What lineage are you studying?

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
I know the lineage of a few of you. But just out of curiosity, what lineage of WT/WC/VT do you/ have you studied?
Please don't let this turn into a p***ing contest.

I asked, so I guess I'll start.
Leung Ting lineage, began in AWTO/EBMAS under Emin Boztepe.
Now studying under Sifu Allan Fong, a former HK student of Leung Ting.

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know the lineage of a few of you. But just out of curiosity, what lineage of WT/WC/VT do you/ have you studied?
Please don't let this turn into a p***ing contest.

I asked, so I guess I'll start.
Leung Ting lineage, began in AWTO/EBMAS under Emin Boztepe.
Now studying under Sifu Allan Fong, a former HK student of Leung Ting.

Hey Yak, you know what WT lineage I'm in. But yesterday, a buddy and I got together with another guy from a local (private) EBMAS group. A big strong guy with a great attitude. WE all had an excellent time. His teacher and mine are both cool with us sharing, as long as we keep it quiet. So I won't mention names. But I'm hoping the practice group grows to include other WC groups. If your head is in the right place, training with other lineages isn't a problem. (of course EBMAS is WT and isn't another lineage... just a different association with a different "attitude").

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hey Yak, you know what WT lineage I'm in. But yesterday, a buddy and I got together with another guy from a local (private) EBMAS group. A big strong guy with a great attitude. WE all had an excellent time. His teacher and mine are both cool with us sharing, as long as we keep it quiet. So I won't mention names. But I'm hoping the practice group grows to include other WC groups. If your head is in the right place, training with other lineages isn't a problem. (of course EBMAS is WT and isn't another lineage... just a different association with a different "attitude").

Think how much better everyone would be without all the politics and "my si-fu can beat up your si-fu " crap.

sesvet

White Belt
Reaction score
I'm from the Leung Ting lineage. My Sifu trained under Tam Hung Fun in the 80's.

With all this politics going on the only people who suffers will be those learning the art. Power and money will change alot of people.

All I'm concern is to learn as much as I can whether it is from WT, WC or VT. Sharing of ideas is how we grow which is a important part of the art which is why I thoroughly enjoy this forum.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I'm originally from Ving Tsun Museum so we had a wide array of Wing Chun that was taught.

It went from the Moy Yat-Ip Ching Wing Chun: through Benny Meng
Chi Sim Weng Chun- Andreas Hoffmann
Hokkien Eng Chun- Kenneth Lin
Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun- Garrett Gee

But now as far as Wing Chun it's Garrett Gee- Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun- and Wudang Pai

and also Henry Chung- Tong Long Quan

And that's it... :)

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
First 4 years, Zepeda, Bill Wong, Moy Yat, Jip Man.

Last 22 years, Zepeda, Francis Fong, Jiu Wan, Chan Mim, Chan Wah Shun.

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
. . . . .Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun- Garrett Gee

But now as far as Wing Chun it's Garrett Gee- Hung Fa Yi Wing Chun- and Wudang Pai :)

Tensei85, I have the book written by Garrett Gee Sifu and Benny Meng Sifu titled 'Shaolin Kung Fu'. Found it quite by accident and didn't realize it was about WC until I opened it just to see what Shaolin Kung Fu was. It's a very good book, what I would call required reading for anyone training in WC.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Tensei85, I have the book written by Garrett Gee Sifu and Benny Meng Sifu titled 'Shaolin Kung Fu'. Found it quite by accident and didn't realize it was about WC until I opened it just to see what Shaolin Kung Fu was. It's a very good book, what I would call required reading for anyone training in WC.

I agree, its a great read! And has a lot of interesting views even from a history viewpoint. However as with anything I'm never the type of person to say that one lineage is more accurate or has more merit than another. As far as that line of thought, I try to stay subjective and take interesting views from other lineages and practitioners as well. So for myself I believe we all have a piece of the puzzle known as "Wing Chun" and we all deserve mutual respect and even more to share our knowledge of Wing Chun. I know that's way off topic lol, but it's just something that's been on my mind lately. :)

profesormental

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mine is Ip Man-Jiu Wan-Jason Lau line with extra heavy emphasis on fighting. Also learned a lot from training in Ip Man-Leung Sheung-Ng Wah Sum-C.K. Chow lineage, heavy emphasis on correct positioning and movement.

Now I use heavy duty martial sciences which give me a very profound insight into the training of Wing Chun. This comes from the teachings of Dr. Ron Chapél, Dr. John LaTourrette and the Lamkin brothers mostly, and my own effort. The lineage is from Ed Parker, American Kenpo.

Thus my Wing Chun has very subtle differences that have meant the difference between getting a beatdown and not getting one. The differences are in the HOW of the forms. They are almost undetectable if not explained. The differences are in what I think is the Daoist philosophical application to martial activities.

So I guess now I'm working on my own contribution to Wing Chun without loosing the Wing Chun.

Hope that answers your question.

Juan M. Mercado-Robles

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
Mine is Ip Man-Jiu Wan-Jason Lau line with extra heavy emphasis on fighting.

profesormental, how long did you train with SiBak Jason Lau? As you know, he and Sifu Francis were very close at one time, training as teenagers and also hanging out together when they came to the U.S.

So you're not with SiBak Jason anymore? May I ask why?

zepedawingchun

Black Belt
Reaction score
I agree, its a great read! And has a lot of interesting views even from a history viewpoint. However as with anything I'm never the type of person to say that one lineage is more accurate or has more merit than another. As far as that line of thought, I try to stay subjective and take interesting views from other lineages and practitioners as well. So for myself I believe we all have a piece of the puzzle known as "Wing Chun" and we all deserve mutual respect and even more to share our knowledge of Wing Chun. I know that's way off topic lol, but it's just something that's been on my mind lately. :)

I am a little skeptical about any one lineage claiming to be the original art of anything or unchanged since inception also. It's just human nature to put your own twist on things or teach what you like best. Everyone has their unique style or way of teaching that affects the outcome of any martial art to a student. As long as the core theories, principles, and concepts are unchanged, there's nothing wrong in expressing the art it in our own way. WC was designed so that each person could use their own skill and imagination, limited only by our own creativity.

Tensei85

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I am a little skeptical about any one lineage claiming to be the original art of anything or unchanged since inception also. It's just human nature to put your own twist on things or teach what you like best. Everyone has their unique style or way of teaching that affects the outcome of any martial art to a student. As long as the core theories, principles, and concepts are unchanged, there's nothing wrong in expressing the art it in our own way. WC was designed so that each person could use their own skill and imagination, limited only by our own creativity.

Definitely agreed. As far as history is concerned I remain subjective and somewhat skeptical given the nature of "oral histories" (legends). I believe everyone has an interesting take on the origins of Wing Chun, but I take what's useful and remain skeptical about the rest even based on my own lineage's perspective. But its great to know where you come from but it doesn't always help you get to where your going. ; )

But I agree with you 100%

LoneRider

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I've studied for two years under Sifu Armando Sainz (Sigung Bill Graves often made appearances at our school) who was trained by Sigung Carl Godwin. We are descended from Ip Man's line.

Martial_Dragon

White Belt
Reaction score
Yp Man / Leung Ting lineage under Sifu Hans Jörg Reimers (World Martial Arts Alliance).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Yp Man / Leung Ting lineage under Sifu Hans Jörg Reimers (World Martial Arts Alliance).

If it's originally from Leung Ting, it would be a branch of WT (Wing Tsun) right? I know that WT has split into a number of different branches. Could you tell more about yours?

Si-Je

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I won't tell anymore. lol!
When I find out, I might let you know. ;)

Latest Discussions