fame?

G

Gavin

I'm not happy with my current position in life at the moment, but Im working hard to achieve high standards and widespread recognition, as i think a better life will follow. does anyone else feel the same? what are your views on fame?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gavin said:
I'm not happy with my current position in life at the moment, but Im working hard to achieve high standards and widespread recognition, as i think a better life will follow. does anyone else feel the same? what are your views on fame?
"...achieve high standards and widespread recognition..."? What kind of recognition are you seeking? Being known by "everybody" does not always guarantee a better life.

Seek to improve yourself with different facets of your life and be happy about who you are, then others will be able to see that. If you look to others to make you happy, then you will find happiness to be rather elusive.

- Ceicei

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, Life is not simple. We all go thru up and downs. Read any Chicken soup books and you will know most of us have problems of some kind. It is trying to get thru is not easy. Mostly it is in the head.

Accept who and what you are! Make the most of what you have! Think of the good things you have about you. Realize there are lots of people worst off. You must love yourself before you can love others. Always try to be friends with everyone you meet. If you try to help others? You will find it helps you too!. Fame is selfish thinking. Don't become something you arn't.
JUST BE YOURSELF..! Read books on self improving and positive thinking. Winners never quit, only loser quit trying. Accept the fact of who you are! An work on improveing that person for the better. Some days it will feel like inches and others yards of improvement. Start from where you are and begin.

Everyone has problems, (worst ones are math) IN martial arts , move slow and can't jump up, always block after the hit, punch them when they are to far away. Kick is so slow they have to wait till comes up and they hav e time to think about it. You got problems? ......aloha

OP
R

rmcrobertson

Boy, is THAT ever the wrong question if you're over 21.

I remember when I started, back about 14 years or so ago--all I worried about was whether or not my toes were in and my knees were bent, why I couldn't punch decently, and whether or not I had my blocks aligned correctly.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Don't worry about the recognition. How do you get to Carnegie Hall? Practice, practice, practice...

OP
G

Gavin

I see fame as a chance of getting respect and recognition from your peers. i want to prove my worthiness to everyone around me

MichiganTKD

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What does being famous have to do with getting respect? Lots of people have fame but nobody respects them.
In all honesty, when I was your age I felt EXACTLY like you do. I felt trapped in a hum-drum go nowhere world and wanted to be famous so that people would notice me. Curse of the Middle Child Syndrome I suppose. What I came to find is that fame is fleeting. You might also find yourself famous for things you had not intended. You sound young, and have your whole life ahead of you to achieve great things and make important decisions.

BrandiJo

Master of Arts
Reaction score
if you want to prove your worthiness to others then be a good exaple, you dont have to be widely know to have respect and you dont have to have world wide fame to be worth something.

OP
C

Clive

Keep practicing, so that you have a skill that is worthy of recognition and be humble with everyone you meet, be it a top level student or someone with no experience that has just walked through the door. You must also ask yourself why it is you seek fame and consider the disadvantages that may arise as a result of it. :jedi1:

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Gavin said:
I see fame as a chance of getting respect and recognition from your peers. i want to prove my worthiness to everyone around me
I was talking with a friend about various Martial arts... he asked me what art I study, I told him that I was basically a JKDI. He asked me if I would go a couple rounds with him (he supposedly was a TKD-BB). I just smiled and said... I have nothing to prove. He kept trying to get me up and going "just for the fun of it". I kept saying I-have-nothing-to-prove. He respected me for that because he understood that a martialist doesn't have anything to prove other than they got too big of an ego to handle. Apparently I don't. We get along pretty nicely these days.
If you want recognition and respect you got to earn it of course. How are you planning to do that? In what way do you want that recognition and respect? Why is it such a big deal? The most important person you need to get recognition and respect from is yourself. Having the inner confidence that you can do what ever needs to be done.
As a trainer in Single Rope Techniques (SRT) I get anywhere from 4-7 (new) students a month. The fact that they seek me out or were referred to me by my own peers is enough. My name isn't on a billboard or splashed on television/radio every 20 minutes. It's not in magazines or in newsletters. But I am known by word of mouth. :idunno: that's enuff for me.
I get involved with mapping (caves) and five times now my name failed to appear on the finished map(s). Not a big deal overall, but I was like "hey! wait a second, my work on that project didn't count?" Big sigh and left it be, after pointing it out to the project leader their slight error. My name on the map/projects doesn't have to be first on the list of contributors but it would be nice to have it on there. Reason: it gets me invited to more projects/trips because it shows I know how to.
Fame is fleeting, fame is fickle, fame doesn't (always) last. 90% of the people that are famous from way back when to the present... would probably rather not be. What's the point? What's the need? Do you want to be remembered for good or for ill?
We recognize you. We're answering your post. Isn't that enough?

