So everyone is on the same page, these are the new titles:

1-3 Dan: Sabum (Master)
4-6 Dan: Jido Sabum (Instructor Master)
7-9 Dan: Dae Sabum (Grandmaster).

So how would address a Jido Sabum? Example only As Hi Jido Sabumnim Puunui

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
This probably won't even affect my school. If it does, I'll cross that bridge when I get there. But I'm not wearing a house coat or a blue belt. Why again do we need to look like TSD?

I think that while the belt looks blue in the diagrams, the text above says black belt for dan holder and in the photographs it looks black (to my eyes). I'm not a great fan of the trigram on the sleeve though...

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The guep color belt system is different from what seems to be the standard in US dojang, which is white, yellow, orange, green, purple, blue, brown, red, black (or some derivative of that).

Not to hijack the thread, but I was stunned when you said that. I always assumed that most dojangs everywhere follow white, yellow-tag/stripe, yellow, green-tag/stripe, green, blue-tag/stripe, blue, red-tag/stripe, red, black-tag/stripe, black belt. I know some prefer brown to red, but I still thought they were in a minority.

So I'm stunned that the standard or as you wrote "seems" at least a very common configuration includes orange and purple belts... I've never seen a Taekwondoin wearing those colours.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
As far as colors go, I remember having an orange belt. And a purple. But my first few years were outside the WTF.

I think that while the belt looks blue in the diagrams, the text above says black belt for dan holder and in the photographs it looks black (to my eyes). I'm not a great fan of the trigram on the sleeve though...

Right. Cool.

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From someone obviously not in the federation:

New uniforms, new belts and ranking = more money spent by the practitioner
Are there to be new requirements also for the new ranks?

I agree. And what's the purpose behind a different color for men and women? Are people having that much trouble seeing gender differences? :)

The guep color belt system is different from what seems to be the standard in US dojang, which is white, yellow, orange, green, purple, blue, brown, red, black (or some derivative of that).

It's never been the system in any dojang I've studied in, and I started in 1987. When my instructor's instructor started, in 1965, the colors were white, yellow, green, brown, black - and that was it. Later, when he was a brown belt, the system was reworked to white, yellow, green, blue, red, black - which caused him to have to re-test for red (he had been a brown belt at the time). Perhaps you should look at some Ch'ang H'on dojangs before speaking for all TKD practitioners in the US.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score

My apologies... On page 300 it says blue-black, on page 600 it says traditional black.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's never been the system in any dojang I've studied in, and I started in 1987. When my instructor's instructor started, in 1965, the colors were white, yellow, green, brown, black - and that was it. Later, when he was a brown belt, the system was reworked to white, yellow, green, blue, red, black - which caused him to have to re-test for red (he had been a brown belt at the time). Perhaps you should look at some Ch'ang H'on dojangs before speaking for all TKD practitioners in the US.

Even assuming Puunui is only referring to Kukki-Taekwondo dojang, it's still pulled the rug out from under me ;-)

I tend to think of KKW first and others as an afterthought, but apparently I share a Gup belt system with the ITF...

mastercole

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Longboat Key over looking Sarasota Bay, at least u
So get ready for some real change! Coming to a Dojang near you…..A new taekwondo rank structure, now with meaning and new colors, plus new uniforms! EXTRA - The black belt is now blue (midnight blue, like TSD)

Actually we will introduce these new uniforms next month at the World Poomsae Championships in Vladivostok Russia! Cannot wait to wear mine.

http://www.jcalicu.com/JCALICUS_POOMSAE_files/%202011poomsae.pdf

Have fun!

I don't know if the WTF has actually made a final decision as of yet. In their WTF World Poomsae packet, they leave it open as a possibility, stating something like if it is decided, the New Poomsae Competition Uniforms will be provided for free.

If they decide to have everyone wear one, it will be interesting to see the responses.

OP
MSUTKD

MSUTKD

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if the WTF has actually made a final decision as of yet. In their WTF World Poomsae packet, they leave it open as a possibility, stating something like if it is decided, the New Poomsae Competition Uniforms will be provided for free.

If they decide to have everyone wear one, it will be interesting to see the responses.

Yes, at this time it's us that test it out. They are providing the uniforms to us. It's if we get to keep them that will be up in the air, lol.

puunui

Senior Master
Reaction score
When my instructor's instructor started, in 1965, the colors were white, yellow, green, brown, black - and that was it.

Really. When my instructor's instructor started, in 1944, the colors were white, red, black - and that was it.

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Don't be, the Kukkiwon does not tell people how to run their clubs or schools.

No, but my superiors do. I don't see them forcing this on me though.

To be honest, I'm a bit change-phobic plus I believe in/prefer the black belt over the midnight blue. Just my preference. Plus, honestly, I like my new Adidas dobok and belt too much to retire them that soon...

Miles

Senior Master
Reaction score
I think the new uniforms may draw more attention to poomsae competition at least initially. That's a good thing as these are dedicated athletes. But the beauty of the poomsae and the athleticism of the performers should be the main emphasis, not the color of the dobok.

Latest Discussions