Duck Feet

Rafe Dent

White Belt
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I've been a fan of martial arts since I was a kid. I never got a chance to learn as a kid since I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm in my early thirties and living in a major city. I'm not a natural athlete but over the last few months I've been working on getting into shape. Now that I'm getting healthier I started doing research into various martial arts and I've come across what might be an issue. My parents didn't catch I needed leg braces as a kid and now my feet point naturally at an outward 45 degree angle. For my feet to point straight I have to turn them and I feel a pull in my muscles. Will this make it impossible for me to properly train in martial arts?

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Of course not. If duck feet is the worst thing wrong with you, you're doing just fine. I'm quite confident there are a number of people here who would be absolutely thrilled to have nothing worse than duck feet to compensate for....

We all have issues. We all have limits. Go get started.

OP
R

Rafe Dent

White Belt
Reaction score
I also have a really high center of gravity but other than that I think I'm good haha. It's good to know it won't hamper footwork or anything else. Thanks.

Razznik

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Do leg braces still work in your age? If not, I wouldn't recommend MMA or taekwondo because in MMA you always jump around (I don't really get it XD) and there is a lot of kicking going on in Taekwondo. I would recommend Muay Thai (if you can stand the pain) or judo...

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Rafe! Hope you stick around :)

I've had duck feet all my life (my right foot is bad, massive angle!), trained in full contact karate for close to a decade, no troubles.

I even asked my physio whether having duck feet is an issue and he said nope. It's something I'd always wondered about too, so I hope others chime in, but so far the consensus I've heard is no it's not an issue. There is however always incremental work we can do to improve joints, tendon strength, mobility and general strengthening of the area.

Go have fun brother :)

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also have a really high center of gravity but other than that I think I'm good haha. It's good to know it won't hamper footwork or anything else. Thanks.
the duck feet probably compensate for the high centre of gravity, it sounds like your good to go

it depends what out of line i supose, but there is a fair chance you can reduce it by conciously walking with your feet turned in a bit

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome to Martial Talk, Rafe. :)

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hey Guys! I've been a fan of martial arts since I was a kid. I never got a chance to learn as a kid since I grew up in the middle of nowhere. Now I'm in my early thirties and living in a major city. I'm not a natural athlete but over the last few months I've been working on getting into shape. Now that I'm getting healthier I started doing research into various martial arts and I've come across what might be an issue. My parents didn't catch I needed leg braces as a kid and now my feet point naturally at an outward 45 degree angle. For my feet to point straight I have to turn them and I feel a pull in my muscles. Will this make it impossible for me to properly train in martial arts?
Welcome to the forum Rafe.
Dirty Dog said it best; just get started.
Honestly, it sounds like one of those excuses we have all made to justify our apprehension about something. No matter where you train there will be people working out that have equal or greater physical challenges. Most have figured out how to shed the crutch and just enjoy working out. Will you have to modify some of the things you do? Possibly. Is that a big deal? Not at all.
Best of luck and let us know how it goes.

Latest Discussions