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Well, I would say that most of us, during some point of our lives (especially while young), had wished/hoped to be well known and "famous" for what we do or know. As we gain life experiences through the years, we realize that the goal of being well-known and famous is not as important as being able to respect ourselves for who we are.

If in the process of doing our best and people see that, then it is good. If "practice, practice, practice makes perfect", the majority will be willing to show respect for you, not because it is demanded by you, but because they recognize the effort and integrity of your actions. Respect comes naturally when we do not focus upon earning it, but upon improving who we are and enjoying life and the challenges that happen.

That said, there will always be ups and downs and even times when things seem no longer worthwhile. Just remember that the down times will pass and things will eventually get better. Life is just a test of patience.

- Ceicei

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
If you are wanting the fame that comes from being a great martial artist you should be prepared to fight a very large number of fights. From my own past experience the only thing fame ever gets is a person into trouble. Every billy bad-boy will come from miles around to test themselves against you. If they beat you they will go around saying that they defeated the great who-ever. If you beat them your rep will grow and more fighters will seek you out. It is a lose-lose situation. You will have to eventually beat somebody really bad or kill them to make the fights stop. Then you run the risk of getting shot or stabbed so they can level the playing field.

Before you go to far please stop and think before acting. The world can be brutal to anyone with a reputation. Be sure of what you are wanting before you make it a reality.

Franc0

Purple Belt
Reaction score
IMO, fame is a two way street in the Martial Arts. With literally hundreds of thousands of practitioners out there, I've realised that it's truly a small circle of famous AND respected MA'ists that stand the test of time. I'm sure many of you have seen individuals on the cover of Black Belt, Inside Kung Fu and others, that gave them "momentary" fame, but seemed to fade away into obscurity not long after that.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gavin said:
Gavin why do you feel you need people recognition and respect, people tend to spend to much time worrying about what other think and not caring about life that is around them embrace life and respect will come from within and with that others will respect your inner self. May your heart be filled with the world goodness and the rest is left out in the cold.

OP
K

Kempogeek

still learning said:
Hello, Life is not simple. We all go thru up and downs. Read any Chicken soup books and you will know most of us have problems of some kind. It is trying to get thru is not easy. Mostly it is in the head.

Accept who and what you are! Make the most of what you have! Think of the good things you have about you. Realize there are lots of people worst off. You must love yourself before you can love others. Always try to be friends with everyone you meet. If you try to help others? You will find it helps you too!. Fame is selfish thinking. Don't become something you arn't.
JUST BE YOURSELF..! Read books on self improving and positive thinking. Winners never quit, only loser quit trying. Accept the fact of who you are! An work on improveing that person for the better. Some days it will feel like inches and others yards of improvement. Start from where you are and begin.

Everyone has problems, (worst ones are math) IN martial arts , move slow and can't jump up, always block after the hit, punch them when they are to far away. Kick is so slow they have to wait till comes up and they hav e time to think about it. You got problems? ......aloha
Hey Gavin. I hope that you taking to heart everthing that has been posted. They are all correct. As I've been told, money and fame don't always guarantee happiness. It took me a while to be happy with myself although there's always room for improvement. Im kind of a heavy set guy but I didn't let that stop me from joining Kempo. Sure there are some areas that I can improve on. Im not in it to be famous. I just want to have a personal achievement in my life. Believe me, the word "ego" is never in my vocabulary nor will it ever will be. At work I help whenever possible. I don't have to help out but it's my nature to do. I usually have this reputation of being a "nice guy" and I comfortable with that despite the saying about finishing last. I work on a midnight stock crew and I like to think that Im friends with everyone since Im just being myself. I don't look to others to make me happy. I try to make others happy. I do this with my wood carvings. I have a few friends in Karate and TKD that I make martial arts theme ornaments. They are not great works of art but Im happy with the end results and my friends enjoy them. I don't accept any money from them as I make them just for the heck of it. That's my so called fame. It may be among a small circle of friends but I'll take it. So I hope you think about it more and make the right decision. But whatever you chose, hope it makes you happy. Best regards, Steve