Enrollment Books

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Does anyone here use enrollment books for their students? I know both Hwang Kee (founder of the Moo Duk Kwan) and Choi Yong Sul (founder of Hapkido) did.

What information do you record in these books if you use them? Just the name and start date of the student? All of the times they've trained with you? Other information? Do you enroll a student at their first lesson with you, or after they've spent a probationary period training?

Just curious as to how people keep track of their records these days with the omnipresence of the personal computer. I think enrollment books wuld be an interesting way to keep a link to one's tradition, personally, and helpful in determining things like lineage.

Pax,

Chris

StuartA

Black Belt
Reaction score
Our students have a license book, which marks their personal details down, dates of gradings, pass marks, examiners signitures etc. Plus courses attended & a few other bits - is that similar to what you mean?

All my students get a folder once they start also, it contains things like a brief history of TKD, some dojang terms, a passage about the importance of basics and consistant training + a few other bits - they top this up as they train through the years.

Stuart

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
What information do you record in these books if you use them? Just the name and start date of the student? All of the times they've trained with you? Other information? Do you enroll a student at their first lesson with you, or after they've spent a probationary period training?
Pax,Chris

We have a list of names and we keep track of classes they have attended and current rank..Students are only enrolled when they decide to train with us..

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I had one that listed the names, addresses, birth date, and contact information.

I also had a enrollment book that was given to the student that listed the requirements for their first belt, class rules, and some of the key words they would need to know. Blank pages where there for the student to start recording his information and starting his own notebook

igillman

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Our do-jang has a coloured card for each of us. The card has our name, photo and a list of dates. Every time we go for a class we place a mark by the date.

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Our do-jang has a coloured card for each of us. The card has our name, photo and a list of dates. Every time we go for a class we place a mark by the date.
Same with ours. For my self, I'd like to use an enrollment book; an actual book, not just a computer program.

Daniel

OP
C

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
Our students have a license book, which marks their personal details down, dates of gradings, pass marks, examiners signitures etc. Plus courses attended & a few other bits - is that similar to what you mean?

Not exactly. The enrollment books I referred to originally belonged to GM Hwang Kee and GM Choi, Yong Sul. They were books the instructors kept that recorded information such as dates of training, dan ranking, etc. They seemed to be a means of keeping the history of the Moo Duk Kwan or of Hapkido in a central local so people would know who trained when, who was senior to whom, who had what rank, etc.

Pax,

Chris

Edit: Actually, upon rereading your initial post, this is pretty close to what I was referring. I conflated this and the folder you said each student got. My apologies.

Pax,

Chris