Earned my Uechi Ryu - Shodan (black belt) on Sunday.

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I just wanted to brag a little. I earned my black belt this weekend. It was an awesome experience. My partner and I tested and passed with high praise from a senior rank promotion test board. My jaw was tested during the final sparring portion of the exam. It held up but opening my mouth has been a chore the last 2 days. I also fractured my hand a week out from the test helping youth prepare for the exam. I ended up taping it up and just gutting it out. Everything went well. It was really all a blur as it happened. I feel like I should have been breathing more but I get very nervous during tests no matter how prepared I feel.

ANYWAY, Thanks for listening guys and gals.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Another "man of the cloth" on our forum. These are exciting times!

Congrats, bro.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
Congrats...where are you located? Who was on the board?
What part did you find the hardest?

OP
Human Makiwara

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Northern VA. Is were I train.

My 3 judges were 7th degree Master Nestor Folta, 5th degree Sensei Tony Williams and 8th degree Master Bill Glasheen.

I found the busted hand to be the hardest part really. Having to do a fair amount of hand fighting in Dan Kumite, I was worried about further injuring it. Kata is never a problem and we had run through the bunkai and Dan so many times its like second nature.

hoshin1600

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know Nestor and Bill. My old dojo is close to Nestor parents house. He stopped by to say hi once, and would see him and Bill at the summer camps. I don't know Tony williams, at least by name maybe I would know him by sight.

OP
Human Makiwara

Human Makiwara

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Folta Sensei is my instructor. He's great. I've really enjoyed my time with him.

Kong Soo Do

IKSDA Director
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very big congrats on your successful test. Getting wailed on during Sanchin is always fun too :)