Enough is Enough

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I think he is referred to as Buddha Dharma in some Indian regions, someone can correct me on this if I a happen to be wrong.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
If your stuff stands on its own merit get rid of the rank and title in your profile and user name and let it. be a "nobody" and let your words speak for you, not your rank and title.

I like this outlook and think it deserves much consideration, for Mr. Calkins and the rest of us.

Your Brother
John

Akashiro Tamaya

Green Belt
Reaction score
evenflow1121 said:
I think he is referred to as Buddha Dharma in some Indian regions, someone can correct me on this if I a happen to be wrong.

Bodhidama is what history knows him as as. I have never heard of Buddha Dharma.

Drac

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Andrew Green said:
If your stuff stands on its own merit get rid of the rank and title in your profile and user name and let it. "10th dan Soke" sets off red flags for most people, and for good reason. But prove us wrong, be a "nobody" and let your words speak for you, not your rank and title.
Words of wisdom in this post..

Bester

<font color=blue><B>Grand UberSoke, Sith-jutsu Ryu
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
I guess that depends on where those 20 have origins. Pro-life-pro choice,,,,Theology/Atheism...
True.

20 people? Any non-Japanese martial artists think so?
Me? As to the rest, I don't know. Does it matter?

If I don't live in England, I cant speak English? One word can't mean two diferrent things? Can a word be butchered to take on a whole new meaning? Is there such a thing as slang? Are slang words correct words or cannot be used?
There is "American" English and "English" English.
We are not talking about slang, we are talking about traditional titles being misused. "Soke" is Japanese, not English. In Japan, the word does NOT mean "Founder" which these fools keep incorrectly claiming it does. Stating it repeatedly does not change that fact anymore than calling a clear lemon-lime carbonated beverage "Coke" makes it a cola.

Founder is not "Soke".
Founder is "Setsuritsusha" (Literally, "One who founds")

Most of these title happy fools aren't teaching Asian arts.
So why do they insist on misusing Asian words?

There is a clown who thumbs his nose at traditional arts, did most of his training in his back yard based on movie stunts, has a korean background, but insists on being called "sensei" and uses a misspelling of a Japanese art for the name of his gymnastics scam. We should accept this?

Now we have Mr, Calkins here, who has been "awarded" (meaning paid a registration fee in some manner) the title of "Soke". He believes it means "Founder" despite the repeated comments of individuals who speak Japanese and evidence otherwise. Many of the individuals on the "Council" that "awarded" (IE sold) this title to him have questionable if not outright fraudulant backgrounds and reputations. His posted history has holes in it, his credentials aren't helping him out, and his own grasp of history is causing problems for him.

He claimed a title, but doesn't really know what it means.
He has professed expertize in areas that he has been shown he is mistaken.
He hides behind "budo", "brotherhood" and "bushido", while seeming to only know the movie versions.
He claims training in arts that no one can locate information of, outside of movie tie-ins.

If he truely understood the concepts he has been complaining we do not, he would have humbly accepted the corrections, expanded his own knowledge base, and grown. Instead, he whines about us, stamps his feet about his 30+ years training, and thinks we somehow owe him.

Sorry. Wrong.

I will take the expert opinion on what foriegn words mean when it comes from a person living in the nation of origin, who speaks it daily.
Not from a wanne-be who's watched a few too many kung fu flicks, and bought his credentials from a mutual-love society.

If individuals around him, be it separate from his own creation, his surrounding peers, believe so, then he believes so.
So, if all my friends and peers think I'm the Son of God...I am?
Cool.

Mr. Calkins, as well as many others may be excellent martial artists.
Where they run into problems is the misuse of foriegn words and titles to add some sense of 'mystisism' to their programs.
Calling it "Fugu-Ryu, taught by Kami-Soke" is "mysterious, but pompous.
Calling it "Calm of the Storm School, Mr. Kami - Founder and Head Instructor", thats in english, no pompous, but still has that little 'mystisism we all like.

The problem I have with these 'people', is that you talk to them, and it's "This is Sensei Joe", or "My name is Soke Smith". As we said, 1 WNY school has 107 "Senseis" on staff, most not old enough to shave, or even stay up past 8pm.

