Newfoundland Taekwondo

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm indescribably grateful for Park's early influence in Newfoundland. Because of the PTF school here, now we have 10+ schools in the provincial association, a number of junior and senior national champs and we're working on our own distinct competition circuit. Without GM Park we'd never have any of that, it'd still be five or six generic martial arts schools teaching in their own little bubble. Taekwondo is still not easy to support here but at least we're united.

That's what it is all about what you wrote above, gratitude and unification. You said the magic words. Your association is on the right track. If things work out, perhaps we can one day we can invite your provincial team for an exchange training session at our Olympic Training Center.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That's what it is all about what you wrote above, gratitude and unification. You said the magic words. Your association is on the right track. If things work out, perhaps we can one day we can invite your provincial team for an exchange training session at our Olympic Training Center.

Thanks very much, sir. We have come a long way for sure, but there's a ways left to go yet. Our Provincial team is coming together, slowly but surely. For my part, as long as I'm in Newfoundland I intend to be working on making sure things work out. For right now I have a few years of competition to get to first, I'm not ready to completely move to coaching yet. The people I used to fight as a kid make up our team now, I have to take my shot too even if it goes nowhere.

I've been close numerous times to leaving Taekwondo for a bunch of reasons but each time I decide I have more to do. I'll probably always have more to do :) I can see how people spend lifetimes in sport Taekwondo and it doesn't seem like such a bad way to spend my free time.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can see how people spend lifetimes in sport Taekwondo and it doesn't seem like such a bad way to spend my free time.

No it isn't. The best part for me has been meeting people from all over the country and the world at events, meetings, on trips, etc. I've also been to places that I normally wouldn't visit if there weren't a tournament or meeting scheduled there.

Another thing you might wish to consider, once this Kukkiwon stuff is sorted out, is to attend a Kukkiwon Instructor Course hosted in the US. People are interested in having one in the New England area, which should make it a little easier for you to get there. I'm sure someone here will let you know if and when that happens.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've been wanting to attend an instructor course the first chance I get actually. Even if it works out that I'm not running a school by then, which is likely. Since I took over the school, I've found I really love to teach and coach and most of all to help people grow through Taekwondo. When I was a kid I idolized some of my instructors and seeing that in my younger students is an awesome feeling.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I've been wanting to attend an instructor course the first chance I get actually. Even if it works out that I'm not running a school by then, which is likely.

You don't need to be an instructor to attend the Kukkiwon Instructor Course. But are you thinking about closing your dojang?

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ethan, 1500 miles to New England isn't an easy trip but should you make it down here, you have a place to stay and a tour guide :)

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You don't need to be an instructor to attend the Kukkiwon Instructor Course. But are you thinking about closing your dojang?

No, I'll never leave my students without a dojang if I can help it. I'm passing it off, most likely to the very capable hands of Mr. Randall, and continuing my education in university :)

More so than the education I've found that, while I love Taekwondo in general, I really would only teach/coach the sport side given my choice. Plus I feel like I have to get back into competing again before I get any older. At 19 I feel like I still have a reasonable chance at competing in the Canadian nationals at least.

Ethan, 1500 miles to New England isn't an easy trip but should you make it down here, you have a place to stay and a tour guide :)

Thanks, Carol, I'll take you up on that if I make it there :D

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
No, I'll never leave my students without a dojang if I can help it. I'm passing it off, most likely to the very capable hands of Mr. Randall, and continuing my education in university

I remember now. Perhaps you can start a taekwondo club at your university, if they don't already have one.

More so than the education I've found that, while I love Taekwondo in general, I really would only teach/coach the sport side given my choice. Plus I feel like I have to get back into competing again before I get any older. At 19 I feel like I still have a reasonable chance at competing in the Canadian nationals at least.

You have at least ten years in which to compete.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I remember now. Perhaps you can start a taekwondo club at your university, if they don't already have one.

There was one, incidentally started by a BB I know pretty well, taught me years ago. Not sure if it still exists.

You have at least ten years in which to compete.

I'm hoping so. I really have never tested myself in competition as an adult, sparring with my peers in training sessions and that's all. I competed as a child and I want to test myself as a mature Taekwondo player.

OP
P

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
I really have never tested myself in competition as an adult, sparring with my peers in training sessions and that's all. I competed as a child and I want to test myself as a mature Taekwondo player.

Go for it.