Common Pitfalls in Il Su Shik

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
After reading a recent thread with an attached video, it got me thinking about certain key elements when practicing one step sparring.

What cautions do you all stress when practicing one step sparring?

• Dangers of stepping inside the attack vs. outside the attack. (i.e. you could get hit with the attackers other fist!)
  • Dangers of turning your back to the attacker (i.e. getting choked or struck in the back or the back of the head).
  • Performing joint locks that require multiple movements of your hands to execute (i.e. nearly impossible to replicate in a real situation).
  • Taking multiple steps vs. efficient movments
Obviously one step sparring is not a good substitute for more free style hoshinsul, but its merit is in the practice of efficient and effective counters. All to often I see students practicing one steps that are not only ineffective, but put them in harm's way. I am interested in what you all stress when practicing one step sparring.

tinker1

Green Belt
Reaction score
After reading a recent thread with an attached video, it got me thinking about certain key elements when practicing one step sparring.

What cautions do you all stress when practicing one step sparring?

• Dangers of stepping inside the attack vs. outside the attack. (i.e. you could get hit with the attackers other fist!)
  • Dangers of turning your back to the attacker (i.e. getting choked or struck in the back or the back of the head).
  • Performing joint locks that require multiple movements of your hands to execute (i.e. nearly impossible to replicate in a real situation).
  • Taking multiple steps vs. efficient movments
Obviously one step sparring is not a good substitute for more free style hoshinsul, but its merit is in the practice of efficient and effective counters. All to often I see students practicing one steps that are not only ineffective, but put them in harm's way. I am interested in what you all stress when practicing one step sparring.

I've always seen one step as more of a teaching mechanism, than anything for practical self defense or sparring. Basically it is a means to slow things down, dissect movements, and show solutions. It all comes down to the old maxim, you have to learn to do something slow before you can do it fast.

For example, it is during one step that I teach the concept of zero pressure zones of various techniques. I teach this as a fundamental concept of combat (not just sparring, but self defense as well). The concept is initially taught in one step, then with increasing speed, then moved into sparring drills, then finally into sparring and self defense.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I've always seen one step as more of a teaching mechanism, than anything for practical self defense or sparring. Basically it is a means to slow things down, dissect movements, and show solutions. It all comes down to the old maxim, you have to learn to do something slow before you can do it fast.

For example, it is during one step that I teach the concept of zero pressure zones of various techniques. I teach this as a fundamental concept of combat (not just sparring, but self defense as well). The concept is initially taught in one step, then with increasing speed, then moved into sparring drills, then finally into sparring and self defense.

Certainly a valid and effective aspect of one step! My point was more about the fact that some people neglect the pitfalls of their own counters because the opponent isn't coming with more than one attack or moving around.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I think one steps can be designed to teach skills that are more practical in nature. Suppose we start in striking range and then have partner throw a jab and then a haymaker in short succession, which is a common enough scenario. What would be most opportune? Do we stand square and try to parry both blows? Is it realistic to think that we would be able to move at all to avoid the blows? How about body angling?

I think experimenting in like manner with a specific set of attacks, combination or singly, should lead to the development of effective countering skills. The main thing to keep in mind is that one step practice must progress beyond the joon bee -> step through punch level of training if it is to be meaningful.

OP
SahBumNimRush

SahBumNimRush

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I think one steps can be designed to teach skills that are more practical in nature. Suppose we start in striking range and then have partner throw a jab and then a haymaker in short succession, which is a common enough scenario. What would be most opportune? Do we stand square and try to parry both blows? Is it realistic to think that we would be able to move at all to avoid the blows? How about body angling?

I think experimenting in like manner with a specific set of attacks, combination or singly, should lead to the development of effective countering skills. The main thing to keep in mind is that one step practice must progress beyond the joon bee -> step through punch level of training if it is to be meaningful.

We train with these type of scenerios, although typically only at black belt level. Both free style (2-3 attacks undetermined) and predetermined (2-3 attacks). I agree that these can be quite functional, and it certainly takes the one step sparring to another level.

However, if the students practice impractical/inefficient counters in a basic one step sparring situation (attacker only throws one punch), then by the time they start practicing the above mentioned "advanced" one step sparring, they are in for a world of hurt.

This is why we stress efficiency of movement and awareness of body angle/positioning, so that IF the attacker were to throw a second or third strike you are in a position to adequately defend yourself.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well fo me one stpes are juts a tool to enhance coordination, there are some principles I adhere and try to teach: 1.-Distance is your best friend, try to keep safe distance beetewn you and your oponent, when performing a block or parry for me is more important to stay away of the reach of the bad guy because... if parry or block fails we have the room necesary to stay away and go for plan B. 2.-Always go backwards or to the side of the atack, is rare the I go forward in an uncoming atack.3.-Follow the K.I.S.S. principle, the more simple is what it works, forget about weird and fantastic moves,locks,trows... most of the time a nice front kick to the groin followed by a hammer fist is suficient. 4.-When using joint locks use the easier one and aply all the leverage you can. 5.-If the bad person is larger then you always use a distraction or a direct blow to take the bad guy off ballance and then aply the the finish blow. 6.-When you get the bad person to the ground don't follow him/her just run away or.... if you have the advantage finish him/her and run away.

Manny

Latest Discussions