Does your Sifu approve of you posting here?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
So, it doesn't matter and I don't need to know, but was it at least someone from your lineage or just some internet rando?

I suspect it was an upper level black belt in my style who knew my sensei. Never figured out specifically who though.

wanderingstudent

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The beatings I can take. It's the caning, that really bothers me. Which is why I post under an alias.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suspect it was an upper level black belt in my style who knew my sensei. Never figured out specifically who though.
Was the issue that you posted here or something specific that you posted? If answering would get you in trouble, dont, I just dont understand the idea that posting in a forum is something to be frowned on.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Was the issue that you posted here or something specific that you posted? If answering would get you in trouble, dont, I just dont understand the idea that posting in a forum is something to be frowned on.

I never had any idea what the issue was.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a similar issue a while back, but it was with someone senior in the organization I was in at the time. I won't post details publicly, but if you're interested PM me.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Happened more than once, I'm told. Apparently I offended someone to the point they thought my sensei would shut me up. Dude, I'm 57 years old, not 10.

Wow. If people think these posts can be insensitive Tell my coach I hurt someone's feelings on the internet.

pdg

Senior Master
Reaction score
Wow. If people think these posts can be insensitive Tell my coach I hurt someone's feelings on the internet.

Internet feelings are the worst kind of feelings to hurt.

You should be ashamed if it's even a possibility that you hurt somebody's internet feels.

The only way to seek redemption is to watch a cute kitten video.

PiedmontChun

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Its weird how WC is so tribal. I suppose it can easily happen when a martial art is so fractured into different organizations that different groups either end up doing things differently. Or maybe they split because they did things differently, but that's a "what came first, the chicken or the egg?" type argument I guess. WC is certainly not the only TMA that has that tribalism; it just seems to come up all the time. And the secrecy with some! My old WT school would have gladly welcomed a new student for a free intro class, but strongly discouraged people observing a class out of curiosity, and would not have welcomed a traveling student from another organization. I thought that was normal. After all, we don't want people copying our ways!

In contrast, I have found the BJJ community is so open; people are almost encouraged to go train at other schools because it means you either 1) learn from others who have something that you do not (and bring that experience back to your school), or 2) test yourself against others outside your school. Either way, it only sharpens you as a martial artist. I haven't had opportunity yet but when the need comes up to visit my client's headquarters for work - I already know where I will be taking in an out of town class!

As I type this, I think of multiple guys here who have put out an invitation for people traveling to pop in and train, so obviously there are WC/WT guys that are very open.

Last edited:

ShortBridge

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
We are far from "very open", but I've been welcomed in other clubs when I've traveled and I try to be hospitable when it is appropriate. I really just don't want anyone disrupting my class. If I have a good feeling about their intentions and character, we can be a very friendly group.

I'll always meet pretty much anybody for a beer or cup of coffee if they want to talk shop.

Latest Discussions