e-hogus and punching

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as a brief introduction, I did TKD through college, spent the past six years dabbling in Shotokan karate and Yang taijiquan, and may return to TKD in the near future.

My question is this: could e-hogus increase the frequency of body-punching instead of clinching in WTF TKD?

My understanding is that there are two types of e-hogus out there right one: one that measures solely force, and one which requires a special "sock" to complete a circuit. With the e-hogu that just measures force, it seems like it would be easy to get extra points by throwing close-range body shots instead of clinching (edit: provided you punch hard enough)--body shots that essentially no judges would have given points for before (even though they're legal).

As for the e-hogu that requires the special socks...do you also wear special gloves with the same point-registering material on the knuckles?

mango.man

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
If you watch the dartfish videos from the recent World Championships, you will find that on many ocassions, fights were stopped to award points for punches.

This is because, as of right now at least, Lajust does not have a glove that is ready for prime time with the sensors on it.

I have heard from those that have used the Addidas system, which is a force only alternative to Lajust, that the frequency of punching does increase when that gear is used.

OP
M

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If you watch the dartfish videos from the recent World Championships, you will find that on many ocassions, fights were stopped to award points for punches.

This is because, as of right now at least, Lajust does not have a glove that is ready for prime time with the sensors on it.

I have heard from those that have used the Addidas system, which is a force only alternative to Lajust, that the frequency of punching does increase when that gear is used.

Thanks, I'll check out the videos on dartfish. I had watched some of the videos on usa-taekwondo.us and hadn't seen much of any punching. Glad to hear that's not universal.

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
With the new hogus there is a chance that punches will score at all? for me is clear that if you use the socks and kick in the right spot with the right force you will score a point, but it's almost very dificul to score with the hand. I think if there were a chance to score a point with the hands the clinches will be less and the punches will be more.

Manny

Archtkd

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
The questions of punches came up in one of the training sessions at the Kukkiwon master certification/licencing course in Chicago last month. Master Bruce Harris, one of the best WTF international referees out there, was making a presentation and this is what he said about punches in WTF style sparring: The only punches that count are straight punches that hit the legal target area with force and hands fully extended. That means short punches don’t score, neither do hooks or uppercuts – the type of punches many people try to throw in clinches. The rationale for this, Master Harris, explained, is that the WTF does not want to turn Taekwondo into something similar to boxing.

What Master Harris said, also indirectly might mean that the WTF is not in any hurry to adopt electronic sensor gloves – for the purpose of scoring punches. If I recall, weren't there complaints about some “impact-only” hogus that are known to register points for illegal close quarter palm-heel and knee strikes.?

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
If sport tkd wants to allow only clean kicks to the hogu and this is the trade mark of sport WTF TKD so it could be unique and highly recognized as TKD then the LAJUST e-hogu and e-socks are fine, that's the name of the game score POINTS with kicks only. I will only ad to this e-equipment an e-helmet so this helmet can register the kicks to the head.

I think inside the dojang the professor and pupils can use what puches and kicks to score if they want to.

There is a young couple from Arkansas in my TKD class they are from this TKD dojang http://gmhyounwha.com/grandmaster_han they still use palgwe forms and the way they do kyorugi is using kicks,punches and blocks I really enjoy to see them doing kyorugi.

Manny

OP
M

Mitlov

Purple Belt
Reaction score
If sport tkd wants to allow only clean kicks to the hogu and this is the trade mark of sport WTF TKD so it could be unique and highly recognized as TKD then the LAJUST e-hogu and e-socks are fine, that's the name of the game score POINTS with kicks only. I will only ad to this e-equipment an e-helmet so this helmet can register the kicks to the head.

If that's what they want, that's fine, but have the rules say that. My problem is when the rules say you can get points with both punches and kicks, but the method of recording points (e-hogu with special socks but no special gloves) only recognizes the latter.

I agree on the e-helmet. 100%.

I like electronic scoring...I used to fence and electronic scoring did great things for consistency and accuracy of awarding points in competition. I just think the system needs to be set up so that ALL techniques which should score points are recorded electronically. I don't like a system where some techniques are scored electronically (kicks to the body) but some are scored in the old-fashioned way (kicks to the head and punches to the body). I think scoring some techniques electronically and some traditionally will discourage the use of the traditionally-scored techniques. I think the only way one technique should be encouraged over another is by awarding more points for the preferable technique (i.e., head kicks).

goingd

Purple Belt
Reaction score
In my experience I have seen too many good punches not scored. I certainly hope it brings punching more into play in the future.

zDom

Senior Master
Reaction score
The rationale for this, Master Harris, explained, is that the WTF does not want to turn Taekwondo into something similar to boxing. ?

Right: cause what we have now (competitors rubbing their chests together while their arms dangle at their sides) is MUCH better than TKD looking like boxing.

/end sarcasm

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
That's odd...I saw two punches score in my section at nationals and I knocked a guy on his butt with a punch in my match.....

I was wearing a hogu at the time.

but you weren't there to see it :(

Ah well.

:D

Peace,
Erik

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to use hands in kyorugi, in short range I use hands when I have a clean shot, and even I know that maybe that punch will not score I use it anyway cause I like to use hands and feet. I am not a competitor fighter, so that's why I use hands but if I was a competitor fighter I will use only feet cause that's the way to score more points, remeber it's just a game.

I can say I am a traditionalist who likes to train the old way.

Manny