Double circular palms - a bridge between the striking art and the throwing art

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
By using the "double circular palms", your

- left hand can control on your opponent's leading arm elbow joint.
- right hand can control on the back of your opponent's neck (throat, or side of the face).

From there, you can use foot sweep, shin bite, scoop, scoop kick, Knee seize, ankle pick, slant cut, front cut, outer hook, .... You can also just use the wheeling step to lead your opponent into the emptiness.

IMO, the "double circular palms" can be a powerful link between the striking art and the throwing art. It also serve as an effective "guard opener".

Your thought?

PM-Mo-Pan-Shou-2.gif

Example of use "wheeling step neck wiping" to lead your opponent into the emptiness.

neck-wiping.gif

oftheherd11

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
I like it.

I was taught a move as a strike defense, where we would step to the opponent's left from his strike, turning our side nearly next to his. We would deflect his arm with a palm strike with our left hand for a right hand strike, and grab his arm hard enough to control it but easy enough to allow us to slide our hand down his a arm, allowing his thumb to stop our downward slide at the heel of his hand. We would then tighten our grip and turn his arm/wrist back around and apply whatever wrist lock seem most appropriate/fun

In your video is he also applying pressure to an inner arm pressure point for control?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That is what is/was called a wheel strike when I trained Kali. The idea is to walk up the leading arm to strike. Very effective with a reverse grip on a blade.
I have also seen it called a walking strike or slice.

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In your video is he also applying pressure to an inner arm pressure point for control?
You can put your left thumb to press on top of your opponent's leading arm pressure point (1 inch about elbow joint and between dark skin and light skin). This can cause some pain on your opponent's arm.

arm-pressure-point.png

It is interested to notice that when one uses double circular palms, the

- striker (1st clip) will put his 2nd palm "on top of" the opponent's elbow joint. This way he can "push his opponent's leading arm away" and then punch on his opponent's face.
- wrestler (2nd clip) will put his 2nd palm "below" the opponent's elbow joint. This way he can "pull his opponent's leading arm forward" and apply his throw.

In both cases, his opponent's back arm is jammed by the leading arm.

From a pure striking point of view, the double circular palms is a good method to open your opponent's guard that give you a safe entry.

Mo-Pan-Shou-punch.gif

Last edited:
OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Mo-Pan-Shou-punch.gif

After double circular palms, if you throw a punch to your opponent's face, your opponent may block with his left hand. You can then move your left hand on his left wrist, and move your right hand on his elbow.

This "5 circular palm strikes" can be seen in this 8 moves combo (the initial 5 moves).

my-PM-speed.gif

When you have obtained a control on your opponent's back arm, you can apply "foot sweep" to take your opponent down effortless - pull your opponent's back arm to your left, sweep his leading leg to your right.

waist-chop.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Discussions