatever; they just want to get into shape and do not want to go to the gym. By and large, these are the wrong type of customers unless your school is Taebo.

The above is just my opinion, though I try to be as objective as possible.

Daniel

I would rep you but I need to spead some love around, great thread and comments.

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
All I got to say is...

Attachments

• $SIZE MATTERS.JPG
    $SIZE MATTERS.JPG
    49 KB · Views: 163

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not that this contributes anything productive to the discussion, but I have to.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
All I got to say is...

Wow. I believe I would simply bow off the mat faced with a monster like that with grappling rules only.

I've seen some other funny pictures where a guy is pinned by another biggie, but his face is covered by his opponent's armpit. Yucky.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wow. I believe I would simply bow off the mat faced with a monster like that with grappling rules only.

I've seen some other funny pictures where a guy is pinned by another biggie, but his face is covered by his opponent's armpit. Yucky.
I would be willing to contest with a guy that big, but I would pay him off in advance to keep my face out of his pits, with the promise of an equal amount afterward if he follows through.

Daniel

OP
J

JourneymanDave

White Belt
Reaction score
win or lose, I'd try em. We only learn by constantly challenging ourselves

Latest Discussions