Does age or size really matter?

frank raud

Master of Arts
Reaction score
If your question is "Can I do anything with my size once they get a proper hold on me?" The answer is probably not most of the time.

And I doubt a 10 year old had extraordinarily powerful legs, you just learned how potent a good hold can be.
If he was lying flat on his back, I think the technique is usually called a reverse sankaku jime.One leg wrapped around head/neck/arm, tucked into back of knee of other leg and sitting down applies extra pressure on the leg lock. Physics and body mechanics make it work, not strength. If it was a normal triangle choke, it would be easier (not easy!) to break out of the legs.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do not need to take the size and age of someone when I have my gun drawn on someone from 10 feet away pointed at his center mass with 38 slugs, I will take in consideration if he is on PCP but again emptying my rounds in him he can be 6'6 and 300 lbs he is going down

So if they're 52 pounds and 8 years old, that doesn't matter to you? If it doesn't, then you probably shouldn't own a gun.

And even if we limit it to adults... a very large person, shot with a low power round like the .38 you mentioned, firing slugs (which is a word usually used to refer to solid lead bullets, a type most suited to shooting paper targets) from a short barreled handgun may well not be seriously injured. I've seen weak rounds like those slowed so much by heavy winter clothing that they did no serious injury whatsoever.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
You cant make yourself taller. You can make yourself better.

So the point of this sise vs technique thing is to focus on what you can fix.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You cant make yourself taller. You can make yourself better.

So the point of this sise vs technique thing is to focus on what you can fix.

Exactly Bear. Size just means more room to experiment to me. Within the confines of the opponent of course.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Does it really when I draw my gun on you?
How about the 200lb who has never fought before vs the 150lb who is a black belt in several arts? Size matters in some cases, weapons can be the equalizers, fighting dirty, having the mind set to kill your opponent, having experience in fighting all our factors.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
If size didn't matter, then there wouldn't be weight classes in combat sports.

Like others have said, it isn't the only factor but it IS a factor to be considered. Whether martial artists want to admit it or not, strength is a technique when properly utilized.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score

If you're going to post a clip from the Trinity flicks, gotta' include this sucker.

As to the size question, as the old saying goes -

The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that is the way to bet.

Mattattack

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Interesting convo. To my mind size affects things on both a tactical and strategic level.

On a tactical level, size affects what techniques one should use (obviously), but it also affects conditioning. We've all heard the smaller-quicker/bigger-slower cliche. That should never be taken for granted. Speed can't equalize things for a smaller person if that person doesn't condition that way,. I'm not saying that people should only train to their strengths and ignore their weaknesses, but rather they should develop their strengths (speed, reach, strength, technique, precision, etc.) and not count on them to magically appear in paper-rock-scissors fashion (you are big and strong, so you must be slow. I'm small so I am probably faster).

David had to practice his sling-thrower a great deal before he KO'd Goliath with it.

On a strategic level size affects general rules of engagement. If I were a taller, more built dude I could probably end a lot of fights before they start just by being physically intimidating. Since I'm about average I need to lean more on evasion and de-escalation.

Tony Dismukes

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yes i wasnt fighting her, but still what shocked me was when she squeezed, i tried to get her legs loose and couldnt, i was pretty much powerless. that little girl had powerful legs , stronger than my arms at least.
As everyone has said, size and strength (and other physical attributes) do matter. They may not always be the deciding factor, but they are factors.

That said, superior strength is most helpful when you know how to use it. Once you are locked into someone's triangle choke (sankaku jime), trying to pry their legs free with your arms is pretty much the least effective way you could have attempted to use your greater size and strength. As you discovered, that method is likely to fail even against a much smaller opponent.