Does Wing Chun have jumps in the air

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Does Wing Chun having Jumping in it?

I spoke with some people on another forum. I shared with them about the Jumps in Wing Chun. They said Wing Chun doesn't come off the ground!!!

My Question is what about the Butterfly Knives?

Check the Links:

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What if someone swings a long pole at your ankles an your too close to back up but to far to bridge the gap in one step. Do you take the wack on your ankles or shins? What if its a three sectional staff coming for your legs?

Is Jumping allowed then?

trust them! GM's and Masters! ask them! better not leave the ground! if you do join the Air Force!

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if someone swings a long pole at your ankles an your too close to back up but to far to bridge the gap in one step. Do you take the wack on your ankles or shins? What if its a three sectional staff coming for your legs?

Is Jumping allowed then?

If you jump then you have lost any connection with the ground and your stance is useless .
You should try to move in as fast as you can , because just like a baseball bat you don't want to be hit with the end part which is traveling the fastest , if you have to get hit you want it to be further up near where it is being gripped because that will be moving the slowest and have the least amount of power.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What if its a nine foot pole. An your too far in middle to run closer to your foe. and too far outside to stop from getting wack in the shins by the end of the pole?

What if your trying to run away. Your being jumped by twenty guys. Also as you are running someone comes sliding in front of you trying to sweep you while your running.

Do you stop and take the sweep when you got ten guys behind you gaining with crow bars. No time to run around because velocity and momentum is too fast to move to side. So you can either stop set and try to root so you don't get sweep or do you jump?

What if someone has a Samurai Sword and you just did take down so their on their back. An they swing the sword towards your feet. an at that time you can't back up or move in because all you thinking is my feet finna get cut off. Is it okay to jump then?

Hmmm......got a good point there....do you stand in front of train and wait?

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
What if its a nine foot pole. An your too far in middle to run closer to your foe. and too far outside to stop from getting wack in the shins by the end of the pole?

What if your trying to run away. Your being jumped by twenty guys. Also as you are running someone comes sliding in front of you trying to sweep you while your running.

Do you stop and take the sweep when you got ten guys behind you gaining with crow bars. No time to run around because velocity and momentum is too fast to move to side. So you can either stop set and try to root so you don't get sweep or do you jump?

What if someone has a Samurai Sword and you just did take down so their on their back. An they swing the sword towards your feet. an at that time you can't back up or move in because all you thinking is my feet finna get cut off. Is it okay to jump then?

These are all hypothetical situations , and sometimes we have to accept that there is not a solution to every situation . You can play these what if games all day , for example what if some one creeps up behind and stabs me in the back with a knife , well the answer is I probably die .

You will not know what you will do until you are put in that situation , if some one is swinging a sword at your legs that is a very extreme situation and might call for a little bending of the rules on your part and that might mean jumping the strike if it is not possible for you to move in .

But if you are faced with some one wielding a weapon then the best way of defending against that weapon is to have a weapon your self or at least something to shield your self with so you can move in to attack .

Mystic Wolf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
There is a time and a place to jump, it just depends on the situation. But it is important to know how to jump and land properly.

When you start to learn the butterfly knives, you do learn how to jump:

seasoned

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmmm......got a good point there....do you stand in front of train and wait?

Jump when they come in, not when you go in. One leg sweep, lift one leg. Two leg sweep, jump, or go down.

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thank you mystic wolf. In your lineage do you guys have a chinese word for Jumping techniques and ducking techniques?

There is a time and a place to jump, it just depends on the situation. But it is important to know how to jump and land properly.

When you start to learn the butterfly knives, you do learn how to jump:

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
That form that William Cheung is doing is totally different than the knife form that my Sifu practiced . In our form there are no no jumps and definitely no kicks. Our form has a lot of crouching movements in it , so that against a low attack you are in a half crouching position with one knife pointing up to guard your head and the other one pointing down to guard your lower body . I am not criticising William Cheungs form but merely pointing out the differences between his form and ours.

Mystic Wolf

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I had a student who ask a similar qustion the other day. I said "yes", and then demonstrated.
I chained my training partner down, while he was lying there, I jumped in the air and simulated giving him a mexican tatoo (shoe print in the head).

OP
Yoshiyahu

Yoshiyahu

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Wow how painful....sorry for the training partner. You really rough on them...

I may have asked the question wrong mook Jjong man....I should have said does your WC lineage have jumps?

I had a student who ask a similar qustion the other day. I said "yes", and then demonstrated.
I chained my training partner down, while he was lying there, I jumped in the air and simulated giving him a mexican tatoo (shoe print in the head).

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
That form that William Cheung is doing is totally different than the knife form that my Sifu practiced...

I must agree with Mook on this point, though I admit that I'm no expert on the Bart Cham Dao. In my WT lineage it is basically a master's level form, and not taught publicly. But, I have witnessed various versions of this form performed by several WC and WT masters of reputable Yip Man lineages, and none of them look anything like the form William Cheung demonstrates here. Mook is very diplomatic. I don't wish to offend anybody either, but I honestly doubt that the form William Cheung demonstrates in this videoclip comes from GGM Yip, or from any other old and established lineage. I suspect it is almost entirely a creation of William Cheung himself. Beyond that, I will not hazard any opinion.

Oh, and regarding jumping--I'd say it would be most unusual in the WC/WT that I've seen. It seems to contradict the general emphasis on rooted stance and sound structure. However, there's an exception to every rule. And if you have a fertile enough imagination, I'm certain you can envision situations in which you would have to jump. For example, I once worked in a foundry. What if I got in a fight with a co-worker and we overturned the red-hot crucible and spilled molten bronze all over the floor? Or if we suddenly found ourselves sparring in the middle of a swarm of flesh-eating scorpions? With these and other likely scenarios in mind, remember, "Never say never!"

mook jong man

Senior Master
Reaction score
I must agree with Mook on this point, though I admit that I'm no expert on the Bart Cham Dao. In my WT lineage it is basically a master's level form, and not taught publicly. But, I have witnessed various versions of this form performed by several WC and WT masters of reputable Yip Man lineages, and none of them look anything like the form William Cheung demonstrates here. Mook is very diplomatic. I don't wish to offend anybody either, but I honestly doubt that the form William Cheung demonstrates in this videoclip comes from GGM Yip, or from any other old and established lineage. I suspect it is almost entirely a creation of William Cheung himself. Beyond that, I will not hazard any opinion.

Oh, and regarding jumping--I'd say it would be most unusual in the WC/WT that I've seen. It seems to contradict the general emphasis on rooted stance and sound structure. However, there's an exception to every rule. And if you have a fertile enough imagination, I'm certain you can envision situations in which you would have to jump. For example, I once worked in a foundry. What if I got in a fight with a co-worker and we overturned the red-hot crucible and spilled molten bronze all over the floor? Or if we suddenly found ourselves sparring in the middle of a swarm of flesh-eating scorpions? With these and other likely scenarios in mind, remember, "Never say never!"

Thats me , ever the diplomat.
In the clip he is not only jumping he is twirling around in the air turning his back , thats a pretty committed movement in my book and one that would probably leave you open to being stabbed or slashed in the back .

Latest Discussions