Questions

ppko

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
“...just not committed.”

It is true, the Okinawan Karate masters did use Stone Padlocks!

My friends at Kung Fu Tai Chi Magazine have found several references to stone padlock use in a variety of fantastic sources. I will let you guys know about these various references here in the Atomic Athletic Bomb Proof Bulletins.

Traditional Okinawan Karate uses a wide variety of strength training implements. This supplemental training is called Hojo Undo. Don Warrener wrote a really fantastic article in World of Martial Arts magazine, from February 1999, titled “Is weight training of value?: Comparing traditional Okinawan Training with today’s methods”.

It is more of an overview type of article, but does have several great pictures of classical strength training tools paired up with some excellent historical background. For those of you interested in searching for more on the Japanese name for the Stone Padlocks, they are called Chi Ishi. The photos show a variety of shapes, which are well used, but obviously the same basic design as the ones used by the Shaolin Monks.

According to the article, the strength training was dropped by the Japanese when the traditional karate was systemized. What is interesting is the first reason Warrener gives for why weight training is not used in most of today’s karate training, “Firstly, it is this writer’s belief that Westerners are not prepared to condition their bodies like the students of Miyagi did. Most are just not that committed.” That may be true, but I believe it is more a lack of knowledge.

Are you committed to serious conditioning?

Click here for your link to our stone padlock master page!

Live strong,
Roger LaPointe
Atomic Athletic
PO Box 71213
Madison Heights, MI 48071
www.atomicathletic.com
this was an e-mail sent to me here are my questions
Who is this guy, have you heard of him, is he a reputable haman being?
Does anyone do this training, if so what has it done for you?

Latest Discussions