What is the success with TKD

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want you to explain what is the sucess in TKD? I mean why TKD is so sucessfull in the world.

Manny

dancingalone

Grandmaster
Reaction score
This comes up a few times each year.

My opinion:

1) flashy kicks that conform to the expectation of what a martial art is

2) TKD was organized early in its history and successive waves of instructors were sent around the world to spread and teach the system under General Choi

3) strong sport competition component whether point-based or Olympic

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The father of a 12-year-old black belt at my doctor's office said this to me - no joke:

"Take Kwon Do is pretty easy, really. If my 12-year-old can get a black belt in it, then anybody could, really."

Straight legs, fast promotion, international recognition. What quick-fixer wouldn't want it?

Earl Weiss

Senior Master
Reaction score
This comes up a few times each year.

My opinion:

1) flashy kicks that conform to the expectation of what a martial art is

2) TKD was organized early in its history and successive waves of instructors were sent around the world to spread and teach the system under General Choi

3) strong sport competition component whether point-based or Olympic

Pretty much the same thoughts except I would add that General Choi was succesful due to government backing, and with the same resources the WTF / Kukkiwon picked up where General Choi left off but also instituted system of inclusiveness where everyone could assemble under one banner and later convert them to a single system.

d1jinx

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
one of the things that I have always found appealing was:

No matter where i go in the world, there is a semi standard way things are done. Reguardless of forms or style of sparring, the kicks and techniques are very similiar.

Taekwondo has always had the fastest, hardest hitting kicks. Down to the way we chamber our kicks and deliver. sure there are variations amungst the different styles of TKD, but the foundation seems to always be the same. WORLDWIDE

The other arts I have "observed" seem to have very different variations and systems and philosophies. some specific to a region, others specific to a master or teacher. no real organized system that can be easily found outside of their area.

Not saying there is anything wrong with it, but that has been the appeal to me....

AND THE AWESOME KICKS.

pmosiun1

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I agree, tae kwon do is pretty standardizes throughout the world, not so like other martial art such as muay thai in thailand, europe, brazil and america that has obvious differences.

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Can't speak for the growth of TKD around the world, but at least here in the US a big part of the popularity is because Jhoon Rhee was freaking brilliant!

At a time when the dojo wars were going on and MA training being something done primarily by young men, Rhee was in Washington teaching TKD to elected officials, having their students appear at public festivals, and accommodating a more diverse student base. That made for a heckuva foundation for the art to grow.

[yt]n7PEMGuA6tw[/yt]

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I want you to explain what is the sucess in TKD? I mean why TKD is so sucessfull in the world.

If you mean sucsessful by comercialization it happened because it has been done pretty much at all costs.

Latest Discussions