Korean Staff

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Along the same lines as is being discussed in another thread about the hidden movements/meaning of TKD forms, is anyone interested in a colaborative developement of some Staff forms.

I haven't found any I really like. They either use too complicated movements or fancy spins.

I would like to develop three to five forms up to Black Belt. Starting with basic blocks and strikes and getting increasingly more complicated covering the full range of techniques. As you progress you can add the spins into the basic forms.

Anyone interested?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I would recommend looking into a form called Tsui Sho. It is a basic bo form that a lot of karate dojos use. I would also recommend Mst. Sang's bo tape from Turtle Press. It is a nice one as well.

OP
T

terrylamar

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I would recommend looking into a form called Tsui Sho. It is a basic bo form that a lot of karate dojos use. I would also recommend Mst. Sang's bo tape from Turtle Press. It is a nice one as well.

I have seen some of Sang H. Kim's staff moves, although not the DVD you mention. They seemed overly complicated for beginners. I do intend to get the DVD.

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Again, I highly recommend looking into Hapkido. They have an extensive bong program - at least in the studio that I attend. I think that you will find some great ideas there.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Why not just look into Okinawan kobudo? No need to reinvent the wheel. There's a wealth of information out there. Many Okinawan karate instructors also know at least some kobudo, so instruction at a primary level is readily available.

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Right...that is why I recommended Tsui Sho. It is very basic. We also had GM Fumio Demura at our school last January and he showed us his basic bo form as well which was great. We have implemented it in our classes.

Terry, once I get back from Korea I can try to work on a vid that will demonstrate basic blocks and striking methods if that is what you are looking for.

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Right...that is why I recommended Tsui Sho. It is very basic. We also had GM Fumio Demura at our school last January and he showed us his basic bo form as well which was great. We have implemented it in our classes.

Cool. I practice kobudo myself from primarily the Taira line. Tsui Sho is not a form name I recognize. Can you tell me a little about its history?

miguksaram

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I don't recall if it is Goju ryu in origin or not. It is a fairly common bo form in most Okinawan karate schools, from what I understand. Richard Kim, makes reference to its founder in The Weaponless Warrior. Here is a video I found on youtube of it (though the form is not performed very well)

Last edited by a moderator:

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hmm, there appear to be fundamental flows with that form but I guess I'll attribute it to the performer.

The first bo kata I learned was tokumine no kun. It's clearly a basic form, yet it has sufficient difficulty for even a second or third year student to keep practicing it.

This is pretty close to my version, although yes, the performer could be more proficient.

Unless the OP just wants to develop some new forms, I would recommend seeking out a kobudo practictioner for instruction. I don't believe in reinventing the wheel; there's an entire body of knowledge readily obtainable already existing.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Discussions