enlighten me on ki energy

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
ive heard about ki on the awesome tv show/adult cartoon dragonball, dragonballz, and dragonball gt but it wasnt until i saw this clip of Morihei Ueshiba that i realized it was a real thing.

yes i realize thats its not quite the same as in dragonball lol but how do you use this? how do you control it, manefest it, and use against a foe? i dont quite understand and since im also a wiccan we're supposed to be using our energy but im drawing blanks. i know that it isnt going to come to me over night and i also know that it takes practice, practice, and practice to get it but practice what exactly?

im curious as to how many people here have actually used there ki and had results.

Last edited by a moderator:

morph4me

Goin' with the flow
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
IMO ki is nothing more than the merging of timing, physics, and physiology. The best way I can tell you to practice is to learn to relax and use your arms and legs as an extension of your body, in other words, your arms and legs are not isolated limbs, everything happens from your center. You don't do a technique to someone, you move, connect, and the technique happens as a result.

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
thanks but wicca isnt a hokey religion unless u consider cathlictism, christianity,judiasm,hinduism,muslim,protasent,orthadox,etc as hokey religions as well. :rolleyes: lol a blaster would be good.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Qi - Energy

Strong Qi you are healthy
Weak Qi you are sick
No Qi you are dead

Life force, Qi is found in Taoism and other Chinese philosophies

The unimpeded circulation of chi and a balance of its negative and positive forms in the body are held to be essential to good health in traditional Chinese medicine.

Using Pinyin to spell

Qi (Chinese – Pinyin) = energy - physical life force.

Chi (Chinese – Pinyin) = “to eat” so if you are talking about energy this is spelled wrong

Ki (Japanese) = energy - physical life force.

And What Ueshiba Morihei is doing is VERY different than what the guy in the clip provided by Archangel M is doing. Ueshiba Morihei is staying relaxed and using an unimpeded circulation of Ki (Japanese) to stay healthy and feel his opponents force and use it against his opponent and this is accomplished by YEARS of training. What the guy in Archangel M's clip is doing is fake and he learned that the hard way.

There have been a lot of discusions on MT about this just use the search and you will find them

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
it, manefest it, and use against a foe? i dont quite understand and since im also a wiccan we're supposed to be using our energy but im drawing blanks. i know that it isnt going to come to me over night and i also know that it takes practice, practice, and practice to get it but practice what exactly?

im curious as to how many people here have actually used there ki and had results.
First thing is when dealing with Qi is to find out which type of Qi you are refering to. Earth Qi and Human Qi and Ghost Qi can differ among theories. How do you make it manifest in what content would be the correct question. In the magical aspect of using Qi one example is generating Qi from lower dan tian to middle dan tian (Huang ting= Yellow hall) and practicing breath mantras. The other question using Qi and results depends I suppose on what the person is trying to accomplish.

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
wow i didnt know there were different types but it turns out i dont know a lot about this anyway.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
If your looking for a book on it this is much like a textbook for Qigong but it does get into Qi

The Root of Chinese Qigong: Secrets of Health, Longevity, & nlightenment
by Yang Jwing-Ming

Empty Hands

Senior Master
Reaction score
thanks but wicca isnt a hokey religion unless u consider cathlictism, christianity,judiasm,hinduism,muslim,protasent,orthadox,etc as hokey religions as well. :rolleyes: lol a blaster would be good.

Yes actually. Although those other religions do have the advantage over Wicca in that they were not invented in the last 40 years, nor for the most part do they claim to be able to perform magic.

You do realize it was a Star Wars quote, right?

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yes actually. Although those other religions do have the advantage over Wicca in that they were not invented in the last 40 years, nor for the most part do they claim to be able to perform magic.

You do realize it was a Star Wars quote, right?

lol yes i do realize it was a stars wars quote. wicca itself is modern yes but its branches go far back.

im not going to go into this for this should turn into a separte thread

Baphomet

White Belt
Reaction score
Interesting thread, though rather misguided in my opinion. Ki (however you decide to spell it or say it) refers to one's life energy. The idea behind it is that Ki permeates every living being, and without it, you become lifeless. This may be, in some ways, related to metaphysical practice, though my experience has shown that magickal practice is used as a way to force an outcome on your environment in some way, shape, or form.

