Fasting and the Martial Arts Mindset

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mushy peas are baby food. I do like peas though, especially with ham (which is like bacon...). But fish IS seafood...

I dislike peas in any form and obviously don't eat any form of pork, someone did say to me once that she understood I didn't eat pork but surely I ate bacon was fine. :rolleyes: Many people do not know what they are eating!
'Seafood' in the UK is the stuff from the sea that isn't fish ie. crabs, lobster, prawns, cockles, scallops, mussels, winkles, squid, octopus etc.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'd refer to anything edible from saltwater as "seafood", sometimes using "fish" to cover most eventualities too (shellfish, as well as finny things).

Freshwater fish is "fish", but then there are freshwater shellfish too.

Oh, and then there are the brackish species...

I find it easiest to just call everything "food", unless I actually want to be specific, for example "bacon" ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd refer to anything edible from saltwater as "seafood", sometimes using "fish" to cover most eventualities too (shellfish, as well as finny things).

I find it easiest to just call everything "food", unless I actually want to be specific, for example "bacon" ;)

That's just you then.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
upload_2018-4-16_21-10-58.jpeg

AngryHobbit

Senior Master
Reaction score

I think that's fair. Certain foods are so infinitely superior to others they deserve to be singled out. Bacon. Chocolate. Cheese. You know...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think that's fair. Certain foods are so infinitely superior to others they deserve to be singled out. Bacon. Chocolate. Cheese. You know...

Ah so you eat bacon, interesting.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Not that it's on a tangent at all, but I found out today that Sainsbury's (supermarket) is introducing a range of "no touch" meat...

The Independent said:
Sainsbury’s is set to launch touch-free packaging for its chicken pieces, following research that revealed that many under the age of 35 fear that they may suffer from food poisoning as a result of touching raw meat.

Erm...

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not that it's on a tangent at all, but I found out today that Sainsbury's (supermarket) is introducing a range of "no touch" meat...

Erm...

When I was at school in Aberdeen ( I wished we'd stayed in England at that point), the city got quarantined because of an outbreak of typhoid from Argentinian corned beef ( they were out to get us even then). We had 10 weeks school summer holidays that year, we all also got obsessed with hand washing because that was preached at us all the time.
They just need to wash their hands and cook the chicken properly...no you cannot have 'medium rare' chicken ..................

gucia6

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Middlesbrough parmo recipe

I don't know if you'll see it but there's an ad for Aussie wine underneath it lol. Aussie wine is very enjoyable!
Hehe nice, I live in Australia but don't drink wine haha, but am however very much into the specialty coffee scene ;)
The tunnel part where sharks and sting rays swam overhead as well as in the big tanks, the girls sleeping bags ready for bed ( not sleep that didn't happen for a while lol)

30714956_10156059752101539_3172676690694373376_n.jpg
That is SO cool! Never heard of anything like this!

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hehe nice, I live in Australia but don't drink wine haha, but am however very much into the specialty coffee scene ;)That is SO cool! Never heard of anything like this!

I love coffee! I like my tea but a good coffee is a blessing :)

In Guiding (my other love apart from martial arts) we try to give the girls as many different and exciting experiences as we can. We've had sleepovers in some odd places but we ask the girls what they want to do and they choose.

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
I love coffee! I like my tea but a good coffee is a blessing :)

In Guiding (my other love apart from martial arts) we try to give the girls as many different and exciting experiences as we can. We've had sleepovers in some odd places but we ask the girls what they want to do and they choose.
Ah nice that's a great idea, and would be such fun for them :). Such a great learning experience and good opportunity to work together and have fun doing so.

Yeah coffee has taken off here in Oz.. Melbourne is booming and there are specialty coffee roasters/cafes everywhere now. Yeah I roast my own green beans at home, and got a bunch of brewing apparatus' hehe. There's some incredible stuff around in terms of the quality of beans... and it's great seeing the farmers being paid more for a much higher quality product, and so many coffee projects and initiatives going which helps developing countries who work darn hard to grow and process the coffee they do!

All off topic but seems like we've just run with it (I blame bacon... But that ain't a bad thing ;) )

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah nice that's a great idea, and would be such fun for them :). Such a great learning experience and good opportunity to work together and have fun doing so.

Yeah coffee has taken off here in Oz.. Melbourne is booming and there are specialty coffee roasters/cafes everywhere now. Yeah I roast my own green beans at home, and got a bunch of brewing apparatus' hehe. There's some incredible stuff around in terms of the quality of beans... and it's great seeing the farmers being paid more for a much higher quality product, and so many coffee projects and initiatives going which helps developing countries who work darn hard to grow and process the coffee they do!

All off topic but seems like we've just run with it (I blame bacon... But that ain't a bad thing ;) )

My daughter and her husband were in Melbourne last year for the Gold Cup. He brought horses across from the UK and she went out to see him for a holiday and to see the horses as she looks after them when they are in quarantine ( Australia is hugely fussy about what comes into the country, NO food allowed lol or anything organic the horse poo must stay on the plane and the tack must be all new. I'd give her some beans from here for you to try but they won't let them in!) and to watch the races, they had a good time there, my son in law has been across a few times racing now to Sydney as well. I expect they'll be back this year too.

It seems coffee is good for you too according to the latest 'what's good what's not' info. 3 Reasons Why Coffee Is So Good for You

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I dislike peas in any form and obviously don't eat any form of pork, someone did say to me once that she understood I didn't eat pork but surely I ate bacon was fine. :rolleyes: Many people do not know what they are eating!
'Seafood' in the UK is the stuff from the sea that isn't fish ie. crabs, lobster, prawns, cockles, scallops, mussels, winkles, squid, octopus etc.

Here, and in every place in the world I can think of, seafood means anything from the sea. Fish is fish. Shellfish is shellfish. Both are seafood.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Here, and in every place in the world I can think of, seafood means anything from the sea. Fish is fish. Shellfish is shellfish. Both are seafood.
Whilst you are of course correct in your definition, tez is also correct, that here in the UK, there is a common demarcation between " fish" and to a lesser extent prawns, that are considered mainstream and everything else, jellied eels, welks cockels muscles etc that are considered a bit niche. So fish is fish everything Else is " seafood" in the popular vernacular,

Most people will eat a nice price of cod, a lot of people, including myself, won't touch " Sea food"( apart from a prawn cocktail.)

In Italy', I orderer something in " foreign " and was presented with a plate of whole baby octupus, I was physically sick just at the sight of it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions