Domestic Assault in Public: A Case Study

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Seattle is pretty liberal. Took less than a minute to find a relatively recent example of a guy intervening to help someone else: Caught on Video: Good Samaritan saves woman from assault, fire at Ballard homeless camp
But what about the individual?

I don't want to say that political affiliation is going to determine whether or not someone intervenes, but the cultural differences are there. I don't know what the gun violence is like in Seattle. But I do know that, when someone not from around here gets involved and gets jumped by the boyfriend and the girlfriend; it's likely because of lack of experience in the setting that they now find themselves in.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
What doesn't help is that this is reporting an incident before the investigation was complete. What I tried to look for was whether or nor there were certain safety precautions that he wasn't following. For example, is the ladder supposed to be positioned and secured a certain way? Was he supposed to be wearing a harness?

If there were certain safety procedures and precautions that he failed to follow, then that would make him foolish.
You follow every safety precaution for everything you do? I don't believe that. Do you read all of the safety precautions in the instruction manual when you buy a new stand mixer or coffee maker?

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I don't think it matters. If I wanted to look for risk in an activity I could find it. I could then argue that risk makes the person who engaged in that activity foolish.
Only if there are established procedures in place to mitigate or eliminate the risk, and they were ignored.

Think more along the lines of sex without a condom. If you get a chick pregnant because you weren't wearing a condom, that's foolish. That's not the same thing as saying that the act of sexual intercourse, in and of itself, is foolish; which is basically what you're trying say that I'm saying.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
You follow every safety precaution for everything you do? I don't believe that. Do you read all of the safety precautions in the instruction manual when you buy a new stand mixer or coffee maker?
We all have our moments of stupidity. If I burn my finger on the coffee maker, I'll own that.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
But what about the individual?

I don't want to say that political affiliation is going to determine whether or not someone intervenes, but the cultural differences are there. I don't know what the gun violence is like in Seattle. But I do know that, when someone not from around here gets involved and gets jumped by the boyfriend and the girlfriend; it's likely because of lack of experience in the setting that they now find themselves in.
Gun violence is on the rise here like everywhere else. What I can tell you is that the guy was in Ballard. 30 years ago, Ballard was a bunch of old norskis and swedes, but now it's a case study for the rich/poor divide in Seattle... teslas parked next to derelict RVs... brand new million dollar walkups next to a tent city. The people who live in Seattle are mostly very liberal, and Ballard in particular. All that to say, I don't know this guy's political affiliation, but if I were a betting man, smart money's that he votes blue.

Steve

Mostly Harmless
Reaction score
We all have our moments of stupidity. If I burn my finger on the coffee maker, I'll own that.
Okay, so there's a spectrum involved. You're cool with some risk, just not above some threshold. Simply put, I think we are agreeing that we're all fools... just a matter of where one draws the line on the bravery/cowardice spectrum.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Okay, so there's a spectrum involved. You're cool with some risk, just not above some threshold. Simply put, I think we are agreeing that we're all fools... just a matter of where one draws the line on the bravery/cowardice spectrum.
I told you where I draw mine. The desired outcome has to be equal to or greater than what I'm risking.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Only if there are established procedures in place to mitigate or eliminate the risk, and they were ignored.

Think more along the lines of sex without a condom. If you get a chick pregnant because you weren't wearing a condom, that's foolish. That's not the same thing as saying that the act of sexual intercourse, in and of itself, is foolish; which is basically what you're trying say that I'm saying.

Ok. But I do MMA and am much more functional at fighting than the average Joe so the risk is less for me.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I would want someone to think it through before trying to rescue my wife. I rather have someone get good pictures of a license plate and the attacker. Call the police and maybe stall the attacker if possible. Any time spent talking to the attacker is a second not spent on my wife or daughter being beaten.

I would be more upset if you jump in get, get shot, die, and the attacker gets away. Because now the attacker isn't just thinking about punching his victim he's now thinking about getting rid of the witness. Because you jumped in without getting important information, no the police don't have much to go on with trying to find my daughter and the attacker.

I don't think anyone is saying " don't help." Just be smart about it if you do decide to help. Use your mind read the situation and make the best choice.

You can jump in to save a woman, but what happens to her after you beat up her boyfriend. Maybe they live together. Are you going to be there the next day to save her when the boyfriend beats her up for not helping him fight you.

I think about these things because I've had to deal with these things. Just some food for thought. Choose an option that doesn't get you killed or make things worse.
Okay, duly noted. I will not jump in to save anyone you love.

Oh, I so want to bump into you right now.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
This is such a weird thread in that it feels like it is an argument for acting cowardly.

I'm just going to be frank: if you treat your life as if it's worth preventing someone else from getting a black eye, that's not bravery. That's just pure bravado, and nothing else.

Last edited:
OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Here's what's really telling: the fact that the woman involved in this didn't even care enough to tell the guy that her boyfriend had a gun.

The people you're willing to die for don't even give a damn about you.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Okay, duly noted. I will not jump in to save anyone you love.

Oh, I so want to bump into you right now.
I would never ask you or anyone else to physically jump in to save someone I love. I wouldn't even ask you to do that for me.Your life is just as important as those I love. Don't waste by doing things that may take you away from those who love you and depend on you.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
This is such a weird thread in that it feels like it is an argument for acting cowardly.
Yet, still we would save them. Cuz, you know.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The people you're willing to die for don't even give a damn about you.
Exactly. For me personally. I will always try to help. But to throw my life away on a situation I may not fully understand is not something I take lightly.

Not every woman is a damsel in distress. I've seen too much on the streets to think that. I treat situations like that the same way I treat 2 guys fighting.

People can hate me for being like this, but unless I have a professional duty. I just don't jump in with a super cape thinking I'm trying to save someone. All I can tell them is "Don't hate me. Hate the streets." Cause that's what's out there. If it's not like that where they live then they should feel blessed and fortunate.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Hey, CB, if we sit by and do nothing do you think we can still get a Participation Trophy?

That would be kinda cool.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey, CB, if we sit by and do nothing do you think we can still get a Participation Trophy?

That would be kinda cool.

Absolutely....because we fully supported them emotionally.....physically, not so much.

OP
Urban Trekker

Urban Trekker

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Exactly. For me personally. I will always try to help. But to throw my life away on a situation I may not fully understand is not something I take lightly.

Not every woman is a damsel in distress. I've seen too much on the streets to think that. I treat situations like that the same way I treat 2 guys fighting.

People can hate me for being like this, but unless I have a professional duty. I just don't jump in with a super cape thinking I'm trying to save someone. All I can tell them is "Don't hate me. Hate the streets." Cause that's what's out there. If it's not like that where they live then they should feel blessed and fortunate.

Yes! If she's in a relationship with a dude who's a straight up thug, she's likely a Jezebel herself. I was thinking that the whole time but didn't want to say it earlier, because I don't want to be accused of victim-blaming. But many of these women out here are more than willing to throw hands with a man. I don't know why, because they're not going to win, yet they do it anyway.

Latest Discussions