Trouble with sparring too

Manny

Senior Master
Reaction score
Well I have cross feelings in parring, my classmates are teens, I have two o three boys that are big, however been my self bigger (weight) and with a high rank don't wana hurt them because I don't wana hear: Jezz Mr. Manny use his adavantaje to kick Jhon Doe ***, however this kids can kick and kick hard and they have better stamina than I, in the other hand if I don't fight right they can kick my *** too and all the students can think: Mr. manny is not good enough or that I don't deserve to be a black belt.

So if I kick them hard I'm a bad guy who take adavantage of his age/high rank grade and.... if I just block or dodge I will caught with good kiks, what can I do I don't wana hurt my clasemates, but don't wana ve a bozo.

Manny

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Manny being in the same boat as you we can only do what is best for our students and remember when things happen from time to time is asure them that if this was for real they would be hurt. By pointing out there opening and helping them get better.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Control should be the name of the game in sparring. As a higher rank, you should be able to pinpoint the openings of your opponent and attack without causing serious injury or even hurting your opponent. Control is just as important in sparring applications as it is in SD applications and full-contact scenerios.

Just practice not kicking so hard, but still kick accurately.

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
I sympathize. However, don't take it so personally. Sparring is nto only about control...for me at least, it's about shedding ego.

If I'm sparring a teen whose got the speed and stamina and I have the size. I use that. He needs to learn hwo to fight up. I need to learn how to hit a fast moving target, conserve energy and not necessarily paste the kid to the back wall with a power shot.

We both learn. In the end, no matter who I'm fighting...it's never a perfect match. If I walk away feeling I did awesome..I'm missing something in my analysis of my performance.

Just tkae the matches as they come. SHowe control where apporpriate. don't worry about what others think and focsu on learning what you can from your opponenet.

Peace,
Erik

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm going to give you the instructor's point of view, as you're a black belt and black belts have some instructional responsibility.

In kendo, when instructing a low ranking student, I leave them some openings and pace it so that they can try out techniques and feel like they're accomplishing something. After a little bit, I step up and take a few points just to remind them that that second dan black belt I wear aint just for decoration.

Then I step down to somewhere in between, which generally brings out their best; they know that they can execute the technique and when I step it down a half step, they have an attitude that they need to defend.

I praise each correct block, strike, or exceptionally well done technique. I correct them as we spar, usually addressing their biggest failing and one or two minor failings. Thats usually all that a beginner can handle.

With intermediate students, I tend to maintain the intermediate pace (my step down pace) the whole match and let the pieces fall where they may. Older teens and anyone above blue belt I really don't coddle a whole lot. They're as big as most of the adults and have the vigor of youth. At blue and up, they've been around long enough to understand what it means to step into the ring with a second dan blackbelt. Generally, they're disappointed if they think I've gone easy on them.

So to bring that back to you, Manny, make it a positive for both of you. You have the maturity and the strength to dominate the match and you're a strong opponent. For large teens who hit hard, remind them of that fact. And when its all over, thank them and tell them that they did well. Generally, the big teens are competative and on some level, relish the thought that they can hold their own with the big guy.

Lastly, if they whine, remind them that they're learning to fight, not to dance. You get bumped, banged and bruised in a fighting class. Occasionally in Taekwondo, the large teens will deliver hard kicks, miss the hogu, and then ask if I'm alright. I always tell them that I volunteer to let another fighter punch at and kick at, and in kendo, swing a stick at me. Bruises and bumps are a logical consequence thereof.:)

Daniel

Nolerama

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Leave your ego at the door. Ask the students to do the same.

Having a black belt doesn't make you invincible. It just ties down your gi and goes well with dress shoes.

Have fun with it and look at it from your students' perspective: if they score one on the teacher, then that's a victory for them, right? It shows they're using the skills taught by you. Well, it's also a learning experience for you as an instructor. If you out muscle the kiddos maybe you should start looking into finessing your own technique.

Then again, I'm no TKD guy. But I've seen this kind of situation in everything from the MAs, photography, writing, and music. The older "more experienced" individual getting a tad bit threatened by his/her students. It happens everywhere, I guess...