Does Your Lineage use knee strikes

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I was woundering How your WC Lineages deals with attacking with knees and defending against them.

Most WC guys on Forums rarely speak of knees. People in MMA who do wing chun say they never used them because they may be taking down to ground?

Does your Lineage teach knee strikes?

Please share some of the Drills?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was woundering How your WC Lineages deals with attacking with knees and defending against them.

Most WC guys on Forums rarely speak of knees. People in MMA who do wing chun say they never used them because they may be taking down to ground?

Does your Lineage teach knee strikes?

Please share some of the Drills?
Yes , we use a straight knee and a round house knee always with some sort of body control to increase the force of the knee strike . Typically by latching the arm and pulling them into the knee or latching the back of the neck for a straight knee to the bladder .

Defending against knees is very difficult because of the close range and the power they can generate . If he is in knee range you are also in punching range and usually your arms will have longer range than his knees unless he is very tall , in which case you can increase your range by using Bil Tze to the eyes .

As a last resort you can bring your own knee up to counter his knee which might result in a clash but that is better than getting a full power knee strike in the groin .

Or if the knee comes up high bring the point of your elbow down onto the top of his thigh and spike him , making sure to keep the Wu Sau high in front of your face .

Nabakatsu

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I've just started ebmas which i'm sure you already know but yeah, in the short ammount of time i've been there we sometimes finish class up with "what if scenarios" and one of them was being in a clench with a MT guy who is kneeing you, we were shown a way to grab there arms knee the elbow and pull down whilst bring our elbows in and tuck them as far in so that they are touching to block the knees, there were some other specifics involves depending on the persons skill level and size differances, range and what have you, but thats the general information about it.

qwksilver61

Black Belt
Reaction score
A jumping "butting" forward thrusting knee applied when the knee or leg is grabbed,a definite positive hard upward knee strike when the perpetrator is lunging at your mid section,timing is important,ie;wrestler, this includes pinning the opponent (gum) and lifting the knee simultaneously ( follow with hard elbow to spine).also try to deflect a kick,outside or,inside...then lunge forward...knee striking the lower abdomen....combined with hand tech...works great.....two cents.....

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Excellent Response...I agree we have so much in common in this respect.

Yes , we use a straight knee and a round house knee always with some sort of body control to increase the force of the knee strike . Typically by latching the arm and pulling them into the knee or latching the back of the neck for a straight knee to the bladder .

Defending against knees is very difficult because of the close range and the power they can generate . If he is in knee range you are also in punching range and usually your arms will have longer range than his knees unless he is very tall , in which case you can increase your range by using Bil Tze to the eyes .

As a last resort you can bring your own knee up to counter his knee which might result in a clash but that is better than getting a full power knee strike in the groin .

Or if the knee comes up high bring the point of your elbow down onto the top of his thigh and spike him , making sure to keep the Wu Sau high in front of your face .

Latest Discussions