Doshinkan

• Thread starter Deleted member 34973
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 34973

There is a school located about 15 miles from me. Does anyone know anything about this system. Online info is pretty scarce.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Yup...same here. Although it tells you about it doesnt go into to much detail.
Really I think it tells you plenty it tells you they do kata, striking self defence, grappling, throwing and break falls and weapons training. There's even a section that tells you in detail about their different training types

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Really I think it tells you plenty it tells you they do kata, striking self defence, grappling, throwing and break falls and weapons training. There's even a section that tells you in detail about their different training types
Sure, but which Katas, every place pretty much tells you the same thing, the difference is that you can look up what it is they actually do. Doshinkan not so much. But, really I am asking if anyone has personal experience...next time, I will make myself a lil clearer.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure, but which Katas, every place pretty much tells you the same thing, the difference is that you can look up what it is they actually do. Doshinkan not so much. But, really I am asking if anyone has personal experience...next time, I will make myself a lil clearer.

What difference does it make? If they say they do the XXXXXX katas, unless you already know them, it won't really mean much.
Best bet is simply to go to the school and watch a couple classes.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Nevermind, I just looked at an earlier post and the guy pretty much got the same answer.

It would seem that no one on martial talk has any clue xoncerning it..

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

And the statement " go try a class" has been beat to death on martial talk. Kind of starting wonder what this site is good for...if the only response is "try a class" that statement my friends...is simply played out. Contrary to popular belief...some people like to know what they are walking into.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
And the statement " go try a class" has been beat to death on martial talk. Kind of starting wonder what this site is good for...if the only response is "try a class" that statement my friends...is simply played out. Contrary to popular belief...some people like to know what they are walking into.

If I told you it's The Worlds Best Uber Special Super Ninja Dim Mak 100% Bestest School in the Entire Universe, how would that change anything? You still wouldn't know anything about the school, the specific instructors, or if it's a good "fit" for you. All you'd know is that I like it. You still wouldn't know what you're walking in to.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

If I told you it's The Worlds Best Uber Special Super Ninja Dim Mak 100% Bestest School in the Entire Universe, how would that change anything? You still wouldn't know anything about the school, the specific instructors, or if it's a good "fit" for you. All you'd know is that I like it. You still wouldn't know what you're walking in to.
Except with a lot more info enabling me to know what to expect.

Kind of how you research a car before the test drive. At least that is what I do. Research first..experience next.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Not really the way to learn what to teach Is to go to class if they post everything they do online people won't go

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Not really the way to learn what to teach Is to go to class if they post everything they do online people won't go
blackbeltwiki.com is a great source for info. Just about every major system can be found on it. Although it is nit complete systems...you can get an idea of what is being taught. Type in Doshinkan and there is nothing. Not even on bbw.com. Although I agree partially with your statement concerning the fact you will not find everything about a particular system, you will find quite a bit.

Hence, after exhausting my resources, I come here to Martial Talk to try and find someone who might have knowledge of a topic I cant find on the net.

Which, in this day and age, most people do. Martial Talk is not needed for general information concerning the martial arts. Its needed for info concerning a subject you cant find on the internet.

At least, that is what I use it for. Other people may be different. Me, I am looking for a person who might have knowledge that cant be found on the net.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Martial talk....it's in the name. To talk about martial arts. Of course we'll all give help to beginners but its not just for that honestly to you my word should mean nothing when it come to picking a style neither should anyone's. we all have our opinion on what's good and what's not but it's down to /you/ to step up and make the choice yourself if I tell you the styles garbage and someone else tells you it's the best thing ever who will you believe then what will you do. It's about your interests and needs not ours

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Kind of how you research a car before the test drive. At least that is what I do. Research first..experience next.
For cars, when you have a million different cars that all have things you wont notice in a test drive, that works. In martial arts, you have a lot less choices, and most of what the style focuses on is visible in the first few classes. You also know what you're going to get with a car, whether the car is being sold in Alaska or New York. With Martial arts, that isn't true in the slightest.

So yes, try a class...There is a reason it is the most used phrase in response to these threads, outside of the very basics (ie: striking versus grappling), it is the most important advice.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Martial talk....it's in the name. To talk about martial arts. Of course we'll all give help to beginners but its not just for that honestly to you my word should mean nothing when it come to picking a style neither should anyone's. we all have our opinion on what's good and what's not but it's down to /you/ to step up and make the choice yourself if I tell you the styles garbage and someone else tells you it's the best thing ever who will you believe then what will you do. It's about your interests and needs not ours
That would meen Martial talk is a waste of time for advice.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

For cars, when you have a million different cars that all have things you wont notice in a test drive, that works. In martial arts, you have a lot less choices, and most of what the style focuses on is visible in the first few classes. You also know what you're going to get with a car, whether the car is being sold in Alaska or New York. With Martial arts, that isn't true in the slightest.

So yes, try a class...There is a reason it is the most used phrase in response to these threads, outside of the very basics (ie: striking versus grappling), it is the most important advice.
I disagree. It is always better to have info ahead of time concerning ANY subject.

Chance favors the prepared mind. IMO

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you want to believe that fine that's your choice. Us saying take a class is the best advice you're going to get there's no one here to spoon feed you all the answers friend I've shown you a website about the system that's the best you can get even if there's a 5th dan black belt in the system even their advice won't mean anything because the school in your area might suck so it's no good for you. You want to know if a schools any good? Well go to the school and find out there's literally nothing else we can tell you that will help your decision you know what the style is and what it does now you just need to find out if it's right for you and there's only one way to do that

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I disagree. It is always better to have info ahead of time concerning ANY subject.

Chance favors the prepared mind. IMO
For most subjects I agree. When it comes to MA, it will end up with you entering the situation with a biased mind. Especially if the info is from an online source, where all you will see is our biases, rather than objective information on a non-objective subject. If you want proof of this, look at any of the krav maga or bjj threads (including the grappling thread that you were a part of recently)...people come in from different angle with viewpoints that completely contradict each other, and if you only heard one of those viewpoints before experiencing the art, your view walking in to a school would be entirely different.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

A new 2016 BMW 535i is the exact same car in Mianus, CT as it is in Intercourse, PA as it is in Wankers Corner, OR (yes, they're real places).

I train at a Seido Juku dojo in upstate NY. The dojo is quite different than one in Maryland that's 99% kids (don't quote me on the exact percentage), one of the dojos in New Zealand, or the headquarters dojo in NYC. The curriculum may be the same, but the teachers and students are different at every dojo, making each one a great fit or horrible fit for different people.

If you can't find a syllabus online, we're probably not going to be able to either. If you're interested in learning more about the style and dojo specifically, visit, call or email. It's your training not ours, therefore your homework and not ours.

Just don't get upset with us because we don't have the answers to what every organization and dojo is like.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

In the amount of time you've "wasted" whinging here, I think you could have followed the advice you were given and gone to the school to check it out...

Latest Discussions