Evolution in taekwondo

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It means someone has decided to rewrite things again just because he got bored of yellow, green, blue and red. None of this actually means anything.

troubleenuf

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Exactly... One more guy who wants to "leave his mark" on TKD and since they screwed up patterns recently he couldnt do that again so he went with this.

It means someone has decided to rewrite things again just because he got bored of yellow, green, blue and red. None of this actually means anything.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Exactly... One more guy who wants to "leave his mark" on TKD and since they screwed up patterns recently he couldnt do that again so he went with this.

I must have picked on somebody at the KKW in elementary school or something. They seem intent on causing me to have a coronary.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A new taekwondo rank structure, now with meaning

Can you expand on this Master Southwick.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can explain what this all means? ( New belt colours, uniforms etc. )
Who has made Decision? When and where? When it will be official? This is not a joke?:fanboy:

/Markku P.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also this is not "evolution". Right now, my opinion on what it is is somewhere between "catering to people who the KKW shouldn't care about" to "An evil plot designed purely to make me angry".

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Actually, it is evolution; it is the continuation of “Koreanizing” taekwondo. It is their art and now the uniform looks like a hanbok. The newly assigned colors, symbols and philosophical meanings are all in line with Korean ways of thought. I would say it is very distinguished from other martial arts (karate) thus creating a unique identity. Plus, it seems so organized this way.

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
On the other hand assigning meanings that were not actually intended to established systems is wrong. That is what gave us some of the biggest myths in martial arts today:

(1) The belt colors come from wearing your belt so much that it changes colors because of your blood, sweat and tears, thus turning black (basically from dirt). What a joke, no Asian culture would even allow the wearing of some dirty garment.

(2) The colors were picked to represent your journey (they do actually for white and black) yellow is the sun, green is the grass, blue is the sky and red danger (red used to be brown). Although a wonderful metaphor the belt colors are not really designed that way. Kano, who invented the belt system, for judo used red as the highest color not black. (Free attaboy to whomever can answer why that is – hint: it has to do with Japanese culture)

Creating a philosophical base line or paradigm that destroys another on which it was actually based is a really dangerous action. Cleansing (destroying) or evolving?

In answer to your query,
One thing I love about the kukkiwon: they do not tell you how to run your show.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score

Can you explain a little more about what you mean by "they screwed up patterns recently"? Who is "they"?

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
On the other hand assigning meanings that were not actually intended to established systems is wrong. That is what gave us some of the biggest myths in martial arts today:

(1) The belt colors come from wearing your belt so much that it changes colors because of your blood, sweat and tears, thus turning black (basically from dirt). What a joke, no Asian culture would even allow the wearing of some dirty garment.
(2) The color represent your journey (they do actually for white and black) yellow is the sun, green is the grass, blue is the sky and red danger (red used to be brown). Although a wonderful metaphor the belt colors are not really designed that way. Kano, who invented the belt system, for judo used red as the highest color not black. (Free attaboy to whomever can answer why that is – hint: it has to do with Japanese culture)

Creating a philosophical base line or paradigm that destroys another on which it was actually based is a really dangerous action. Cleansing (destroying) or evolving?

In answer to your query,
One thing I love about the kukkiwon: they do not tell you how to run your show.

I'm afraid I was (unintentionally) a bit abrasive, you have my apology for that Mr. (Master?) Southwick.

I'm of the belief that TKD owes more to Karate than to TSD and I don't personally believe approaching TSD is good for TKD. I think the white v neck dobok, black collar, black belt are too much a part of TKD now to replace, even if it is more Korean.

So far as Judo belts go, I know red represents a warning or danger. That's the best explanation I can offer.

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
So is it going to be mandatory in KKW dojangs?

What do you mean? A dojang controlled or owned by the Kukkiwon? No such thing exists, unless you are talking about the organizations' own facility in Korea. If you are talking about dojangs that practice Kukkiwon style Taekwondo that's another story: The Kukkiwon is not and has never been in the business of managing or overseeing Taekwondo businesses, clubs non-profits, basement/garage studios, etc.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
(2) The color represent your journey (they do actually for white and black) yellow is the sun, green is the grass, blue is the sky and red danger (red used to be brown). Although a wonderful metaphor the belt colors are not really designed that way. Kano, who invented the belt system, for judo used red as the highest color not black. (Free attaboy to whomever can answer why that is – hint: it has to do with Japanese culture)

Red isn't the highest color in Judo, white is, the 12th Dan double white belt for Kano Sensei. Also metaphor you give above isn't the way I learned it. I learned it as black meant the universe which is higher or farther than the sun, red meant the sun, which is higher than the blue sky, which is higher than green grass or green leaves on a tree, which is higher than yellow or gold ore in the ground. And red was the original guep level color from the 1940s. So says GM LEE Won Kuk, the founder of the earliest Kwan.

Markku P

Blue Belt
Reaction score
So this might be a new belt system? (geup)

9.geup white
8.geup ivory
7.geup yellow
6.geup light gold
5. geup green
4. geup blue
3.geup orange
2.geup purple
1.geup red

..no stripes?

I know every school can decide them self but I just wondering..

/Markku

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What do you mean? A dojang controlled or owned by the Kukkiwon? No such thing exists, unless you are talking about the organizations' own facility in Korea. If you are talking about dojangs that practice Kukkiwon style Taekwondo that's another story: The Kukkiwon is not and has never been in the business of managing or overseeing Taekwondo businesses, clubs non-profits, basement/garage studios, etc.

I wanted to know if I had to use them in my school and if I'll need them for competition. Thanks.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Actually, it is evolution; it is the continuation of “Koreanizing” taekwondo. It is their art and now the uniform looks like a hanbok.

The v neck dobok also looks like a hanbok, which is why it was developed in the first place.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
What is the point of isolating the women from the men?

I don't think Title VII or Title IX was taken into consideration. I do know that there are anti-discrimination clauses in the Olympic Charter, but that may apply only to actual competition issues, and not uniform issues. Male and female gymnasts for example, wear different clothing for competition.

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Red isn't the highest color in Judo, white is, the 12th Dan double white belt for Kano Sensei. Also metaphor you give above isn't the way I learned it. I learned it as black meant the universe which is higher or farther than the sun, red meant the sun, which is higher than the blue sky, which is higher than green grass or green leaves on a tree, which is higher than yellow or gold ore in the ground. And red was the original guep level color from the 1940s. So says GM LEE Won Kuk, the founder of the earliest Kwan.

Basically, Red is the highest in Judo. Let’s stop at judan please. Those judoka deserve a new white belt!

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
Basically, Red is the highest in Judo. Let’s stop at judan please.

Basically, red is not the highest; double white belt is. And let's not stop at judan please; instead let us go for historical accuracy and recognize that Judo has a 12th Dan ranking, represented by a double white belt, for Kano Sensei.

Latest Discussions