Dragons do well at PA Governor's Cup event

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I just gotta brag s a coach and a Dad. Yesterday, (9/21/08) we took our competition team (AFMAC Dragons) to compete in our fisrt event of the season. It's a smallish event, but a good chance to knock of some ring rust and evaluate where our kids are at. We brought four competitors (My son Zak, My duaghter Rhiannon, Kevin (his first ever competitio) and Will). I have to say that the whole team really performed well. We had a great time and I left there feeling pretty proud to be a coach and parent of such fine young athletes.

Kevin was really nervous. He's been ducking competitions becuae he's afraind of gettingknocked out (even though at his age and rank there's no head contact...go figure). His first event was breaking. He boldy changed up his breaks en route to the competition as he didn't feel secure with what he originally planned to do. this turned out to be a wise move as he nailed his first two breaks on the first and needed a a second shot at his first break. the other kids in his group did not complete 3 breaks...kevin won gold. His next event was forms. He blasted through Taeguk yuk jang. he had power, he knew the moves, but he just went too fast. he was edged out by another competitor and won silver. He has learned the valuable lesson that adrenaline=speed and speed kills in forms :) Finally, in sparring, his dreaded event....kevin fought like a champ. At 7 years old he is one of our youngest and smallest member and typically is having to fight bigger stronger kids in practice. He seemed almost shocked to find that facing someone his age and size was an easier taqsk than practice. As a result he edged out a solid win for a gold medal and, more importantly overcame his fear. it was great seeing him smiling all day at the competition.

Will also had a good day. he was in the alrgest cadre of competitors and Thus had MUCH more competition than anyone else that day. He got a silver in breaking but I personally think he was robberd. He made all of his breaks, though he needed a second shot at his combo break. The chidl that won gold tried to break larger boards but flat out missed two of his break (failed on three tries each), but somehow scored slightly higher. Ah well, breaking is such a subjective event. Will's power and control were spot on. In forms Will won gold with a solid performance taeguk Sah jang. He's got bueatiful long stances and nice strong kicks. during sparring is where I was most impressed. His speed and gracefulness in the ring have really improved. He showed great ring generalship, pretty much dictating where the fight was taking place. Unfortuantely, hwe was edged out by a point when his opponenet scored on a quick flurry at the end of the last round. Will garnered a silver. it really satisfying seeing how much his sparring has matured in the past year. Instead of just throughing a constant flurry of kicks, he's utlilizing great motion and really setting up and picking his shots.

My kids Zak and Rhiannon made me a proud pop. We skipped breajking (no time to prepare them this week sadly). In Forms, Zak was the only competitor in hsi group. He did Koryo and showed real intensity and power. i still want to see him slow down a bit and relax some (show relaxed power), but he got through the whole form when all this week he kept having "brain farts" and getting lost in the middle. The fact that he nailed every move with power and confidence was great to see. he can only get better as the season progresses. In sparring, Zak had an exhibition with a larger 1st gup competitor. now, for years, Zak has had a problem with commiting to attacks, failing to throw combos, and being too enamoured with fancy spinning kicks. This time he did things differently. He dropped the spinning kick attempts midway through the first round (when they weren't landing). He finally started dropping bombs. Literally, it sounded like shotgun blasts going off when he hit this kids hogu. In fact, after the match, his WHITE foot gear had red on it from knocking the color of his opponenets hogu. After the first round, it was clear that his opponent had had enopugh...but the fight went the distance, ending 7-5. it was good to see Zak showing his power, adjusting his game (siomplifying things and sticking with bread and buttere kicks) and scoring a majority of his points of of counters. It's like years of coaching FINALLY clicked for him. He won 2 golds...but was more excited that a girl gave him her number. To quote our head coach "well, you can get tired of winning medals."

My daughter Rhiannon, had a rough time in forms. She seemed to have caught her older brother's brain fart. In the middle of Taeguk Yuk Jang, she forgot a move. However, she did what I've always taught her which was keep moving and get back on track. She finished the form strong, at a good pace. Her ability to hold her kicks out for a beat is getting better. None of the parents noticed her bobble. This was lesson for her in grace under pressure. As she was alone in her division she still picked up a gold and some respectable scores. In sparring, she faced a fast agressive opponent who like to charge in thrwing flurries of kicks. At first this had Rhiannon on the defensive, but she again proved she's a coached dream. She lsitened to my coaching from the chair and started utlizing her sidesteps and her cut kick/rounhouse combo to avoid/stop the charges and score. Her opponent had problem's with Rhiannon's power. However, the match ended at 5-4 after two rounds, Rhiannon lost...but with a third round I think she would have taken it. This netted her a silver medal. It's such a gift to coach someone who can take direction :)

Thanks to all the coahces and kids who made yesterday such a great event. Thanks to all of you for reading

Peace,
Erik

Latest Discussions