Too much misuse of titles, to much disinformation being passed out by these hacks. Too much ego to admit that in the face of truth, that they were wrong. I think that is the true measure of these people. They simply can't accept that "everything they know is wrong", so they either go to great measures to validate themselves (write letters, publish a book series, etc) or they run back to their little backwoodstowns where they can be the "big kar-ate master", impressing a bunch of rednecks, who simply don't know any better. Either way, shame on them.

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Akashiro Tamaya said:
Bodhidama is what history knows him as as. I have never heard of Buddha Dharma.
You are probably more knowledgeable on this stuff than I am so I take your word for it and I stand corrected.

Brother John

Senior Master
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
Factual data that there were "fighting monks" may not be total truth. I have read that there were so many renegades, rebels, amd the like given sanctuary there, they many were in cognito as monks. Making others believe that there were fighting monks.

Given the structure of Buddhism, why would Buddhist monks desire to fight?
Actually there are lots of historical examples of Buddhist monks being warriors or learning/teaching martial ways. Especially in Japan and Korea, but also in China and elsewhere.

Your Brother
John

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bester said:
Me? As to the rest, I don't know. Does it matter?.
It looks like it does.

Bester said:
There is "American" English and "English" English.
We are not talking about slang, we are talking about traditional titles being misused. "Soke" is Japanese, not English. In Japan, the word does NOT mean "Founder" which these fools keep incorrectly claiming it does. Stating it repeatedly does not change that fact anymore than calling a clear lemon-lime carbonated beverage "Coke" makes it a cola..
I could stand corrected, but isnt a "fag" in England a cigarette to as one in the US is homosexual? Hmmmn.......

Bester said:
Most of these title happy fools aren't teaching Asian arts.
So why do they insist on misusing Asian words? .
I have to agree. but then again many misuse English, French, Spanish as well. Shall I say that my hispanic freind cannot speak Spanish because he is not from Spain? That his Spanish should not have cultural/word differences? For sure, if he had traveled to Spain, many would think that he is misusing Spanish...Hmmmnnn

Bester said:
So, if all my friends and peers think I'm the Son of God...I am?
Cool..
Careful. You are speaking of the subject of religion. Many have made their followers think so.

Bester said:
Mr. Calkins, as well as many others may be excellent martial artists. Where they run into problems is the misuse of foriegn words and titles to add some sense of 'mystisism' to their programs.
Calling it "Fugu-Ryu, taught by Kami-Soke" is "mysterious, but pompous.
Calling it "Calm of the Storm School, Mr. Kami - Founder and Head Instructor", thats in english, no pompous, but still has that little 'mystisism we all like...
I agree. Better to be newly created-original than to label Coca-Cola as Pepsi

Bester said:
The problem I have with these 'people', is that you talk to them, and it's "This is Sensei Joe", or "My name is Soke Smith". As we said, 1 WNY school has 107 "Senseis" on staff, most not old enough to shave, or even stay up past 8pm. ..
So they cant be a "sensei"?

Bester said:
Too much misuse of titles, to much disinformation being passed out by these hacks. Too much ego to admit that in the face of truth, that they were wrong. I think that is the true measure of these people. They simply can't accept that "everything they know is wrong", so they either go to great measures to validate themselves (write letters, publish a book series, etc) or they run back to their little backwoodstowns where they can be the "big kar-ate master", impressing a bunch of rednecks, who simply don't know any better.
Very true. But lets not get into harsh bashing like other forums. Lets remain opposing. but polite.

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My 2cents:
They can be a sensei...if they teach a Japanese art.
Sifu if it's Chinese, etc.
It's an American art? fine. Use an American title.

Then again, for all the time I spent in school, I never had my teachers introduce themselves as "Teacher Smith". It was always mr or mrs.

Mark Lynn

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
ginshun said:
I am still waiting for more info on the Black Star Ninjitsu school in the Texas town that doesn't exist.

I think he might mean Garland TX instead of Garlin. Garland is located Notrtheast of Dallas. This could be an honest spelling mistake, looking over the posts there seem to be several mistakes.

