Nationals 2012

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
About to leave this years usat nc in dallas. Competitors had a good time and we won several gold, silver and bronze medals. Competition was fierce and all in attendance were well prepared. The only complaint I had was that there seemed to be a general lack of respect.
If any readers were there you saw me, the only 5th dan who volunteered, on Thursday. Attempting to clear the rail(barrier) so that spectators in the stands could see their loved ones compete. I was polite to all and never raised my tone. I never touched or pushed anyone as that is rude and unprofessional. Yet the general attitude was that they did not care. For 10 hours i Circled the room and a kind of wave effect took place. They would move away until I was just out of sight and then return. More tan 100 competitors and coaches snuck on to the floor to get a better view and argued when asked to leave. The most common response I heard was " well they are on the floor too" or " what about those guys over there? You didn't ask them to leave." Most just smiled and walked off.
I was cursed at, almost spit on and even asked to step outside(by a angry coach who had no credentials but was still on the floor). I continued my VOLUNTEER job because I do not believe that grandparents should have to stand on the upper most bleacher seat to get an obstructed view of their grandchild competing.
At the end of the day a 70 year old woman came and hugged me. She said that she got to see her great grandsons final match, which he lost, because I moved those in front of her. She did not get to see him in his other events but was thankfull to see just one. It made it all worth it.
Note to all masters, instructors and the parents at the event:
Make sure that you take into consideration that everyone wants to watch. Be respectfull to others and they will treat you the same. If you are at fault don't Point out others mistakes, correct your own.
Finally, to the woman who cursed at me and said that I was being rude and unfair the 6th time she was asked to leave the rail: I hope that your children did well in the event and continue to become national champions. May their instructors teach them to be kind, respectfull members of society and the tkd community.

Gorilla

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I have done that job is thankless and frustrating

About to leave this years usat nc in dallas. Competitors had a good time and we won several gold, silver and bronze medals. Competition was fierce and all in attendance were well prepared. The only complaint I had was that there seemed to be a general lack of respect.
If any readers were there you saw me, the only 5th dan who volunteered, on Thursday. Attempting to clear the rail(barrier) so that spectators in the stands could see their loved ones compete. I was polite to all and never raised my tone. I never touched or pushed anyone as that is rude and unprofessional. Yet the general attitude was that they did not care. For 10 hours i Circled the room and a kind of wave effect took place. They would move away until I was just out of sight and then return. More tan 100 competitors and coaches snuck on to the floor to get a better view and argued when asked to leave. The most common response I heard was " well they are on the floor too" or " what about those guys over there? You didn't ask them to leave." Most just smiled and walked off.
I was cursed at, almost spit on and even asked to step outside(by a angry coach who had no credentials but was still on the floor). I continued my VOLUNTEER job because I do not believe that grandparents should have to stand on the upper most bleacher seat to get an obstructed view of their grandchild competing.
At the end of the day a 70 year old woman came and hugged me. She said that she got to see her great grandsons final match, which he lost, because I moved those in front of her. She did not get to see him in his other events but was thankfull to see just one. It made it all worth it.
Note to all masters, instructors and the parents at the event:
Make sure that you take into consideration that everyone wants to watch. Be respectfull to others and they will treat you the same. If you are at fault don't Point out others mistakes, correct your own.
Finally, to the woman who cursed at me and said that I was being rude and unfair the 6th time she was asked to leave the rail: I hope that your children did well in the event and continue to become national champions. May their instructors teach them to be kind, respectfull members of society and the tkd community.

Latest Discussions