Doshinkan

• Thread starter Deleted member 34973
  • Start date
OP
D

Deleted member 34973

A new 2016 BMW 535i is the exact same car in Mianus, CT as it is in Intercourse, PA as it is in Wankers Corner, OR (yes, they're real places).Not upset a bit,

I train at a Seido Juku dojo in upstate NY. The dojo is quite different than one in Maryland that's 99% kids (don't quote me on the exact percentage), one of the dojos in New Zealand, or the headquarters dojo in NYC. The curriculum may be the same, but the teachers and students are different at every dojo, making each one a great fit or horrible fit for different people.

If you can't find a syllabus online, we're probably not going to be able to either. If you're interested in learning more about the style and dojo specifically, visit, call or email. It's your training not ours, therefore your homework and not ours.

Just don't get upset with us because we don't have the answers to what every organization and dojo is like.
"chuckle"...No bub, I am not upset at all. I just wanted to know if anyone had any personal experience. I never said you knew a damn thing.

Kickboxer and I were in the begining stages of a discussion. Sure, I thought it odd that one couldn't find a lot about Doshinkan.

Hence the reason, I checked an earlier thread(see I follow some advice from the jury) and realized that the question about Doshinkan had already been discussed. With no fruitation.

My next comment was stating that fact.

The rest of the comments from there on, had nothing to do with my previous question "Does anybody have any personal experience Doshinkan?"

As for the go to the Dojo and check it "ya think".

To put down the idea that knowing about what it is they actually do. To research and ask questions about a specific art and a person plays it off as if its not one of the steps in deciding which art a person practices, well now, thats just a special kind of inexperience in the martial arts.

I also disagree with the statement that Martial Talk is not a place to learn about different techniques or different arts and to gain information concerning a specific system.

There are literally thousands of threads on Martail Talk alone, that will back my previous statement.

Upset...not in the least.

I am simply wondering if anybody on martial talk, has any experience with Doshinkan.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
And the statement " go try a class" has been beat to death on martial talk. Kind of starting wonder what this site is good for...if the only response is "try a class" that statement my friends...is simply played out. Contrary to popular belief...some people like to know what they are walking into.
Even if you asked about MY class, I would say ^come, try a class.^ There are too many things that you have to see and assess for yourself. I could describe it, tell you what we do... but you must still see for yourself. It could be something as simple as fitting or not fitting the chemistry of the class.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Even if you asked about MY class, I would say ^come, try a class.^ There are too many things that you have to see and assess for yourself. I could describe it, tell you what we do... but you must still see for yourself. It could be something as simple as fitting or not fitting the chemistry of the class.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
If you were unwilling to provide info about your system, I would be reluctant to attend a class. It would show me that you are not sure what you are doing. If you cant explain your system...you shouldnt be teaching.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
If you were unwilling to provide info about your system, I would be reluctant to attend a class. It would show me that you are not sure what you are doing. If you cant explain your system...you shouldnt be teaching.

Maybe instructors have better things to do with their time then explain their style over the Internet such as actually teaching paying customers who turn up wanting to learn

WaterGal

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Really, what kind of level of detail are you looking for? "Classes always start with 50 crunches and 50 jumping jacks, then we practice Such-and-such Kata 3 times, then we punch a heavy bag for 10 minutes, then we do side kick and roundhouse kick 50 times each, then we put on pads and do exactly 4 rounds of such-and-such style of point karate sparring"?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
You know what you remind me of kehcorpz he said something very similar about how since instructors didnt answer his list of hundreds of questions then they weren't good martial artists

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tell you what though I just dug out the email reply I got from my kicboxing club when I joined and thought I'd share it (yes I never use my emails so didnt long to find lol)

It said

"The begginers classes are varied between combinations on the pads and also strength and fitness exercises to keep the classes fun and at a level where people can progress their skills. When you get used to that the advanced class does sparring drills and free sparring."

See didnt tell me exactly what every move is but gave a rough idea of the club and what it does, it was good enough for me.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would however expect an instructor to tell me what type of martial they do lol, ie whether Judo or weapons, stand up or ground work. Some names of clubs can give nothing away, we for example are 'blank blank Martial Arts Club' ( others can have a Japanese/Korean/Chinese type name which doesn't actually refer to the style) and I would expect people to ask what we do, not in every detail but enough to help them decide whether it was for them. 'Doshinkan' means nothing to me, can't find out anything about it so yes I would be asking what type of martial art it is, if it were a Japanese archery style I could be interested if it were Sumo wrestling not so much.
I think too many are over thinking the OP's question, I think he wants a much simpler answer than you think he does.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score

I can explain my system just fine. If you're unwilling to get off your butt and go to the school, I would be reluctant to waste my time giving a detailed explanation. It would show me that you aren't a student.
Students get details. That is part of what they're paying for.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
That would meen Martial talk is a waste of time for advice.

Because it doesn't have personal experience in every martial art that exists?

You also make up the site. How about you go take a class and tell us what you think.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Pretty much disagree with all of these statements. If you can not or unwilling to explain in detail, what your specific systems teaches..it is clearly a waste of time to even train with you.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Pretty much disagree with all of these statements. If you can not or unwilling to explain in detail, what your specific systems teaches..it is clearly a waste of time to even train with you.

Maybe you just get off your computer and get to a school and do something instead of asking us to spoon feed you

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What details did the nearby place give you when you called/emailed them asking about it?

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
That website I gave you told you exactly what they train no it doesn't break down every move because that's what classes are for

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

But, that is just my personal opinion, I like to know what I am walking into. If you do not care about that. That is entirely up to you.

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

That website I gave you told you exactly what they train no it doesn't break down every move because that's what classes are for
It told YOU what you needed to know.
But, my original question is.."Does anybody have any PERSONAL experience with this system"

A simple no would have sufficed.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
It told YOU what you needed to know.
But, my original question is.."Does anybody have any PERSONAL experience with this system"

A simple no would have sufficed.
Even if we had experience that wouldn't give you any info that would help you we told you to go to a class and try it for yourself then you started being rude not to me but to others who said they wouldn't give you details about their school over the emails and you'd have to try and you said well if they can't explain they're obviously not good teachers

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Stating the obvious does become annoying and if Instructors can not or are not willing, to go into the logistics of the system they teach, then the are simply using car sales tactics or they do not have a clue concerning their system. Its a red flag. I disagree with the statement that I was rude.

If you cant answer the question...move along. You do not need to have an opinion about everything.

But making the statement "go try a class"...I will respond to with a previous response "ya think"

That is probably everyones first thought when considering a specific art.

I understand now that Martial Talk is not a place to find out info concerning the various systems.

Let it go man.

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Stating the obvious does become annoying and if Instructors can not or are not willing, to go into the logistics of the system they teach, then the are simply using car sales tactics or they do not have a clue concerning their system. Its a red flag. I disagree with the statement that I was rude.

If you cant answer the question...move along. You do not need to have an opinion about everything.

But making the statement "go try a class"...I will respond to with a previous response "ya think"

That is probably everyones first thought when considering a specific art.

I understand now that Martial Talk is not a place to find out info concerning the various systems.

Let it go man.
Yep because try a class is the only way to get proper information on whether you like it or not that's the way it is

OP
D

Deleted member 34973

Yep because try a class is the only way to get proper information on whether you like it or not that's the way it is
Disagree wholeheartedly. ...in this day and age, it is nolonger the case.

Latest Discussions