Family Classes

lifespantkd

Blue Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
It is interesting that some people do tkd as a shared hobby with their kid/s. It some sort of common bond they can have both inside the dojang and even at home practicing form together in the lounge room. For others it's a release, its that time they get away from the wife and kids and work and mowing the lawn etc etc, and the last thing they would ever want is to share it with someone else.

I think it's about having enough options that something will work out for everyone. And, that's going to be different for different people in different places at different times in their lives. I began Taekwondo before I became a mother. The class I started in happened to be a family class just because that's what worked for my work schedule, not because I had any particular thought about it one way or the other. Then an injury, graduate school, and then mothering contributed to keeping me from practicing for a few years. My next opportunity to practice Taekwondo was also a family class--with my then six-year-old daughter. She and I were still practicing four years later when I adopted my youngest four years ago. With my baby strapped on in an Asian-style baby carrier, I would help teach class and gently practice poomsae or whatever else could be done without risk of falling. Now I teach a family class. My youngest practices Taekwondo with me and my oldest daughter (2nd poom waiting to convert to 2nd dan) is my assistant instructor. Without the option of family classes, I never would have been able to continue in Taekwondo. Most of the students I teach now would not be practicing Taekwondo without a family class, either. But, some come just because they like the intergenerational atmosphere as a refreshing option in a highly age-segregated culture.

Cynthia

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Are these popular in your school? I'm referring to classes where adults and children are intermixed, the idea being that Mom, Dad, and the kiddos can all train together as a family activity.

This was fairly successful in my church class, but my business dojang's 'family' class really is just a kids class itself. I've never seen any adult come in to train during the family class slot, other than the odd beginner white belt who is looking for additional practice opportunities.
The school where I used to train had a pretty good mix of parents and kids in the family class for about four years. Then due to the course of peoples lives (one family was military and was transferred, another moved away, one lady lost her job and couldn't afford to keep her or her kids in the class) the parent/child combinations dropped off and the class basically became a kids class. Once all of the adults were gone, no adults wanted to join the class because they were uncomfortable being the only adult in a class full of kids.

Conversely, a good number of parents insisted on bringing their kids to the adult class and it turned into a combo adult/family class. The school owner didn't have the confidence in himself to tell them no; the family class is at such and such time; attend that class. The results were predictable; the adults who were serious started coming on nights when those people weren't there, or left to train elsewhere.

I think that it is a good idea, but people with kids need to be made aware that the adult classes are for adults and that the kids need to stay in the kids and family classes. If mom and dad want to train in an adult class, get a babysitter.

cali_tkdbruin

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Family classes, although they're not as popular in other countries or regions where TKD is practiced, but in my experience I found that where I live they worked out well for me and my daughter.

I'm a dad, and I wanted to find a commonality to share with my daughter since I don't have any sons. So, since my nephew was already a TKD practitioner, he started bringing along my young daughter to watch him train. My daughter, who's such a girl, no disrespect to females, really liked it!

I thought, I should do this too, so I started training in TKD with her and it's turned out pretty well. We share an art that's really bonded us together even stronger. My lil girl is now 22, she started in TKD as a 7 year old. We both have earned our BBs after a lot of hard work, sweat, repetitive training and stress. It was all worth it. So, I'm sure when my daughter has her own children, we'll also all be involved in TKD together as a family. Go figure...

rlobrecht

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The school I attend is all family classes except Little Ninjas(3 to 6 yo). We're segregated by belt for regular classes and mixed on the weekend. My son and I attend together, and family classes was a requirement when picking the school.

Monday and Wednesday we have 45 minute classes
Beginner - white to yellow stripe
advanced beginner - yellow to green
Intermediate - green to blue

Tuesday and Thursday we have 1 hour classes
Advanced - blue to red
Black belt