what do you feel when.............

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
What do you feel when step in the mat wearing that white clean ironed uniform (dobok or gi) with your black belt tied at your waist??

Personally I feel pride, I bow in a very martial way ask pemition to get inside the mat and then.... walk straight, with the head pretty tall and feeling so well.....

I love to wear the uniform and belt, they give me sense of a warrior and this is seen for everyone, I really respect all the TKD customs and etiquete.

Manny

theletch1

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I feel the same in uniform as I do when I step in wearing my street clothes for a street clothes training day. I'm at home in the dojo and I feel comfortable. The first few times I walked in as a black belt was cool. After that the new wore off and I got down to the basics of training again.

sfs982000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel the same in uniform as I do when I step in wearing my street clothes for a street clothes training day. I'm at home in the dojo and I feel comfortable. The first few times I walked in as a black belt was cool. After that the new wore off and I got down to the basics of training again.

Agreed have pride in your uniform and the rank that you earned, but have even more pride in the training that you recieve.

Quest

White Belt
Reaction score
For me, there is a difference wearing street clothes and wearing my dobok. I equate it to wearing jeans and a t-shirt to wearing a suit and tie. I stand a little straighter and sit a little taller. Its the aura of my attire.

LuckyKBoxer

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I feel tied to tradition is what i feel.
It is a silly outfit and outdated way of showing respect and hierarchy.
I feel much prouder when students stop me away from class and treat me with respect and ask the hard questions, or when my fellow black belts in different arts recognize and seek me out, or other similar examples that have nothing to do with a costume that went out of style hundreds of years ago....do i still wear it? Yes...am i proud simply because of it? No..
my priorities work a bit differently then that.

OP
Manny

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well for me wearing a clean ironed gi or dobok is a very importante thing inside a dojo, why? it's simple, it reflects uniformity,order,and martility. When I walk inside a dojo/ang and see people learning or training in street clothes no matter they are sport clothes, I don't like it. Seeing people wearing shorts with people wearing sport long pants, and somebody just wearing dirty sleveless tshirts really desapoit me.

The dojo/dojang is a place were uniformity,order and respect must be take seriusly. Sorry folks but maybe for ones I will be square or ld fashion but loosing the traditions in MA is not for me.

Manny

Cirdan

Senior Master
Reaction score
I do of course keep my gi clean and wear it acoording to the Dojo rules. However other than being our uniform and functional clothes for training it does not make me feel anything special. I will wear out this gi in a year or so and when it breaks I will get a new one. What matters is what we train, how we train and who we train with.

StudentCarl

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
(My belt is green, not black.)

As a junior (to others), I feel excited yet humble because of the training I will receive from instructors I greatly respect.

As one senior to (a few) others, I feel like a proud member of a team and school, and help those junior to me when asked. I want all my actions to make my team and school better.

TKDHomeSchooler

Green Belt
Reaction score
As a green belt who started studying at the age of 35, I feel a sense of accomplishment. I don't know too many people who will start something like MA training at that age, especially one who can make an excuse fo rany sort of laziness like me.

I know many people say that obtaining the 1st Dan is not all it is cracked up to be, but to me a 50+ hour a week professional who is also a Father of 5, it is taking dedication to get my butt in class and to train outside of class. So for me, it will be an accomplishment that I will wear proudly.

Latest Discussions