Despite the similarities, I sincerely doubt that Ki, from a martial artist's standpoint, is in any way related to one's mental energies. Granted, someone who works with thanatoic energies would likely disagree with me, but that is their own right. I have found that the same techniques used to strengthen one's mind can be applied to magickal practice, despite these differences.

Thus, I find that you will probably be unable to find much in the way of useful magickal information when looking into Ki, just as you would not be able to find useful information on Ki when researching magickal concepts, theories, etc.

SageGhost83

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Yarghh! And I thought Dillman was bad! From my understanding, Ki/Chi/Qi is an unseen force that permeates all things in the universe. I just simply refer to it as Soul Energy. Can it be summoned in a martial sense? I don't know, but I certainly don't think so - not like DBZ or god forbid a Ryu/Ken fireball attack. Perhaps you can screw around with it through meditation and chakra work, but I seriously doubt that you can use it in a combative sense. I won't say can't, because truth is often stranger than fiction, but I will definitely say doubt because it doesn't seem very probable. I accept and respect your religious preference, too. Merry meet!

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
Yarghh! And I thought Dillman was bad! From my understanding, Ki/Chi/Qi is an unseen force that permeates all things in the universe. I just simply refer to it as Soul Energy. Can it be summoned in a martial sense? I don't know, but I certainly don't think so - not like DBZ or god forbid a Ryu/Ken fireball attack. Perhaps you can screw around with it through meditation and chakra work, but I seriously doubt that you can use it in a combative sense. I won't say can't, because truth is often stranger than fiction, but I will definitely say doubt because it doesn't seem very probable. I accept and respect your religious preference, too. Merry meet!
lol thank you. and i really didn't think that a DBZ energy ball could be conjured but that's what brought the idea and therefore the question. thank you for your input and i appreciate the respect for the religious preference for that religion is still not commonly aspect as just that...a religion.:asian:

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Interesting thread, though rather misguided in my opinion. Ki (however you decide to spell it or say it) refers to one's life energy. The idea behind it is that Ki permeates every living being, and without it, you become lifeless. This may be, in some ways, related to metaphysical practice, though my experience has shown that magickal practice is used as a way to force an outcome on your environment in some way, shape, or form.
I do not see anything misguided on the defination of Qi. Qi only means one's energy if you are talking about Ren Qi other than that it simply energy.

Despite the similarities, I sincerely doubt that Ki, from a martial artist's standpoint, is in any way related to one's mental energies. Granted, someone who works with thanatoic energies would likely disagree with me, but that is their own right. I have found that the same techniques used to strengthen one's mind can be applied to magickal practice, despite these differences.
The Yi(intent) is in important part in cultivation in development in martial arts this can be seen in health benefits such as Eight pieces of silk or more martial such as Iron body.

Thus, I find that you will probably be unable to find much in the way of useful magickal information when looking into Ki, just as you would not be able to find useful information on Ki when researching magickal concepts, theories, etc.
If you look into the Shugendo sect you will find it. If you look into the Taoist sects such as Lung men or Maoshan you will find it.

As for the balls of Qi I have only seen the concept used for health and for magic I have yet to see anything as far as martial.

OP
Fiendlover

Fiendlover

Black Belt
Reaction score
I do not see anything misguided on the defination of Qi. Qi only means one's energy if you are talking about Ren Qi other than that it simply energy.

The Yi(intent) is in important part in cultivation in development in martial arts this can be seen in health benefits such as Eight pieces of silk or more martial such as Iron body.

If you look into the Shugendo sect you will find it. If you look into the Taoist sects such as Lung men or Maoshan you will find it.

As for the balls of Qi I have only seen the concept used for health and for magic I have yet to see anything as far as martial.
Thank you. :)

Latest Discussions