Energy Flow

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
After he tagged me several times in the head, and watching him tag others, I finaly figured out what he does differently from most. Most fighters have the "Toes Pointed" kicking with the instep for the roundhouse. He keeps the ankle flexed at 90 degrees which allows him to reach around with the tip of the foot gear and still make contact.

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Would any use in a TKD bout? Would that be a point kick?

You see it a lot in TKD matches, though it's not usually a point kick. It tends to be used more in a combo to lead into another kick, or to feel out the opponent or distract them or whatever.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see it a lot in TKD matches, though it's not usually a point kick. It tends to be used more in a combo to lead into another kick, or to feel out the opponent or distract them or whatever.

Cool and thanks, that has given me a bit more information and understanding.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Would any use in a TKD bout? Would that be a point kick? I missed all the action from the Commonwealth Games, which I imagine would have a big deal for many. Cat2 I believe.

It's used the same way the lead hand jab is used. It's not really a knockout strike, but it's still useful.

skribs

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This video might help you understand how to do a round kick better, if you're having trouble.

There's a lot of detail in this thread about how to do it, but if you relax your shoulders, pivot your bottom foot, and position your kicking foot correctly, your body will naturally come into alignment.

OP
Transk53

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This video might help you understand how to do a round kick better, if you're having trouble.

There's a lot of detail in this thread about how to do it, but if you relax your shoulders, pivot your bottom foot, and position your kicking foot correctly, your body will naturally come into alignment.

I was merely curious over the action. That Ginger Ninja though, is quite amazing!