Dog Attacks.

OP
A

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Originally posted by GouRonin

Arnisador...I can't even begin to explain why this guy is wrong.

Right or wrong, it is all commonly given advice for animal attacks--waive your arms to appear bigger, make noice. I wouldn't get into a barking war though as it's apt to rile them up further I'd think.

I've heard the push-your-arm-far-back-in-th-mouth and the hit-'em-on-the-snout advice before too.

FUZZYJ692000

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Okay, where I live at people tend to drop dogs off that they don't want anymore so we tend to have some that travel in packs. I've known 3 people that have been attacked by these packs and some single strays. Yelling...normally doesn't work-especially if they're not travelling alone. Couple years ago I was walking with my a friend when 2 strays tried to attack us....her dog coward behind her (real good protector) and luckily there was a really big stick and rock near by. Lucky for us I have good aiming. After that she started carrying a baseball bat if there was word that there was a pack terrorizing the area. My advice if a dog is approaching you and is getting ready to attack, think quick and grab something big and hard to throw or hit it with, cause you're not going to out run it.

Aikikitty

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I've heard that saying "no" and "Go home" works but I've never heard of "being loud" or "making yourself seem bigger". Wouldn't that just panic the dog more. I thought that was just for bears. I've also heard to never run away because the dogs instinct will kick in to chase down their prey or something like that. Surely there must be a time to run, right? :confused: A few days ago, I was babysitting and as soon as I put the kid to bed, I became a stranger in the house to the family's yellow Labrador. The dog growled at me and he seemed to just get more fierce when I tried to talk soothingly to it so I just went into another part of the house and left it alone. Dumb dog. :mad:

Robyn :lookie:

C

chufeng

Turner,

That little bit of time...when the dog backs off...that's when you run like crazy...

Are you nuts??? Standing there to see what effect your ammonia had on the dog???

Run, man, run...

Then, the dog isn't really hurt, and neither are you...

Oh, btw, I do believe that the Shaolin monks had one thing right...when you can avoid harming another, that is the best course.

:asian:
chufeng

E

ECYili

I've heard a few things.

This one takes some guts but heard from couple of folks including my brother who's very knowledgable about these sort of things. But if the dog is running at you try running at it. When the dog starts after you it has predermined in it's mind the distance and time it's going to take to get to you. By running or moving into him it basically throws off it's timing. I did something like this once while training this big boxer start galloping towrds me and I stepped towards him, pointed at it and told him not even think about it and the dog ran off.
I've also heard that if the dog does managed to get ahold of you arm or hand is to ram it down it's throat as far as you can. This will basically gag him. I would rather sacrifice an cut up arm or hand then to be possibly killed.
The other my father actually had to use one. Now granted he's a pretty strong guy but the dog got him on the arm. He was able to get behind it and he took his other hand and put it and the dogs nose and pushed into the dogs chest as hard and as far as it would go. This actually started to choke the dog and his instinct to live overided what ever else it was trying to do. Again I would sacrifice my arm then to be possibly mauled to death.

Just some thougts

Dan

E

ECYili

How about adding something constructive to this topic instead of snide comments and bad manners.

Dan

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by ECYili
How about adding something constructive to this topic instead of snide comments and bad manners.
Dan

Sure, right after you kiss my @ss.

Cheers!

:D

E

ECYili

Geesh, it feels like I'm back in the 4th grade again. What a shame when adults have to act like children. Truly saddened with what martial arts are teaching people now-a-days :(

G

GouRonin

Truly saddened with what martial arts are teaching people now-a-days

I blame the McDojos that pump this false image of an enlightened state of being from stuying martial arts into people's heads.

Of course I think that the idea that we'll all get along because people do martial arts is a load of crud too. It's not like you're practicing to hug and sing folks songs while holding hands.

As a friend of mine once said. "You put a bunch of martial artists in a room together and a fight breaks out...quelle surprise."

Actually, I'd be more surprised if it didn't.

E

ECYili

not sure what your getting at. Are you saying that you practice martial arts only to get in fights and hurt people? Can you clarify for me?

R

RyuShiKan

I blame the McDojos that pump this false image of an enlightened state of being from stuying martial arts into people's heads.

I blame any art that doesn't teach it's students proper respect.............not just a McDojo.

Of course I think that the idea that we'll all get along because people do martial arts is a load of crud too.

One of the main reasons why courtesy is stressed in the martial arts is so people don't get pissed off and kill each other over petty crap.

It's not like you're practicing to hug and sing folks songs while holding hands.