FWIW

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Kaith Rustaz said:
My 2cents:
They can be a sensei...if they teach a Japanese art.
Sifu if it's Chinese, etc..
What if they had studied both, would it be Sen-fu?
icon12.gif

Kaith Rustaz said:
It's an American art? fine. Use an American title...
How can it be so if there are other arts/foundations involved?
Ok, the sign outside my school is "Rich's School of Defense Study".
Would that make the common wealth understand by passing it better than Rich's School of Karate or Rich's Karate School? Believe it or not, most of the Occidental common wealth associate Japanese/Chinese/Asian cultural terms to mean something. Any many do not fully understand the English term - "Martial Arts"

Kaith Rustaz said:
Then again, for all the time I spent in school, I never had my teachers introduce themselves as "Teacher Smith". It was always mr or mrs.
What about college "Professor Smith". Why use "professor" or Dr Smith-why use Dr.? Why use any word to link skill, profession, exepreince? Why use Mr. or Miss. or Mrs.? In school, it is because they did not have Japanese/Chinese/Cultural influences like martial arts have. The fact you were in a American school that did not have cultural links/interst to martial arts, may not use such wording. If I went to a American school and ask anyone what is Karate some would say it is Asian/Oriental Fighting. When I ask where did it come from, some may ot may not know. Terminology/wording is picked up scantly from sources, such as media. But using them in reference is wrong? Say such a school was teaching something culturely such as Spanish. No teachers or students would go around using the word terms even out of context?

Here is a thought, why do some Chinese call elder friends "uncle"?

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Brother John said:
Actually there are lots of historical examples of Buddhist monks being warriors or learning/teaching martial ways. Especially in Japan and Korea, but also in China and elsewhere.

Your Brother
John
But were they true Buddhists?

Bob Hubbard

Retired
MT Mentor
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
47MartialMan said:
What if they had studied both, would it be Sen-fu?
icon12.gif
[size=-1]gazuntheit!

[/size]How can it be so if there are other arts/foundations involved?
Then use the terms that best fir the largest core of things. Also, don't make light of the contribution of the core, and be damn certain you have it understood before doing so. Not understanding the real definition of certain terms will cause you problems later on.

Ok, the sign outside my school is "Rich's School of Defense Study".
Would that make the common wealth understand by passing it better than Rich's School of Karate or Rich's Karate School? Believe it or not, most of the Occidental common wealth associate Japanese/Chinese/Asian cultural terms to mean something. Any many do not fully understand the English term - "Martial Arts"
Then educate them. I can't recall the last time I found someone who did NOT know what "self defence", "personal protection" or "fighting techniques" meant. In the english speaking world, "teacher", "instructor" and "tutor" are pretty common.

What about college "Professor Smith". Why use "professor" or Dr Smith-why use Dr.?
Professor: [size=-1]The highest academic rank on a college or university faculty. In descending order, the other ranks are associate professor, assistant professor, and instructor.

Doctor: [/size][size=-1]Doctor means teacher in Latin. It has been used continuously as an honored academic title for over a millennium in Europe, where it dates back to the rise of the university. This use spread to the Americas, former European colonies, and is now prevalent in most of the world. However, in the last two centuries of popular use in English-speaking and many other countries, the noun doctor usually refers to a medical doctor or physician.

[/size]Why use any word to link skill, profession, exepreince? Why use Mr. or Miss. or Mrs.? In school, it is because they did not have Japanese/Chinese/Cultural influences like martial arts have.
I'll only say this 10,000 more times before I die....
Not all Martial Arts are Asian. Thats part of why our logo has both western and eastern aspects.

Why use any term? Respect. I call people Mr. or Ms. out of respect.
I don't call them "chan" or "san" because I'm not raised in that culture.
I'll call my non-asian instructor Mr.and not ad the honorific -san to his name.

The fact you were in a American school that did not have cultural links/interst to martial arts, may not use such wording. If I went to a American school and ask anyone what is Karate some would say it is Asian/Oriental Fighting. When I ask where did it come from, some may ot may not know. Terminology/wording is picked up scantly from sources, such as media. But using them in reference is wrong? Say such a school was teaching something culturely such as Spanish. No teachers or students would go around using the word terms even out of context?
Sure they would. But I would hope that once corrected by those who do know better, that they would improve.

Not insist that their misuse was acceptable.

Here is a thought, why do some Chinese call elder friends "uncle"?
Culture. Same reason why I call my grandfather "Pop-Pop" I supose. (He's my pops, pop, y'know? :D)

Latest Discussions