This is true, but it also doesn't give someone a license to act like a jerk either.

R

RyuShiKan

As a friend of mine once said. "You put a bunch of martial artists in a room together and a fight breaks out...quelle surprise."

I think if you put a bunch of "hot heads" in a room that think they have something to prove I am sure a fight will break out.

You put skilled people in a room and they may or may not like each other but I doubt they will fight unless outright physically attacked.

Speaking of attacks.........get back to the Dog attack stuff.

E

ECYili

My thoughts exactly Ryu

A great book to read if you want to see how a martial artist is supposed to be is Karate-Do "My of Life" by Gichin Funakoshi (sp) It will only take you about a half a day to read but it's great.

Ryu. Are you the gentalmen that trained with Oyata Sensei that my fellow stylist Matt Stone trains with? If so make sure you whip up on him a little more just for me ha ha ha ha

Dan

G

GouRonin

not sure what your getting at. Are you saying that you practice martial arts only to get in fights and hurt people? Can you clarify for me?

I'm saying that the reasons that I study martial arts might be very different than the ones you study them for, so don't expect me to live up to the vision you have.

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by RyuShiKan
I think if you put a bunch of "hot heads" in a room that think they have something to prove I am sure a fight will break out.
You put skilled people in a room and they may or may not like each other but I doubt they will fight unless outright physically attacked.

Hey, believe that if you want. I think you're wrong.

R

RyuShiKan

My thoughts exactly Ryu

A great book to read if you want to see how a martial artist is supposed to be is Karate-Do "My of Life" by Gichin Funakoshi (sp) It will only take you about a half a day to read but it's great.

Another one is "RyuTe no Michi"..........it can be found on my website if you go to either the Book Review Section or the Tapes and Books link.

Ryu. Are you the gentalmen that trained with Oyata Sensei that my fellow stylist Matt Stone trains with? If so make sure you whip up on him a little more just for me ha ha ha ha

Dan

Will do. ;)

G

GouRonin

Is IS a good book. It's a book written by one man and his point of view. It does NOT mean that this is what a martial artists is supposed to be like. You just happen to agree with him.

Matt Stone

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Well, there is, in addition to the "hotheads" issue, the additional "my pissing range is longer than yours" issue...

When juvenile young boys (regardless of age - I have met "boys" that were in their 30s) get together and can't manage to let others know where they stand without being rude, amateurish, peurile and other really big words that mean child-like :D, then things like that happen...

First thing you are supposed to learn in martial arts is how to bow. Not because you are trying to absorb asian culture, not because it is tradition. Because with great power comes responsibility. One of those responsibilities is to not use your super-powers for evil :D. The only way to avoid that mess is to cultivate humility.

Hard to earn an *** kicking from someone that won't get pissy no matter what kind of puke you might be...

Just my 2 yen...

As for the dog issue, over the years I have used several of the methods mentioned above - yelling, waving my arms, talking soothingly, commands ("go home," "bad dog," etc.), and running like mad. All have had mixed results. Used to have a neighbor with a rather bad tempered Doby as a pet/guard animal. It used to try to jump me pretty regularly. It was growling at me pretty fiercely, baring its teeth - so I did it right back (I was in junior high, so don't comment on how stupid this was - like I knew better!). Amazingly, the dog seemed so confused by this, his ears pricked up and he looked a little surprised, then snuck off to his dog house... Left me alone completely after that...

Gambatte.

:samurai: :samurai:

G

GouRonin

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
First thing you are supposed to learn in martial arts is how to bow. Not because you are trying to absorb asian culture, not because it is tradition. Because with great power comes responsibility. One of those responsibilities is to not use your super-powers for evil. The only way to avoid that mess is to cultivate humility.

Again these are your opinions of what is supposed to happen. These are things that you believe in. I'm not saying they are right or wrong. Just that there are those who hold different opinions and they are just as right and wrong as yours are.

Originally posted by Yiliquan1
As for the dog issue, over the years I have used several of the methods mentioned above. All have had mixed results.

Bingo.

I stated earlier that there is no set method of dealing with dogs etc and it's dangerous to start throwing out urban legends that you have heard because you think they might work.

I once had a dog bite me and hold on. No matter what I did it wouldn't let go until I headbutted it and it let go and stumbled back stunned long enough for me get away. I would not start to tell people that this is foolproof way to deal with dogs.

This thread would be better served by perhaps sharing experiences of what did work and what did not and then stating that this may or may not work. Not what old Bob down at the stip mall dojo told you would work.

Latest Discussions